• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

MCD's Aquanaut Thoughts: ZF vs 3KF V3. (2023)

evilgenius88

Plotting world domination
Supporter
Certified
11/4/07
Volcano Base
No, no any different from ctime tell me, only updates is just the buckles, and the v3 movement are worse then v2 the new batches has different plate color, one plate has PP seal is more yellowish then other plates, ctime were tell me all the batches has same issuem
Yup. Saw the images of the new plate and it's immediately, by far, the biggest tell - very obviously wrong, even if you're not familiar with a gen Aquanaut, you'd be questioning why this thing would be so different. Such a shame - and it must suck for the factory to produce a big batch that will be hard to sell to most people.

Falter

Gold Patron
Certified
8/8/20
Super informative post about the inner workings and insight on the ZF movement MCD.
I myself have also been doing a lot of research between the ZF and 3KF for my 5167 project that I just completed.

I ended up going with the ZF case for donor as I personally believe aesthetically, it is more accurate to the gen.
After owning both, the bezel for the 3kf just seemed too squarish in my opinion while the ZF captures the subtle roundness of the gen aquanaut.
Most unique part of my build I would say is that legend was able to swap the 324 cal movement from the 3KF over to the ZF case and was then able to slim the ZF case down to around 8.2mm.

Needless to say, I am super proud of this build. I truly believe one of the better combination achievable currently for a high end build is still a culmination of gen (Dial + hands), ZF (case), and 3KF (movement) parts.

Here is my build:
Gen dial (pre 2009 no swiss) + Buff hands(all 3) and datewheel in ZF case
324 cal movement swap + modded to fit into ZF case
ZF case thinning to 8.13mm
Rebrushing of ZF case and bezel to gen spec
Gen strap + gen clasp + Everest springbars
Complete movement overhaul

Falter

Gold Patron
Certified
8/8/20
Regarding what I stated in the last post about the 3KF bezel being too squarish, here's a quick comparison of my previous 5167 build which had the gen dial in a 3KF case.

Once I was aware of the bezel shape on the 3KF, I was unable to unsee it and ended up swapping the entire build into my current ZF build.

3KF build on top, gen in middle and current ZF build on bottom.

blunt_0000

Getting To Know The Place
Supporter
Certified
14/5/23
The Internet :)
Regarding what I stated in the last post about the 3KF bezel being too squarish, here's a quick comparison of my previous 5167 build which had the gen dial in a 3KF case.

Once I was aware of the bezel shape on the 3KF, I was unable to unsee it and ended up swapping the entire build into my current ZF build.

3KF build on top, gen in middle and current ZF build on bottom.

Wow…yep can not unsee it 🤯
Was the 3K clone movement plug and play installable inside the ZF case? Thanks for sharing 🙌

Stodss

Patron
Certified
20/3/23
Asia
Super informative post about the inner workings and insight on the ZF movement MCD.
I myself have also been doing a lot of research between the ZF and 3KF for my 5167 project that I just completed.

I ended up going with the ZF case for donor as I personally believe aesthetically, it is more accurate to the gen.
After owning both, the bezel for the 3kf just seemed too squarish in my opinion while the ZF captures the subtle roundness of the gen aquanaut.
Most unique part of my build I would say is that legend was able to swap the 324 cal movement from the 3KF over to the ZF case and was then able to slim the ZF case down to around 8.2mm.

Needless to say, I am super proud of this build. I truly believe one of the better combination achievable currently for a high end build is still a culmination of gen (Dial + hands), ZF (case), and 3KF (movement) parts.

Here is my build:
Gen dial (pre 2009 no swiss) + Buff hands(all 3) and datewheel in ZF case
324 cal movement swap + modded to fit into ZF case
ZF case thinning to 8.13mm
Rebrushing of ZF case and bezel to gen spec
Gen strap + gen clasp + Everest springbars
Complete movement overhaul

Hi bro how much did this cost you more or less? Awesome build!!

watchpit

🍌 go bananas 🍌
Certified
24/4/19
EU
Many thanks for the detailed insights and thoughts. I guess everyone who is interessted in an Aquanaut should gather information here. I just scrolled TD sites and search RWI in the meantime. Good to get this information.

Reaps

There is no such thing as a 1:1 Replica!
25/9/22
Great review that pushed me for a 3KF instead of ZF. No point in ZF if they're using a butchered Miyota that can't be replaced.

Reactions: mclarendude

Stodss

Patron
Certified
20/3/23
Asia
Guys curious questions, what is the biggest tells of the 3kf/zf aquanaut?

mclarendude

Legendary Member
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
Guys curious questions, what is the biggest tells of the 3kf/zf aquanaut?
I know you're new but this has been answered countless times on this Patek Phillipe subforum. We will not spoonfeed. Do research.

Stodss

Patron
Certified
20/3/23
Asia
I know you're new but this has been answered countless times on this Patek Phillipe subforum. We will not spoonfeed. Do research.
Hi sorry, but what I meant is. On this particular model. I’ve been reading the entire forum and have decided to Franken an aquanaut. Just curious on what guys who actually know watches would consider a tell.

evilgenius88

Plotting world domination
Supporter
Certified
11/4/07
Volcano Base
Hi sorry, but what I meant is. On this particular model. I’ve been reading the entire forum and have decided to Franken an aquanaut. Just curious on what guys who actually know watches would consider a tell.
Guys who know replica watches well? Or do you mean, you want to trick guys who know Patek watches well into believing you have the real deal?

Falter

Gold Patron
Certified
8/8/20
Guess you do gotta be specific in this hobby huh?

Stodss

Patron
Certified
20/3/23
Asia
Guys who know replica watches well? Or do you mean, you want to trick guys who know Patek watches well into believing you have the real deal?
Not really, it’s just my gauge on what I can do to make the watch a bit more perfect out of the box.
It be stupid to trick others, but finding and sourcing parts slowly making the perfect Franken has become a hobby now.