• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Comprehensive Guide to Clone Movements Found in Rolex Reps

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Section Moderator
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Is there any difference in quality between the VS3135 AND VS3235 movement?
thanks
Both are excellent movements. But they aren’t really comparable since they go in different watches. The vs3135 goes in the 40mm submariner. And the vs3235 goes in the 41mm submariner and the 36 and 41mm datejust.

That said, I happen to think the vs3235 is one of the best clone movements I’ve ever worked on. It’s a joy to service.

Reactions: beneton

DVILL

Do not accept unsolicited offers
7/7/23
melbourne
Both are excellent movements. But they aren’t really comparable since they go in different watches. The vs3135 goes in the 40mm submariner. And the vs3235 goes in the 41mm submariner and the 36 and 41mm datejust.

That said, I happen to think the vs3235 is one of the best clone movements I’ve ever worked on. It’s a joy to service.
thank you dogwood - appreciate the response.

Bolduc Zogmar

Getting To Know The Place
13/8/12
Very impressing work, thank you so much dogwood !

I just got a VSF114060 (M2M), with a VS3130, which is running real fast, like at least 30s+ a day. How can I regulate it ? I'm a complete noob with this kind of stuff. Should I push (vey lightly) the green arrow arm (regulator) towards the red arrow arm (beat adjustor) to lose time, or the contrary ?

Thank you for your help.

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Section Moderator
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Very impressing work, thank you so much dogwood !

I just got a VSF114060 (M2M), with a VS3130, which is running real fast, like at least 30s+ a day. How can I regulate it ? I'm a complete noob with this kind of stuff. Should I push (vey lightly) the green arrow arm (regulator) towards the red arrow arm (beat adjustor) to lose time, or the contrary ?

Thank you for your help.
It’s very hard to regulate a watch without a timegrapher to show you the real time results from the changes you make to the regulator arm (green arrow). A cheap time grapher isn’t very expensive, and there are time grapher USB microphones you can get for your computer (~$40 on AliExpress). I’ve found that smartphone timegrapher apps aren’t very good.

But yes… if you have steady hands and a time grapher, then you should be able to regulate the watch.

Bolduc Zogmar

13/8/12
Thank you for your answer. I'll see what I can do with a microphone and an app (if I can find one for Mac).
Just to be sure : to slow down the watch I must push the regulator towards the beat regulator, right ?

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Section Moderator
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Thank you for your answer. I'll see what I can do with a microphone and an app (if I can find one for Mac).
Just to be sure : to slow down the watch I must push the regulator towards the beat regulator, right ?
Yes, regulator towards beat adjustor will slow the rate. But it’s extremely sensitive.

Bolduc Zogmar

13/8/12
Thank you. I will proceed very lightly, but it's gaining at least 30" a day, maybe close to 1mn. I'll wear it for a while, then do precise measuring. We'll see.

NdBnkr

11/7/23
The Milky Way
I agree with everyone here, what a wonderful guide.

I would like just a little clarification on VS3235 vs VR3235 and VR3230

If I just wanted rock solid reliability and durability and didn’t care if it was more “Gen like” would the VR3235 or VR3230 be the better choice for a 12 series Sub?

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Section Moderator
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
I agree with everyone here, what a wonderful guide.

I would like just a little clarification on VS3235 vs VR3235 and VR3230

If I just wanted rock solid reliability and durability and didn’t care if it was more “Gen like” would the VR3235 or VR3230 be the better choice for a 12 series Sub?
I’d suggest the vs3235 since it has a shock setting for the escape wheel whereas the vr3235 and vr3230 don’t have a shock setting for the escape wheel. The shock jewel setting will make the movement slightly more immune to damage from knocks.

Reactions: DVILL

aHero

Watch Bro
Supporter
Certified
27/5/22
I’ve been staring at this but just don’t have the trained eyes. Is this SH or VR? I think it’s VR?

Last edited:

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Section Moderator
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
I’ve been staring at this but just don’t have the trained eyes. Is this SH or VR? I think it’s VR?

Yup it’s a VR v1… easy way to tell: Black dot on the beat adjustor, screw on the end of the beat adjustor (not the side). That’s a nice movement.

Reactions: aHero

aHero

Watch Bro
Supporter
Certified
27/5/22
Yup it’s a VR v1… easy way to tell: Black dot on the beat adjustor, screw on the end of the beat adjustor (not the side). That’s a nice movement.
Slowly learning. Thanks for the confirmation!!

Buythedip

Certified
1/2/21
Here and there, but more there
Legendary post!
It’s interesting to see that some newer releases are more expensive but with worse movements on some TD websites.

I am sure there are adjustments to other areas of these new releases, but in many cases I suspect you are paying a premium for a new release, when in reality you are not necessarily getting a better, more reliable watch.

Reactions: dogwood

raytron

Known Member
28/6/19
This post is amazing and super interesting to read. Thanks for the effort in summarizing all that.

Reactions: dogwood

daytonadude

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
11/2/23
CONUS
I’ve been seeing some confusion around VR vs SH, as if these factories are actually one and the same? This is recently relevant to the new series of VR3131 listed as the movement on GMF v2 Milgauss watches or the new VR3255 for DayDates. Before, at least for a Milgauss with a clone movement, it was listed as an A3131, further adding to the confusion.

Ideally I would buy a VS3135, remove the date position, and swap it for one of these clones, but I’m not sure if the anti-magnetic second caseback might complicate that.