• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Clean Factory Batman

Don_Draper419

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/1/21
For taped in bezel inserts, another way to remove them without damaging/removing your bezel, is to let the watch sit overnight in a small dish of mineral spirits.

This breaks down the tape adhesiveness and the bezel insert will fall right out. Just clean off the back of the insert and the bezel top with Goo Gone and you're done!

Last edited:

Don_Draper419

14/1/21
For taped in bezel inserts, another way to remove them without damaging/removing your bezel, is to let the watch sit overnight in a small dish of mineral spirits.

This breaks down the tape adhesiveness and the bezel insert will fall right out. Just clean off the back of the insert and the bezel top with Goo Gone and you're done!

Reactions: leo6929

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09
I use a hair dryer to heat up
The insert and bezel once it’s off the watch, the heat temporarily weakens the adhesive and lets you normally remove the insert even without destroying the adhesive. Most of the time the adhesive is reusable if needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlphaProt

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
24/3/19
New Zealand
I use a hair dryer to heat up
The insert and bezel once it’s off the watch, the heat temporarily weakens the adhesive and lets you normally remove the insert even without destroying the adhesive. Most of the time the adhesive is reusable if needed

I use this method as well. be sure to remove the hytrel ring before using a heat gun!! otherwise, it will be bent out of form and you're in the shit.

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09
I use this method as well. be sure to remove the hytrel ring before using a heat gun!! otherwise, it will be bent out of form and you're in the shit.

Yes Of course, I normally machine my own hytrel rings out of better material anyway… the stock rep ones aren’t great and definitely are not heat resistant lol.

Reactions: AlphaProt

tdx18

Known Member
Certified
3/10/19
I agree - in direct comparison with the ARF, there is about no downside to me other than the bezel. The bezel action on the clean is absolute shit and has no resemblance to how it or even a gen should feel like.

I initially got the ARF since I liked their hands so much but at least on the batch I received, the hands became mediocre at best. The clean ones are rather good, much better than the ARF one but on about the same level as another ARF (116710LN) I bought two years ago.

I'll probably have to sacrifice the ARFs bezel assembly and transplant it onto the CF since I absolutely cannot stand the bezel action on it.

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
I agree - in direct comparison with the ARF, there is about no downside to me other than the bezel. The bezel action on the clean is absolute shit and has no resemblance to how it or even a gen should feel like.

I initially got the ARF since I liked their hands so much but at least on the batch I received, the hands became mediocre at best. The clean ones are rather good, much better than the ARF one but on about the same level as another ARF (116710LN) I bought two years ago.

I'll probably have to sacrifice the ARFs bezel assembly and transplant it onto the CF since I absolutely cannot stand the bezel action on it.

It's not just the bezel it's also the insert, which is what makes a batman a batman. ARF doesn't have speedbumps

tdx18

Known Member
Certified
3/10/19
It's not just the bezel it's also the insert, which is what makes a batman a batman. ARF doesn't have speedbumps

I agree, but on both my pieces, the inserts look virtually the same, neither having visible speed bumps whatsoever. But one singular piece certainly is not representative.

Cheerio

Reactions: Tobel

noobrollieboy

Supporter
Certified
10/2/19
what makes the bezel action so bad ? is it one of they things that would only be noticeable if compared back to back with gen ?

I was ready to pull the trigger on gen this week but I think that's when you really ask yourself the question are these minor imperfections really worth spending an extra 13k ! then insurance etc etc !

tdx18

Known Member
Certified
3/10/19
My CF bezel on the BLNR feels nowhere near like a gen would feel like. There's almost no tactile feedback when moving the bezel action, which probably is related to the aforementioned overgreasing and lower level of machining quality of all parts involved.

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
My CF bezel on the BLNR feels nowhere near like a gen would feel like. There's almost no tactile feedback when moving the bezel action, which probably is related to the aforementioned overgreasing and lower level of machining quality of all parts involved.

Yeah but how often do you actually use the bezel? Providing it looks up to scratch. I'm willing to bet 90% of users, maybe more leave it in its position and never move it in their lives other than to go "oh look it can move" when its new.

Dunno just seems like a very minor complaint.

Reactions: srhoque

tdx18

Known Member
Certified
3/10/19
Yeah but how often do you actually use the bezel? Providing it looks up to scratch. I'm willing to bet 90% of users, maybe more leave it in its position and never move it in their lives other than to go "oh look it can move" when its new.

Absolutely. But as everyone has to come to their own conclusions, I'm merely trying to depict the differences to gen since noobrollieboy was inquiring about it.

I, for myself, tend to use it quite often for setting a quick rough timing reference for something, i.e. when I do have to check back something in approx. 15 minutes or get an hours reference throughout the day using the bezel and 24 hour hand something similar to that. Granularity of these timings is limited for sure and the Sub is certainly more appropriate in some ways, but I use it regardless and hence I'm bothered by it nonetheless.

Edit: Oh and yes of course, visually, this is completely irrelevant.

Last edited:

RiffRalf

Renowned Member
10/7/19
USA

It is -to me anyway- a cardinal feature of the watch, the ability to follow time in three timezones.
Otherwise why get a GMTII?