• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My 5G 42MM QC Pics from Lay....

idontknow

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
Obviously the new stock arrived as he said it would, and I just got my pic notification in the last hour or so.

Up for your comment-

qc1.jpg

qc2b.jpg

qc3u.jpg

qc4v.jpg

qc5eb.jpg

Now I just have my BK Sub C out there (waiting for him to finish then send to pbdad for finishing touches).....

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Is that UPO 45mm??? If so i think its the first time i see a globe on the case back... But the teeth seem like 42mm. Very nice engravement at the clasp,dial ok,crystal ok,and the pearl is acceptable... Go for it...

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
It's a 42mm, the 45 is WAY too big for my small wrists. I thought it looked pretty good to. Not a bad deal all the way around.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
What movement you choose? Any photo?

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
I stuck with the $198 special with the Asian 2824-2. Figuring that if I FUBAR it somewhere along the way I could easily acquire and replace myself.

Cee

Renowned Member
1/6/11
198$ special?...

Might have to check that out! Looks like a lovely watch to me, I'm kinda jealous right now. I will have mine soon!

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
I stuck with the $198 special with the Asian 2824-2. Figuring that if I FUBAR it somewhere along the way I could easily acquire and replace myself.

And you did the right thing at a very good price! Good choice!!!

seventhexile

I'm Pretty Popular
7/7/08
Hmm .. I have a plan of making a nice UP Franken - I wonder if this < $200 sub could work for that.

I know Josh has a 'light' version for around $200, but he told me that it wouldn't fit gen parts.

Curious to see if the one you got is any different.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Hmm .. I have a plan of making a nice UP Franken - I wonder if this < $200 sub could work for that.

I know Josh has a 'light' version for around $200, but he told me that it wouldn't fit gen parts.

Curious to see if the one you got is any different.

The reason he said it won't work is that the "Lite" version uses a 21j that have different locations for the dial feet and Gen hands won't fit.

The PO above is a great start for a future Franken project.

seventhexile

I'm Pretty Popular
7/7/08
The reason he said it won't work is that the "Lite" version uses a 21j that have different locations for the dial feet and Gen hands won't fit.

The PO above is a great start for a future Franken project.

Hm.. Not 100% sure on that one..

I mentioned to him I was going to gut it as I had a nice Swiss eta + gen datewheel - all I wanted was the case, bracelet and bezel really.. The rest I was planning on removing.

Lay told me the parts might not fit as they would with the UPO (or at least the 'mod' wouldn't go as smoothly)

This lead me to believe the case dimensions themselves were slightly different on the lite version.

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
Really, with the right parts, correct tools, and a little bit of ingenuity anything can be done.

I used to be both a .mil and .com aircraft mechanic (before finally landing in semiconductors). There were times that a required part just wasn't available so we improvised.

I have very little doubt that a damn good looking franken could be done off of my inexpensive WBK PO. I would just not have the time to invest in it so I chose to buy a new UPO from Lay. (Note I said good looking, not truest to Gen).

I think this debate is going in circles.

My thread, so I am asking those concerned to agree to disagree and leave it at that. Not trying to be rude, just trying to calm the interweb waters....

:0)

From my DX using Tapatalk.

tolis

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
24/8/09
one thing guys!UPO we say the 45mm omega planet ocean!not the 42mm!thanks

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
Thanks for the clarification. And sorry for any issues created by my mis-statement/understanding.

Back to bed I go...

From my DX using Tapatalk.

seventhexile

I'm Pretty Popular
7/7/08
Sorry didn't mean to start trouble - just trying to figure everything out.

Your watch looks great - I only mentioned the Frankenstein bit since I would like to in the not so distant future do a Frankenstein build.

If I could use the version you got - it would definitely save some much needed money :p

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Did you buy this most awesome example of a 42mm PO yet? :)
It perfect.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Changed title of thread to reference the correct watch. UPO=45MM 3G,4G,5G... ect= 42MM

FYI, if you open a thread here on RWI, people will automatically agree to disagree and will freely discuss things in your thread. So expect it. ;) Welcome to "Al Gore's Internet." :lol:

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Okay, where were we? Oh, Don't buy 21j's for Franken Projects. Unless you like doing something that has not been done yet. :lol:

Too many unknowns. Crystal fitting, bezel insert will not interchange, crowntube sitting too low.........

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
That whole discussion sounds like a great start to a new thread....

Sorry if I sounded a little punchy, I am a bit medicated (to say the least), after having back surgery last week and this place is kind of my life line to prevent total boredom (that or read all 7 books of the "How to Train Your Dragon" series that I just bought my offspring).

I was only concerned because I have seen some really big ****storms on my other hobby boards that send threads totally out of control.

Many thanks to R2D4 for fixing the title, and everyone else for your understanding.

Now we return to our regularly scheduled RWI programming.....

:whistle:

Oh, and yes I did tell them to ship it. I am really looking forward to this. I think it will make an awesome addition to the rotation.