• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

DJ 41 - VS F or Clean F?

JLK33

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/2/23
NYC

Clean is the best visually. Here’s mine with a gen dial and crystal. Waiting on gen hands but the vsf case isn’t this good.
I agree with Clean having the best case shape & rehaut engraving. VSF definitely has the better movement, Crystal, fluted bezel, date disc and crown. Out of the box I lean VSF for the movement.

Plating the bezel is a must for either if you opt for a fluted bezel. A genuine bezel is a very pricy upgrade and the plating looks wise gets it very close (FlanDad is who I use for bezel plating). The weight won’t match unless you opt for a genuine 18k white gold Rolex bezel.

Personally, I think both DateJust 41 models benefit greatly from mods.

My build is a pretty extensive super franken:
-Clean case
-VSF movement + gen new style rotor (eliminates rotor noise after service)
-Genuine crystal
-Genuine dial
-Genuine white gold hands
-Genuine WG bezel (replaced prior plated bezel)
-Genuine date disc
-Genuine crown
-Polished rehaut
-Case and bracelet refinished (re-brushed, re-polished to gen spec).
-Movement serviced & regulated
-Waterproofed

Deeptrencher

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
24/7/23
United Kingdom
I agree with Clean having the best case shape & rehaut engraving. VSF definitely has the better movement, Crystal, fluted bezel, date disc and crown. Out of the box I lean VSF for the movement.

Plating the bezel is a must for either if you opt for a fluted bezel. A genuine bezel is a very pricy upgrade and the plating looks wise gets it very close (FlanDad is who I use for bezel plating). The weight won’t match unless you opt for a genuine 18k white gold Rolex bezel.

Personally, I think both DateJust 41 models benefit greatly from mods.

My build is a pretty extensive super franken:
-Clean case
-VSF movement + gen new style rotor (eliminates rotor noise after service)
-Genuine crystal
-Genuine dial
-Genuine white gold hands
-Genuine WG bezel (replaced prior plated bezel)
-Genuine date disc
-Genuine crown
-Polished rehaut
-Case and bracelet refinished (re-brushed, re-polished to gen spec).
-Movement serviced & regulated
-Waterproofed
Beautiful mate that’s stunning

Reactions: JLK33

JLK33

8/2/23
NYC
Beautiful mate that’s stunning
Thank you so much! Has been an enjoyable and educational process to have built. Visually I think I’m done unless I go for Gen Jubilee bracelet. Next upgrade will be the balance wheel/ bridge. Yours is a stunner as well! That white Roman dial is gorgeous and was also at the top of my list for a build.

When I moved the Blue Roman to clean, I backfilled the VSF with a white stick franken.

Last edited:

Deeptrencher

INMATE
24/7/23
United Kingdom
Thank you so much! Has been an enjoyable and educational process to have built. Visually I think I’m done unless I go for Gen Jubilee bracelet. Next upgrade will be the balance wheel/ bridge. Yours is a stunner as well! That white Roman dial is gorgeous and was also at the top of my list for a build.

When I moved the Blue Roman to clean, I backfilled the VSF with a white stick franken.

Once I’ve got the hands and gen Datewheel I’ll be going for the gen bezel which I’ve found for £1600 but I think it’s worth it as I plan on having it for life! Good to meet you as well mate!

JLK33

8/2/23
NYC
Once I’ve got the hands and gen Datewheel I’ll be going for the gen bezel which I’ve found for £1600 but I think it’s worth it as I plan on having it for life! Good to meet you as well mate!
That sounds about right price wise. It’s costly, but Gen is Gen for a reason. The genuine bezel really does add something to make the watch extra special. Great to connect as well, and keep us posted on your progress! Totally worth it in my view.

Reactions: Deeptrencher

Deeptrencher

INMATE
24/7/23
United Kingdom
That sounds about right price wise. It’s costly, but Gen is Gen for a reason. The genuine bezel really does add something to make the watch extra special. Great to connect as well, and keep us posted on your progress! Totally worth it in my view.
Will do!

Sig9

Certified
2/1/23
Germany
Everyone ordererd recently a clean datejust? Puretime said they are hard to source at the moment.. waiting now 4 weeks for mine

Karbon74

Unrivalled Super Hottie
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kanto Region
I would say Clean if you are willing to change the crystal. OOTB I would say VSF
VSF also has the better movement

But I also would not go for the fluted bezel since its an instant tell imho. On gen you have two different metals which you can instantly see. On the rep the fluted bezel is also steel. But I think that is not a popular opinion here. I would go for smooth bezel because of this though
i did not know that.
what's the bezel metal?

Ah0rsey

18 hands high, bushy mane.
Patron
Certified
9/8/22
uk
I’ve had plenty of both VSF and CF DJs… both smooth and fluted bezels and added gen bezels too.

Buy a CF case with a VSF smooth bezel and add a prof crystal 😀😀.

Reactions: Deebo

TheBigJS

Play nicely
Supporter
Certified
7/12/22
UK
I would say Clean if you are willing to change the crystal. OOTB I would say VSF
VSF also has the better movement
Every VSF Vs Clean DJ (or steel Sub) thread answered in 23 (maybe, I've had a drink!) words.

Both are amazing, no one is calling either out on your wrist, if you can play the role of a Rolex wearer, they can play the role of a Rolex.

Reactions: hirtegirte