• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

MCD's Aquanaut Thoughts: ZF vs 3KF V3. (2023)

Reaps

There is no such thing as a 1:1 Replica!
25/9/22
Personally would be concerned about the plating fading
Quite frankly I find people make too big of an issue with plating durability. If you like it, buy it. If you're worried about it, plate it.

But out of my reps I plate for look not durability, but my GMF and ZF RG plating hasnt faded or tarnished. I wipe down my reps with warm soap water after 2-3 days of wear and leave it in bags with anti tarnish jewelery strips

Reactions: watchfi

mclarendude

Legendary Member
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
And at this rate, you can possibly ceramic coat them.

gelite

Getting To Know The Place
2/4/11
I'm currently in the middle of a 3KF modding project with @CTime

In the QC shot (long greenlit), you can clearly see that the midcase on the non-crown side has two edges, similar to the way the thin bit of the bezel edges too. This is incorrect per gen.

A few examples from past M2M sales where the 3KF cases were reshaped to remove such edges (and then rebrushed, of course):

The two lines do seem to be present on older versions of the 5167, in particular on versions of the watch without "Swiss Made" at the bottom. Take a look:
at 3:14.

Swiss_goupil

Respected Member
Patron
Certified
7/12/19
Last Kingdom
Tried to order the v3 in rose gold and apparently 3KF has no stock - eventho it is advertised everywhere

j2k

9/2/23
Canada
ugh, can't seem to pull the trigger on the current 3kf v3 5167a. I can live with green lume plots, but the downgrade from engraved to laser etched movement really bugs me! Plus the mismatching plate, am I better off waiting for a v4 at this point? I would take the v2 over v3 at this point

Reaps

There is no such thing as a 1:1 Replica!
25/9/22
ugh, can't seem to pull the trigger on the current 3kf v3 5167a. I can live with green lume plots, but the downgrade from engraved to laser etched movement really bugs me! Plus the mismatching plate, am I better off waiting for a v4 at this point? I would take the v2 over v3 at this point
Just buy it and if you hate it sell it off m2m and accept the $50 loss as a testing fee to try it out.

Reactions: evilgenius88

gelite

2/4/11
Tried to order the v3 in rose gold and apparently 3KF has no stock - eventho it is advertised everywhere
How does the rose gold of 3kf compare to ZF? Judging by pictures ZF seems to be more of a regular gold color and is further from gen, but I'm having trouble telling whether a lot of this is just lighting used in photos.

j2k

9/2/23
Canada
Recieved my qc pictures for 3kf 5167a. Very happy with it ^^ will post wrist pictures on this thread once i receive it. Like @watchfi stated, my TD only carries the v2 version, which I don't really mind, the older style clasp is way cooler anyway :cool:

Reactions: watchfi

necktune

Do not accept unsolicited offers
19/11/23
I’m leaning towards the 3kf partially due to this thread, but the overly sharp bezel edges (compared to the more rounded ZF) are giving me pause. How easy is it to perform the 324 clone movement swap into a ZF case, and is this “squareness” particularly noticeable side by side outside macro shots?

j2k

9/2/23
Canada
I’m leaning towards the 3kf partially due to this thread, but the overly sharp bezel edges (compared to the more rounded ZF) are giving me pause. How easy is it to perform the 324 clone movement swap into a ZF case, and is this “squareness” particularly noticeable side by side outside macro shots?
Read the original post by Mclarendude, the zf has issues with the caseback being too close

necktune

Do not accept unsolicited offers
19/11/23
Read the original post by Mclarendude, the zf has issues with the caseback being too close
Yeah I got that, let me clarify - would it be straightforward to use the ZF bezel with a 3kf caseback, or have the 3kf bezel’s outer edges reshaped to be rounder like ZF/Gen?

j2k

9/2/23
Canada
Yeah I got that, let me clarify - would it be straightforward to use the ZF bezel with a 3kf caseback, or have the 3kf bezel’s outer edges reshaped to be rounder like ZF/Gen?
ah sorry, that is a good question, and i would like to believe it does fit.

jimbo-o

28/5/23
Louisiana
How does the rose gold of 3kf compare to ZF? Judging by pictures ZF seems to be more of a regular gold color and is further from gen, but I'm having trouble telling whether a lot of this is just lighting used in photos.
Side by side with gen, the 3kf 5167r looks basically identical in terms of rg plating color. they hit the ball out of the park on it. Have had mine for 7 months now and no issues with plating starting to fade.

W8tchLover

12/12/23
I am looking to get a 5167 and a green 5168G. I'm going 3KF.

I want to mod the dial, date wheel and hands on 5168G. Advice please on who does the green dial best? JJ?

Thanks

christo14

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
19/2/16
I've had both the 3KF and Zf previously, probably V1's or V2's. Both were good but the green lume on the 3kf bugged me (it's really green). Does any modder here repaint the lume to be more white?

Also, the case shape on the Zf is slightly better, looks sleeker but I'd buy the 3KF again for the clasp and movement. I've handled a gen and unless side by side the case shape isn't a deal breaker for either. No one who's not either a gen 5167A owner or AD is going to pick up on it. Just the green is annoying (for me I don't speak for anyone else)

daytonadude

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
11/2/23
CONUS
I've had both the 3KF and Zf previously, probably V1's or V2's. Both were good but the green lume on the 3kf bugged me (it's really green). Does any modder here repaint the lume to be more white?

Also, the case shape on the Zf is slightly better, looks sleeker but I'd buy the 3KF again for the clasp and movement. I've handled a gen and unless side by side the case shape isn't a deal breaker for either. No one who's not either a gen 5167A owner or AD is going to pick up on it. Just the green is annoying (for me I don't speak for anyone else)
Check out the new RB dial and pair it with an SW datewheel and set of hands