• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Comparison between the gen 4130 movement and the clean 4130 movement

rhern213

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Certified
13/2/14
Fantastic photo comparison, awesome to see how detailed it gets, appreciate the work!

Reactions: CTime

Nono92

I'm Pretty Popular
24/11/21
Do you think the 4130 used in DiW Noob available today is as reliable as this one ?

willthewristmaster99

1-800-WatchAddict
Supporter
Certified
15/5/23
Michigan USA
You know nothing about this movement right?

How to operate the 4130 chronograph without the column wheel? One of the famous thing about 4130 is its vertical clutch……
Nah I didn't at the time of this post, I was mostly curious if the column wheel was supplement with a cam and pin system to be cheaper. Ofc I watched a full tear down by a watch maker who showed the column wheel.

The vertical clutch I will admit I don't know shit about, but Tim Mosso on WatchBox Reviews hypes it up to be this big feature that basically means you can leave the chronograph running 24/7 without adding extra wear and tear to the movement. I honestly think that claim is BS but I was curious if the clone had this feature. Sorry if my questions sounds really noobish, I'm just an interested collector and would love to get into working on them one day!

Pictured: BTF 116505 black 🖤 dial , 4130 (I believe SH4130) so I at least own a clone Daytona and genuinely wanna learn more. I've only been here since April (in the hobby).

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Nah I didn't at the time of this post, I was mostly curious if the column wheel was supplement with a cam and pin system to be cheaper. Ofc I watched a full tear down by a watch maker who showed the column wheel.

The vertical clutch I will admit I don't know shit about, but Tim Mosso on WatchBox Reviews hypes it up to be this big feature that basically means you can leave the chronograph running 24/7 without adding extra wear and tear to the movement. I honestly think that claim is BS but I was curious if the clone had this feature. Sorry if my questions sounds really noobish, I'm just an interested collector and would love to get into working on them one day!

Pictured: BTF 116505 black 🖤 dial , 4130 (I believe SH4130) so I at least own a clone Daytona and genuinely wanna learn more. I've only been here since April (in the hobby).
Yes, both the DD4130 and SH4130 have a vertical clutch and column wheel. They are both nearly identical to the gen 4130. The movement in your BTF is a DD4130.

MaximillianGT

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
5/6/23
DE

Apart from the engraving on the bridges, the only thing that can visually identify the DD4130 is the balance bridge and the wheel, it's completely different, another one is the 820, the brass wheel and LIGA wheel are completely different too but not as "visual" as the balance. Other than these, there are nothing different.

willthewristmaster99

1-800-WatchAddict
Supporter
Certified
15/5/23
Michigan USA
Apart from the engraving on the bridges, the only thing that can visually identify the DD4130 is the balance bridge and the wheel, it's completely different, another one is the 820, the brass wheel and LIGA wheel are completely different too but not as "visual" as the balance. Other than these, there are nothing different.
Thank you for the helpful feedback and information:) I honestly believed there had to be some sort of cost cutting measurement (with the movement) other than finishing ofc, more substituting a high end piece of function like the column wheel.

MaximillianGT

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
5/6/23
DE
Thank you for the helpful feedback and information:) I honestly believed there had to be some sort of cost cutting measurement (with the movement) other than finishing ofc, more substituting a high end piece of function like the column wheel.
To your surprise, the column wheel doesn't cost that much, a gen 855 costs about $140. It's the weird shape that creates some production difficulties. On another hand, the vertical clutch might be more difficult to produce, given it's a fairly complicated structure and comparatively small.

willthewristmaster99

1-800-WatchAddict
Supporter
Certified
15/5/23
Michigan USA
Yes, both the DD4130 and SH4130 have a vertical clutch and column wheel. They are both nearly identical to the gen 4130. The movement in your BTF is a DD4130.
Wow that's great news! I believe the DD is the best one out on the market currently. I am glad to know that, it runs wicked good +2s/d and I've had it for months. DanDong makes fantastic movement for the money I don't know how they do it.

willthewristmaster99

1-800-WatchAddict
Supporter
Certified
15/5/23
Michigan USA
To your surprise, the column wheel doesn't cost that much, a gen 855 costs about $140. It's the weird shape that creates some production difficulties. On another hand, the vertical clutch might be more difficult to produce, given it's a fairly complicated structure and comparatively small.
I honestly am not surprised, I do respect the crisp click press heavily but I don't know why they hype it up to be this ultra luxury delivery system to active the chronograph. So I know the vertical clutch does not suffer from seconds hand stutter during engagement, but is the thing that T Mosso says true? That because of the vertical clutch you can "leave the chronograph running without the fear of adding extra wear and tear to the movement"? That seems like salesmen bull to me, as well Kenny on discord said it was not true but I'm curious as to what you say. Thank you for all the info you've given me so far as well.

MaximillianGT

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
5/6/23
DE
I honestly am not surprised, I do respect the crisp click press heavily but I don't know why they hype it up to be this ultra luxury delivery system to active the chronograph. So I know the vertical clutch does not suffer from seconds hand stutter during engagement, but is the thing that T Mosso says true? That because of the vertical clutch you can "leave the chronograph running without the fear of adding extra wear and tear to the movement"? That seems like salesmen bull to me, as well Kenny on discord said it was not true but I'm curious as to what you say. Thank you for all the info you've given me so far as well.
Take it with a grain of salt. It doesn't impose serious wear and tear like a horizontal clutch, but still, it's a mechanical movement, any extra wheels moving means extra wear and tear, can't beat physics.

willthewristmaster99

1-800-WatchAddict
Supporter
Certified
15/5/23
Michigan USA
Take it with a grain of salt. It doesn't impose serious wear and tear like a horizontal clutch, but still, it's a mechanical movement, any extra wheels moving means extra wear and tear, can't beat physics.
Fair enough, I definitely didn't expect no friction. This was exactly the answer I was looking for, so it basically has LESS wear when running vs a horizontal. Thank you so much for your help and info. I only run my chrono once in a blue moon just to show my friends how far the reps have come.

Reactions: MaximillianGT

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Fair enough, I definitely didn't expect no friction. This was exactly the answer I was looking for, so it basically has LESS wear when running vs a horizontal. Thank you so much for your help and info. I only run my chrono once in a blue moon just to show my friends how far the reps have come.
The Rolex service manual for the 4130 calls for the pivots of the chronograph bridge to NOT be lubricated. This is why I’d suggest not running the chronograph continuously. I suspect that these pivots aren’t lubricated for a good engineering / design reason (that’s above my pay grade). But I know that running a pivot in a dry jewel over the long term is a bad idea.

H8Bl0j.png

willthewristmaster99

1-800-WatchAddict
Supporter
Certified
15/5/23
Michigan USA
The Rolex service manual for the 4130 calls for the pivots of the chronograph bridge to NOT be lubricated. This is why I’d suggest not running the chronograph continuously. I suspect that these pivots aren’t lubricated for a good engineering / design reason (that’s above my pay grade). But I know that running a pivot in a dry jewel over the long term is a bad idea.

H8Bl0j.png
Wow, just an above and beyond measure on your part to teach a member something new. I thank you heavily for this. Perhaps Mr. Mosso is misinformed, or just trying to hype up the watches a little bit for his videos. Either way, I'm glad people you guys are here to give the facts. I have faith that the 4130 clone chrono while not having the reliability of gen, is itself a very fine movement which is highly technical and reliable. I have found a whole new love for my watch that I didn't have before now that I know more about what's really going on inside and how it really compares to gen. Long story short, I don't need to worry about breaking the chronograph so long as I maintain the movement and don't run it all the friggin time!