• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Clean GMT-II Pepsi updated bezel insert V2/V2s review and comparison

daytonadude

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
11/2/23
CONUS
I think what is evident in the back and forth is that V2 and V3 has adressed the bezel and has made the MK1 and MK3 camps happy. I think the major remaining issue to fix is this sloppy bezel action. Once that is fixed, it is as good as it can get other than the crystal.
Or…. Buy a GSC / “Not VSF” gmt with VR3186, which has excellent bezel action and a movement that is easy swappable if anything happens, and pop in your preferred bezel. It has an excellent crystal and correct datewheel mag. only last thing to change is the dial because the printing is a bit grey

Reactions: derjenigewelcher

SlanderingParrot

Horology Curious
21/1/24
At long last I received mine, after being tossed around in shipping for 36 days. Looks great but, it doesn’t manually wind. Resistance winding feels normal, works to swirl it counter-clockwise. Bought from Ctime, any ideas?

Mkempes

Patience you must have my young Padawan
Supporter
Patron
Certified
13/12/23
EU
At long last I received mine, after being tossed around in shipping for 36 days. Looks great but, it doesn’t manually wind. Resistance winding feels normal, works to swirl it counter-clockwise. Bought from Ctime, any ideas?
Ask a watchsmith to revise. Take a look at the service section for one in your region if you can't find one locally.

However be prepared to wait.

daytonadude

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
11/2/23
CONUS
Are you saying the gears aren’t engaging together and it’s like an empty wind?

SlanderingParrot

Horology Curious
21/1/24
Are you saying the gears aren’t engaging together and it’s like an empty wind?
I think it feels normal to wind it, it definitely has a bit more resistance than my DJ but it’s linear. However, it never finishes to wind, there is no over tension bump, and it doesn’t feel more heavy to wind the longer I go either. Therefore I have a theory it might spin the rotor. Don’t know how else I could wind it without being over tensioned.
I’m sure there are protections for this in the watch, but don’t know how it works.

MrButterfield

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
Certified
8/12/14
I think it feels normal to wind it, it definitely has a bit more resistance than my DJ but it’s linear. However, it never finishes to wind, there is no over tension bump, and it doesn’t feel more heavy to wind the longer I go either. Therefore I have a theory it might spin the rotor. Don’t know how else I could wind it without being over tensioned.
I’m sure there are protections for this in the watch, but don’t know how it works.
This sounds normal to me. Or, at least that’s the way I’m understanding it without any coffee in my system yet. If you continue to wind, the mainspring barrel should slip to prevent overwinding. And, I cant feel tension building on the winding stem on any of my automatic watches as I wind them.

If you think the rotor is spinning when you wind, hold the watch vertically, so that the rotor hangs down, and see if that feels any different. I have one watch that I need to do this with (Sinn 356, an otherwise perfect watch IMO).

CCL088

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/5/21
If the watch is not running then you wind it manually and the watch starts running, all is good. My wife's DD movement feels the way you describe but it is working right and is just very smooth...

leo6929

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/5/16
Damn, that last set of pics of the V3... this is just getting more awesome by the week, lol... best time to be a rep aficionado :)

mini88

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
8/8/22
V2

side note: the triangle on the bezel insert seems to have turned darker than the numbers. any solution to this?

Reactions: leo6929

mini88

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
8/8/22
V3S

for those who find the V2 colors too faded, and V3 too dark, the V3S is a good alternative. it can appear garish at times, but that’s also it’s appeal. i have all three and i’m having a hard time deciding which to sell. might end up keeping all three 😅. they really are fantastic reps.

daytonadude

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
11/2/23
CONUS
V3S

for those who find the V2 colors too faded, and V3 too dark, the V3S is a good alternative. it can appear garish at times, but that’s also it’s appeal. i have all three and i’m having a hard time deciding which to sell. might end up keeping all three 😅. they really are fantastic reps.

Super helpful man thank you!

Could you share a few pics of your v3 and v3s? Very helpful to see a comparison that isn’t taken by a TD in studio lighting

mini88

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
8/8/22
Super helpful man thank you!

Could you share a few pics of your v3 and v3s? Very helpful to see a comparison that isn’t taken by a TD in studio lighting

sure.

V3 on jubilee, V3S on oyster.

sidenote: the date magnification (or date wheel font thickness?) appears to be better on my V3S, which i ordered a few weeks after the V3. it’s noticeably thicker on the V3 than the V3S, more obvious in person than pics. the V2 (not pictured here) is actually in between in thickness lol. not sure if this is all just clean factory inconsistency or if they’ve made any updates.