• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Chinese brands that scratch the "itch"

Got20Mate

Hunting for the perfect Speedy rep!
Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
I took a chance on a steeldive, Pepsi style, absolutely garbage, the nastiest feeling bezel, lousy time keeping. Threw it away.
You've gotta try these things in hand, it makes all the difference holding them as the press photos are always so "good" looking.

Reactions: Andrew_watchlist

torontotbr

Known Member
25/8/23
Honestly I feel like most times you are better off with an original or semi-original design. direct copies (or "homages" if you must) of a luxury watch just end up giving a feeling of not getting the real thing (even more so than reps, in my opinion).

Reactions: Got20Mate

Got20Mate

Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
Honestly I feel like most times you are better off with an original or semi-original design. direct copies (or "homages" if you must) of a luxury watch just end up giving a feeling of not getting the real thing (even more so than reps, in my opinion).
I've suffered from this all too well. Fallen in love with press shots, had them arrive and then shifted them on. For me they miss the magic of the "heritage" brands but maybe it's all in my head and I've just convinced myself it's gospel. Lol

torontotbr

Known Member
25/8/23
I've suffered from this all too well. Fallen in love with press shots, had them arrive and then shifted them on. For me they miss the magic of the "heritage" brands but maybe it's all in my head and I've just convinced myself it's gospel. Lol
exactly. never as good as it seems online

Reaps

There is no such thing as a 1:1 Replica!
25/9/22
exactly. never as good as it seems online
I think it comes down to expectations. If you want a homage to satisfy your urge of buying gen then it won't do anything.

But again I said it before. Homage is the best watch you can get under $250 without rep hassle.

San Martin - on the fly adjustment, NH34, great polishing, ceramic bezel, sapphire crystal for under $200 is a killer deal.

Of course when we find reps people tend to stop buying homages but still.

Also I would never buy a Chinese homage that costs over $300.

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
As most of you know, back in the 1960s Blancpain's Fifty Fathoms was the king of the diving watches. But the "Buy American Act" prevented the US military to buy a foreign made product for their Navy.
US distributor Allen Tornek had an idea: he approached Blancpain and they redialed the watch and put Tornek-Rayville on the dial, Tornek being his family name and Rayville being a twist to Blancpain's Ville de Ray location in France.
These watches even came with sterile dials, and they all cost silly money now as most of them were destroyed on purpose.

Here's a genuine, sterile dial Tornek-Rayville, worth around $100K:

Here's a Rdnunae R6 with sterile dial optioin, powered by a Seiko SH35, costing $179.90 delivered to your door:

Here's the same watch on my wrist as a low key "daily" on my recent Mexico trip:

Currently this watch is on the way to Italy, for a competent vintage treatment. If you wanted, you could at this time add a Blancpain or Tornek-Rayville dial.

Eventually, you would be getting close to the amazing vintage Blancpains @Alhig72 has in his collection.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/found-military-issued-tornek-rayville

Last edited:

Got20Mate

Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
As most of you know, back in the 1960s Blancpain's Fifty Fathoms was the king of the diving watches. But the "Buy American Act" prevented the US military to buy a foreign made product for their Navy.
US distributor Allen Tornek had an idea: he approached Blancpain and they redialed the watch and put Tornek-Rayville on the dial, Tornek being his family name and Rayville being a twist to Blancpain's Ville de Ray location in France.
These watches even came with sterile dials, and they all cost silly money now as most of them were destroyed on purpose.

Here's a genuine, sterile dial Tornek-Rayville, worth around $100K:

Here's a Rdnunae R6 with sterile dial optioin, powered by a Seiko SH35, costing $179.90 delivered to your door:

Here's the same watch on my wrist as a low key "daily" on my recent Mexico trip:

Currently this watch is on the way to Italy, for a competent vintage treatment. If you wanted, you could at this time add a Blancpain or Tornek-Rayville dial.

Eventually, you would be getting close to the amazing vintage Blancpains @Alhig72 has in his collection.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/found-military-issued-tornek-rayville
Nice input, those three are the bottom look stunning 🤩

Reactions: Hesekiel

Reaps

25/9/22
If you're interested in the Sugess just wait until the 11.11 sale and you can get more discounts. I'll never buy these watches without some kind of sale.

Reactions: teloos

teloos

88 miles per hour!
22/3/23
If you're interested in the Sugess just wait until the 11.11 sale and you can get more discounts. I'll never buy these watches without some kind of sale.
There's 12% discount off all watches now, but might be more later as you say :)

Good tip!

Reactions: Reaps

Reaps

25/9/22
There's 12% discount off all watches now, but might be more later as you say :)

Good tip!
My seestern 62mas goes for 160 without sale, I got it for 120 with a free strap.

In fact if you hunt for these watches they can be had half off second hand. So you can get a Sugess Daytona for $225 with the 4801 with some luck.

Reactions: teloos and Caboose

fatarms

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
9/5/12
Gelena Shitinerand
I almost bought a gen Laureato about a year ago, always loved the look of the watch. It's a more affordable version of an AP Royal Oak, but in my opinion, has better lines and case layout. There were reps of the watch available, but with white date wheels (they are supposed to match the dial color.)

Cut to today, I came across the Bettimer (friggin Chinese watch companies have the worst names...) B8001. This thing is a pretty dead on ringer for the original. I pulled the trigger on Amazon's Prime Day, they were on sale and had an extra $20 coupon as well and should be here Monday. The stars aligned tonight, my friends.

These are also available on Ali from a bunch of sellers if you're interested.

The logo at the top leaves a little to be desired. As mentioned, the brand name is awful. Other than that, I can't wait to get my hands on it. I ordered the blue one. The green one is interesting in that the chapter ring is the only one that doesn't match the dial color (chapter ring on the green dial is black, nice contrast but don't think I would like the green dial.)

https://bettimer.com/

h8MeX1.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: teloos and Reaps

Feefo

CEO, Vaselume (TM) Corporation
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
I almost bought a gen Laureato about a year ago, always loved the look of the watch. It's a more affordable version of an AP Royal Oak, but in my opinion, has better lines and case layout. There were reps of the watch available, but with white date wheels (they are supposed to match the dial color.)

Cut to today, I came across the Bettimer (friggin Chinese watch companies have the worst names...) B8001. This thing is a pretty dead on ringer for the original. I pulled the trigger on Amazon's Prime Day, they were on sale and had an extra $20 coupon as well and should be here Monday. The stars aligned tonight, my friends.

These are also available on Ali from a bunch of sellers if you're interested.

The logo at the top leaves a little to be desired. As mentioned, the brand name is awful. Other than that, I can't wait to get my hands on it. I ordered the blue one. The green one is interesting in that the chapter ring is the only one that doesn't match the dial color (chapter ring on the green dial is black, nice contrast but don't think I would like the green dial.)

https://bettimer.com/

h8MeX1.jpeg
Post your impressions when you get it. I like that watch, too. Wondering if on Ali you can get a sterile one.

Reactions: fatarms and Reaps

Reaps

25/9/22
I'm looking at this watch for my 11.11 sale. The rep is fucking awful for the Air Command. This homage is half the price and looks way better. If I get ballsy I can get a custom dial made to replicate a BP AC.

Hoping to get one for under $200 which is more than fair.

Feefo

CEO, Vaselume (TM) Corporation
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
I'm looking at this watch for my 11.11 sale. The rep is fucking awful for the Air Command. This homage is half the price and looks way better. If I get ballsy I can get a custom dial made to replicate a BP AC.

Hoping to get one for under $200 which is more than fair.

Personally prefer the Airain to any BP

• Love
Reactions: Reaps

Reaps

25/9/22
Personally prefer the Airain to any BP

Love a Type 20. If I had to get any kind of gen chrono it would be a Type 20 inspired chrono flyback. 3 and a half grand is relatively steep (I'm spoiled by replicas)

Reactions: Feefo