• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GMF released a GMT 3186 clone movement

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
One thing I will say about the gmt's in general and this sort of started with the vrf LN just because that arrived here like 5 days earlier.

Just some background, these (the vrf LN and the GMF BLNR) are my first GMT Masters. I never liked the reps and in authentic models, they weren't close enough to my favorites to consider as a real contender in any gen shopping.

Most of my friends and acquaintances are oblivious to watches. 1 or 2 know the extent of my interest in watches. 1 or 2 know my appreciation for reps. And I have one friend who doesn't know anything about watches other than Rolex is a good brand and he'll occasionally ask "what are you wearing?"

That being said, as I'm sure most of you know, most of the time people don't say or ask anything about your watch.

Since the GMTs. I've had about 8 different people ask "is that a new watch?" while wearing the gmt. (mostly the vrf - by chance as that's the one I just had on). I've had some comment on the way it sparkles, 1 said its "blingy". Which is a strange way to describe a black dial/black bezel SS watch. But the polished center links really reflect light and catch the eye. I keep catching them shimmer myself too.

But if you're not used to it it's maddening as normally I wear a watch all day and just look at it for the time or date. With this. I find myself trying to wipe down the PCLs constantly. But part of that might be because it's new too. We'll
Asee.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
But if you're not used to it it's maddening as normally I wear a watch all day and just look at it for the time or date. With this. I find myself trying to wipe down the PCLs constantly. But part of that might be because it's new too. We'll see.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You can always put a brushed bracelet on it. I don't prefer the PCLs having owned a gen 16710 for 30 years. Other members have done the same thing. You've probably seen the Pepsi pics from m5smg2

l8FuR.jpg

I've also done that on this rep. I am well accustomed to keeping a "bubble" around my watches as I have zero tolerance for scratches. My gen is immaculate and has never been polished. I don't let anything within about 5 inches of it except a shirt or coat sleeve. I mean NOTHING. It used to take a concerted effort but is now completely subconscious. This has carried over to my reps so keeping the PCLs pristine is not so difficult. Still, I prefer the brushed look on a tool watch.

15781031181036.jpg

Reactions: Jammydodger79

Amguy1

Known Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
25/9/18
You can always put a brushed bracelet on it. I don't prefer the PCLs having owned a gen 16710 for 30 years. Other members have done the same thing. You've probably seen the Pepsi pics from m5smg2

l8FuR.jpg

I've also done that on this rep. I am well accustomed to keeping a "bubble" around my watches as I have zero tolerance for scratches. My gen is immaculate and has never been polished. I don't let anything within about 5 inches of it except a shirt or coat sleeve. I mean NOTHING. It used to take a concerted effort but is now completely subconscious. This has carried over to my reps so keeping the PCLs pristine is not so difficult. Still, I prefer the brushed look on a tool watch.

15781031181036.jpg

If you want to sell the bracelet let me know mate,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hazing

9/5/19

l8FuR.jpg

15781031181036.jpg

it looks good but I’ll tell you what. I think it is just me getting used to it. Also, it’s new so I’m spending a lot of time looking at it, see a smidge and wipe it off. Additionally, things are ssssslllloooowwww here now so I’m just switching around watches. All these things have me looking at it a lot. Once I get busy enough where My mind is occupied, I think it will be fine.

I don’t mind having to brush/polish it occasionally if I have to or - more likely, doing nothing but wearing it. I always say scratches and the look of a worn watch just gives it character but maybe that’s what I just tell myself because I use my watches the same way I handle women in bed -rough as fvck with no regard for their feelings or physical condition.

i mentioned in another post (I think maybe the ARF thread) that it gets noticed a lot. And not so much that it’s a Rolex but - I wear a different watch every day and like 8 people asked me “ are you wearing a new watch?” which is surprising because it’s still just a SS black dial, black bezel watch like many others (as far as NWIS are concerned).

And one last thing... this morning I was running around While wearing this and realized this is the first time I wore it out. When I looked at it, the brushed portion of the case and the links mixed wi5h the color looked awesome. Also i kept looking at it and thinking the brushed finish looked titanium. Or like it had a titanium finish and it has me wondering if it’s Intentional.

it’s strange how in my house it just looks SS but out in the wild, it has a titanium glow to it. So, all this raving I’ve been doing about the brushing, maybe it is intentional to try to give it that titanium hue to it. Just a thought because that’s definitely how it looks.

Eta pics

And just to say, it looks so good in person/out. I'm amazed how different it looks from indoors.
4754c169b3768ac22281373d1adbd80a.jpg
5258673d07edca0ef2fa9517684c4918.jpg

f743cecaedd4645d6f0dae9a9ea0d641.jpg
c700a24e807c969e24c1bdbc87ac595a.jpg

Last edited:

Carbon Summit

Renowned Member
10/12/19
United States
OK... I'm caught up reading this to this point.

As a GMT novice who doesn't have the ability to fix and mod the movement. Is there a safe GMT movement I can buy and wear right out of the box without fear of setting the time/date often other than the 2836 ICHS?

Sounds like the GMF v3 is still too new for you guys to know?

Last edited:

sickopsycho

15/6/19
NC, USA
On the fence between this GMF Batman v3 and the latest ZZF no date sub. What would you guys pick?

I couldn't decide either so I got them both. =D Well, I got the VRF 116710 and the ZZF V2 116610 (date sub). Personally, I had to buy a sub because I didn't have one- but they are a little cliche. If someone is going to recognize a watch, this would be the one they'd notice. I can wear my yachtmaster all day and nobody realized its a Rolex. Same with my GMT, oddly, because it looks basically the same with an extra hand. Out of all my reps, I tend to like my yachtmaster the most- it's an ARF 116622 with the 2824. Very solid watch.

Reactions: KJ2020

Hazing

9/5/19
GMT has more function so I vote the Batman.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Yeah but it’s only good if you use the gmt function. Otherwise everyone I know who randomly has a gmt has no idea where to set the gmt hand and it seems to be a big deal.

that’s why I like Panerai GMTs . Because when you’re not using it, you can “park” the gmt hand so you don’t even know it’s there.

Reactions: Dissemination

Goon3r

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/4/20
UK
On the notion of movement and using it's functions is there a good setting guide for these movements 3185/3186 that covers all crown positions/functionality?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
On the notion of movement and using it's functions is there a good setting guide for these movements 3185/3186 that covers all crown positions/functionality?

https://www.rolex.com/media/user-guides.html

I know you have an ARF coming so it will be like the gen. The GMF has one deviation. Rolex user guide doesn't specify direction of crown movement vs direction of hands movement so the 126710 user guide is applicable to your 116710.

Gen model characteristics
116710 LN / BLNR ‐ 3186, single coronet dial, oyster bracelet, shorter hands, rotate crown clockwise to advance hands forward and hour jump forward.

126710 BLNR / BLRO - 3285, double coronet dial, jubilee bracelet, longer hands, rotate crown anti-clockwise to advance hands forward and hour jump forward.

Rep model characteristics
All kinds of combinations are offered regarding dials, bracelets, hands length, and crown operation. It's pretty rare that a stock rep model would have everything correct. The ARF 116710 LN has all of these characteristics right. VRF comes very close but the cases are all engraved 126710, and the two oyster models are 116710's. The new GMF 116710 hour jumps opposite to gen. All new rep 126710's using any one of the new VR/SH/SA 3185/6 true clone movements will set time opposite to gen.

Rep movement characteristics
DG2813, DG3804 ICHS and CHS, A2824 CHS, A2836 ICHS
Rotate crown anti-clockwise to advance hands forward and hour jump forward (DG3804 CHS and A2824 CHS only).

VR3185, SH3186
Rotate crown clockwise to advance hands forward and hour jump forward.

SA3186
Rotate crown clockwise to advance hands forward and anti-clockwise to hour jump forward.

So, the SA3186 movement is a bit of a unicorn and likely will not take a gen jump click.

tdx18

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
3/10/19
Forgive me asking for it might be trivial, but:

What does single and double coronet dial refer to?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Forgive me asking for it might be trivial, but:

What does single and double coronet dial refer to?

Compare 116710 and 126710 dials at 6 o'clock where Swiss Made is printed

tdx18

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
3/10/19
Ah, yes of course. That's quite apparent. I was focused on the 12 o'clock coronet. Thanks!

Goon3r

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/4/20
UK
KJ2020 thanks for all the detailed information on correct setting of these watches, bookmarked the user guide link and will give it a good read when my watch arrives. Half tempted to buy the box and papers from jtime

sickopsycho

15/6/19
NC, USA
Half tempted to buy the box and papers from jtime
I was, too, when I first got into reps. Then it occurred to me that the box and papers for all my Gen watches are sitting in the closet collecting dust. I can appreciate having these on the real deal to help with resale, but in my experience you are not likely to recoup any of the money you spent on the box if/when you sell the rep in the future. Most folks just don't care for them, or at least are not willing to pay extra for them. Of course, if it makes you happy, though... go for it. They look pretty legit.

Edit: instead of spending $100 on a fake Rolex box- why don;t you spend it on a decent box to hold your watches? Or a winder, even, can be had for a bit more. just a thought...

Last edited:

RiffRalf

Renowned Member
10/7/19
USA
KJ2020 thanks for all the detailed information on correct setting of these watches, bookmarked the user guide link and will give it a good read when my watch arrives. Half tempted to buy the box and papers from jtime
I felt the same way at one time but am glad I nver did it. Better spend the $ on another rep or on an upgrade item on your existing rep like a crystal, or even on a watch repair tool set and getting some new skills ....

Reactions: KJ2020

Hazing

9/5/19
I was, too, when I first got into reps. Then it occurred to me that the box and papers for all my Gen watches are sitting in the closet collecting dust. I can appreciate having these on the real deal to help with resale, but in my experience you are not likely to recoup any of the money you spent on the box if/when you sell the rep in the future. Most folks just don't care for them, or at least are not willing to pay extra for them. Of course, if it makes you happy, though... go for it. They look pretty legit.

Edit: instead of spending $100 on a fake Rolex box- why don;t you spend it on a decent box to hold your watches? Or a winder, even, can be had for a bit more. just a thought...

I say this all the time. My friends come up to me and ask advice and ask if I can help them pick one out. And when it’s their first one, of course they all want the box. I’m amazed how many people say “okay, well I need $100 more for the box and papers so on payday I’ll order it all”. I always tell them....
1. if you have to wait for payday you shouldn’t be spending money on watches. Lol.
2. don’t buy the box. It will sit in the back of your closet and after day 1 you’ll never see it again. It has no use.

or 3... if you really just want a box maybe for your shelf or something (because I have a few different gen boxes like an old Daytona, an old president, the new full size medium box that I use as bookends or just as a decoration), buy one on dh gate for $25 to 30. Iit’s the same box. The only thing is you just get the generic warranty card.

Reactions: RiffRalf