• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Compare ARF 116710LN with the VRF 116710LN

Usernametaken

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
31/5/18
Great first post, so kind of you mate. How many reps shall we send you? Do you want one from each rep factory to compare for accuracy? Thanks again for taking the time to do this, i know you didn't want to waste time reading the thread.

Perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mousemanjerry

Horology Curious
19/3/20
Have any of you tried a sub braclet on the VRF GMT yet?
I've got a VRF GMT on order from JTime awaiting QC pics. I'm not really a fan of the PCL and much prefer the brushed sub bracelet with the glidelock clasp.

If so, which factory and what reference was the bracelet so I can get Li to source one for me.
Bracelets are quite pricey at $148 so I want to make sure I get it right! Thanks!

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
After going through 34 pages, it is pretty cleared about the potential issues of both movements.
However, I have one question in mind which doesn't seem to have a clear answer:
By installing a gen. crystal onto the ARF, is it a must to use the factory crystal gasket in order to get the retention ring fit back on to the case? The gen. crystal gasket won't work for the ARF retention ring? I am using the original ARF bezel assembly.
Anyone got any idea?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
After going through 34 pages, it is pretty cleared about the potential issues of both movements.
However, I have one question in mind which doesn't seem to have a clear answer:
By installing a gen. crystal onto the ARF, is it a must to use the factory crystal gasket in order to get the retention ring fit back on to the case? The gen. crystal gasket won't work for the ARF retention ring? I am using the original ARF bezel assembly.
Anyone got any idea?

That is how I understand it bro. It isn't just on this model either. ARF crystal gaskets are slightly thicker than gen so you must re-use the ARF gasket with a gen crystal. I have read of glue being used with the gen gasket when the ARF gasket was too damaged to be used.

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
KJ2020
Thanks for your info. So in this sense the ARF is not 100% gen. spec. It means if I opt for the gen. crystal I must use the gen. bezel assembly as well.
Reusing the gasket may pose the problem of ruining the water proofing of the watch.
BTW, is the crystal gasket directional? ie. there is distinction between top and bottom?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
KJ2020
Thanks for your info. So in this sense the ARF is not 100% gen. spec. It means if I opt for the gen. crystal I must use the gen. bezel assembly as well.
Reusing the gasket may pose the problem of ruining the water proofing of the watch.
BTW, is the crystal gasket directional? ie. there is distinction between top and bottom?

You wouldn't need the gen bezel assembly but rather the gen crystal retaining ring if you wanted to use the gen crystal gasket. Gen-spec crystal gaskets (ones for crystals that have the stairstep edge profile) are directional. They have a narrow inward lip protrusion on the bottom that goes underneath the crystal.

15677881905480.jpg

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
KJ2020
How about the rep gasket? Is it directional too?
Rarely seen people are selling the retention ring alone rather than selling the whole assembly.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
How about the rep gasket? Is it directional too?
Rarely seen people are selling the retention ring alone rather than selling the whole assembly.

Yes all gen spec crystal gaskets designed to fit stairstep crystals should have a slightly different top and bottom edge.

There was a gen crystal retaining ring on M2M not long ago - might still be there.

Try searching member jcher IIRC

Last edited:

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
KJ2020 Thanks for the link.
Understand the gen. gasket is directional. How about the rep. gasket? Cheers

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
KJ2020
Sorry I misunderstood your meaning since the rep gasket is thicker than the gen. one, so I see it as not really gen. spec.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
KJ2020
Sorry I misunderstood your meaning since the rep gasket is thicker than the gen. one, so I see it as not really gen. spec.

True bro, as a rule though rep gaskets made to fit stairstep profile crystals will be directional. The fit is tighter toward the top. You can feel the difference, it's harder to snap the gasket onto the crystal when it's in the correct orientation.

Omega703

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/2/19
I’ve had my vrf for about two weeks now and just got around to pressure testing it. After I greased both the the gasket under the crown and the main gasket, it Leaked like a sieve from the crown. Pressure only at 2 atm.

it keeps great time but the beat error is 7 (!) MS. Taking it to my watch smith to address both issues.

Wolex

7/2/20
Great and fantastic effort for the review between ARF and VRF. Thank you for your effort and time. Learnt a lot about the rep models and movements! :)

andy_fin

Renowned Member
Certified
4/3/21
Europa
Funny thing. The VRF put the model number 126710. So would be great for a batman or new Pepsi. So you know what they are thinking. The ARF is the proper case number of 116710.

I am sorry for resurrecting an old topic, but search didn't give me anything to go on. It looks like there is a VRF V2, at least for 116710. Does anyone know if they fixed the engraving? What else has changed with V2?

ginopino

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/16
Guys, I need an info that I didn't find in the thread: will a ARF bezel with insert mount on the VR crystal retaining ring?
I mean, if you have both watches is possible to swap only the bezel?

Last edited:

breitling87

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/9/13
Just got one of these and went through this whole thread! If I change the movement to a vr3185 will the standard date wheel be good enough with the standard arf crystal. Would an upgrade to a vsf crystal be better than the arf crystal? Don’t want to spend the money on a gem crystal and the vr datewheel looks good enough from what I’ve seen on here. My stock ar crystal looks like it has the black hole effect but not sure on magnification as the stock ar dw is a bit thick

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
Just got one of these and went through this whole thread! If I change the movement to a vr3185 will the standard date wheel be good enough with the standard arf crystal. Would an upgrade to a vsf crystal be better than the arf crystal? Don’t want to spend the money on a gem crystal and the vr datewheel looks good enough from what I’ve seen on here. My stock ar crystal looks like it has the black hole effect but not sure on magnification as the stock ar dw is a bit thick

Sorry, your info is confusing. Which watch did you actually get? VRF or ARF? And how are you going to get a VSF crystal for either? VSF doesn't make any GMT-2.