• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Chinese brands that scratch the "itch"

Caboose

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS
Chinese brands can be quite inconsistent. Some brands offer excellent models while others fall short. I recommend checking out r/ChineseWatches on Reddit for more insights.

The issues often mirror those found with replicas - quality control, fit and finish. Sharp bracelets, gaps between end links and less than perfect dials.

My favorite current is the Sugess Top Time, which is incredibly good for its price. It's a pity that it's manually wound.

Own a Sugess Top Time and it is great. Really nice.

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
The Seagull 1963 will never leave mine either.
I bought one for my kid too as he fell in love with mine.

My only regret is that I bought the sapphire at that time, because I did not know better about vintage and the charm of scratchy acrylic

Reactions: 1016_idiot_savant

Got20Mate

Hunting for the perfect Speedy rep!
Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
I'm thinking about picking up an IX DAO 39mm Pelagos, there's a bunch of Pelagos homages out there, but after viewing some Youtube comparison reviews the IXDAO seems to be the one to get.

I view Chinese watch Reddit daily.
I need to see this as I don't think I've seen this one yet. Chinese watch is a good subreddit to be fair

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
Love the Seagull 1963 as well, as it's not a replica and not an homage, but a GEN with a unique identity and charisma, in this case the Chinese Red Star. That said, the watch WILL most likely leave your collection before your child is grown up, @1016_idiot_savant , @Karbon74, because it will die on you and fixing it would cost more than a new watch.
Just sayin' . . .

Reactions: Got20Mate

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Love the Seagull 1963 as well, as it's not a replica and not an homage, but a GEN with a unique identity and charisma, in this case the Chinese Red Star. That said, the watch WILL most likely leave your collection before your child is grown up, @1016_idiot_savant , @Karbon74, because it will die on you and fixing it would cost more than a new watch.
Just sayin' . . .
That’s alright. It’s not an expensive watch and honestly I rarely wear it too. it’s more of a collection piece

Reactions: Got20Mate

Got20Mate

Hunting for the perfect Speedy rep!
Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
That’s alright. It’s not an expensive watch and honestly I rarely wear it too. it’s more of a collection piece
That would be the reason I'd keep it, it's iconic in its own way and very much within the watch community

Reactions: Karbon74

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
What's the name of this watch? it has space age vibes to it

I called it the Tcherno-Byld 😁
It is a Vostok komandirskie

I modded the case, aged the custom dial and custom hands. The concept is a watch that survived the Chernobyl explosion and stopped due to radiation 15 mins after the meltdown of the nuclear core…hence the imprint of the hands on the dial at that time

gym chan

Certified
1/4/18
Vietnam/Canada
I called it the Tcherno-Byld 😁
It is a Vostok komandirskie

I modded the case, aged the custom dial and custom hands. The concept is a watch that survived the Chernobyl explosion and stopped due to radiation 15 mins after the meltdown of the nuclear core…hence the imprint of the hands on the dial at that time
Impressive work, I legit thought that was stock :ROFLMAO: