• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GMF Day-Date 40mm Tungsten Heavy Version

Recklays

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
1/8/16
Hi everyone,
Joining this discussion with my own experience.
Recently received a GMF Eisenkiesel Factory, Rose gold plated (used to have it done on all my watches but first time on a Tungsten one)
Surprisely, I am very unhappy with the work done by my modder (no drama, things happen, he never let me down and already offered me a discount equal to the plating cost for my next purchase). As you can see, there is a color difference near the clasp and some dark marks

I would like to make it replated by Nikz in Europe because his work on my watch is INSANE.

Would you guys say it is a good idea or should I just leave it how it is ?
Thanks

Guiltycat

Renowned Member
Supporter
Patron
Certified
31/8/22
just received my RG wrapped THB DD.

After handling it for a couple hours, I feel like THB use the same case/bracelet supplier as ARF. The removeable links are the same.
The bezel reflects light a lot better than my QF and GMF. Can’t compare it with the ARF since I only had that for 1 day

Jcap66

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
3/3/24
Hi everyone,
Joining this discussion with my own experience.
Recently received a GMF Eisenkiesel Factory, Rose gold plated (used to have it done on all my watches but first time on a Tungsten one)
Surprisely, I am very unhappy with the work done by my modder (no drama, things happen, he never let me down and already offered me a discount equal to the plating cost for my next purchase). As you can see, there is a color difference near the clasp and some dark marks

I would like to make it replated by Nikz in Europe because his work on my watch is INSANE.

Would you guys say it is a good idea or should I just leave it how it is ?
Thanks
Depends on what you want. If you want to pull it of as gen I would worry about bezel and crystal before fixing the plating. If you only want it to look pristine I would re-plate it.

Reactions: Recklays

Paul Newman

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
31/3/15
just received my RG wrapped THB DD.

After handling it for a couple hours, I feel like THB use the same case/bracelet supplier as ARF. The removeable links are the same.
The bezel reflects light a lot better than my QF and GMF. Can’t compare it with the ARF since I only had that for 1 day

Looks good! Mine in QC weights 195g, What about this one?

Thanks!

Guiltycat

Renowned Member
Supporter
Patron
Certified
31/8/22
M

Look

Looks good! Mine in QC weights 195g, What about this one?

Thanks!
Also 195g, but it comes with more 3 more links than GMF and QF. If you put the same amount of links on both THB and QF then the weight difference is 5g in favour of THB.

The 195g is a gimmick made by putting more links in

Reactions: Paul Newman

Guiltycat

Renowned Member
Supporter
Patron
Certified
31/8/22
@Paul Newman you’ll have to becareful with your THB. If it really is the same case as ARF( which I think it is) then it’s actually pretty fragile. The steel wrapped tungsten case will flake/crack with impact

Reactions: Paul Newman

Paul Newman

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
31/3/15
@Paul Newman you’ll have to becareful with your THB. If it really is the same case as ARF( which I think it is) then it’s actually pretty fragile. The steel wrapped tungsten case will flake/crack with impact
I've got the white gold version and is currently with a modder to see if it can be plated, so lets see, thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: Guiltycat

Guiltycat

Renowned Member
Supporter
Patron
Certified
31/8/22
I've got the white gold version and is currently with a modder to see if it can be plated, so lets see, thanks for the heads up.
I got mine wrapped which is essentially the same as plating, so it should be fine. You get the olive dial?

Jcap66

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
3/3/24
Post it when you get it :)
I built a YG daydate with a meteorite dial and deep crystal a couple months ago
Can you share a picture? I don’t think I’ve seen that combo before 😊

Guiltycat

Renowned Member
Supporter
Patron
Certified
31/8/22
Gorgeous watch, do you recommend the THB or the GMF ?
GMF/QF if you want the 2836 and don’t want to gold plate it. Color is pretty much on point and it will be a lot cheaper than thb+plating.

Can you share a picture? I don’t think I’ve seen that combo before 😊

I’ve lent it out to a family member so I only have the one photo at the moment

WatchNoobie

Getting To Know The Place
7/8/24
GMF/QF if you want the 2836 and don’t want to gold plate it. Color is pretty much on point and it will be a lot cheaper than thb+plating
GMF/QF if you want the 2836 and don’t want to gold plate it. Color is pretty much on point and it will be a lot cheaper than thb+plating.

Supposedly you can’t plate the THB, don’t know if there’s a newer version but they said it’s already plated RG.. asked two different TD on here.. have a look any advice is much appreciated.

kash190

Do not accept unsolicited offers
26/5/24
I've just ordered one from Jtime but a friend tells me RG GMF plating leaves little to be desired. I have a gen two tone RG ym so will compare.

derjenigewelcher

Watch enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
I don’t see any reason why it can’t be plated, it’s not pure tungsten

No idea one of them said very easy to crack/fade with the THB plated or wrapped 🤷🏻‍♂️
Its about base layers. For example, GMF plates with real gold IMO. Thats why you can easy plate over it, since gold keeps more gold.
A PVD - gold like VSF should not be to easy afaik, cause you have to rip off the pvd first.
There are base layers that take gold much better than those tungsten alloys, why you should overplate with that. i am no professional, and guys that have the skills often keep their secrets, but its not that easy on every watch to plate.