• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Calatrava 5226G

EI449

Do not accept unsolicited offers
17/3/24
PPF 5226G on a custom saffiano leather strap from ziczac leather with a PP deployant clasp from buystrap

Reactions: kufzz

kufzz

31/7/24
For those interested in white gold plating, was able to get a custom order through Flan Dad for PPF version with plating, tan strap, and rotor silencing for $775 all in. Very excited to say the least and will share some pics when she arrives

Reactions: onthebeam

zinduna

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
4/7/09
I'm interested to know whether flan plated the watch with the movement inside or decased it. If he decased it, how?

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Sorry, the first post had a video attached, but I guess it didn't upload.
It didn't upload becuase you have more than one account at RWI so all your posts go into an approval queue. Please take out a support ticket at The RWI Help Desk to get the matter sorted or no one will see your posts.

EI449

17/3/24
Has anyone figured out how to take off the caseback on this watch? I want to regulate my watch. In love with my dial/strap combo :love:

Reactions: onthebeam

zinduna

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
4/7/09
Has anyone figured out how to take off the caseback on this watch? I want to regulate my watch. In love with my dial/strap combo :love:

That's the million dollar question.

@Nikz19, can you tell us how you did this? I read somewhere that you used a crystal press, but I don't understand how. Would love to get your input.

onthebeam

Getting To Know The Place
1/6/24

Excellent choice, EI. I wore the gen recently. You likely know it comes with two straps, including the beige suede and a saffiano-type strap that looks VERY close to yours. The pattern picks up the face look well. The gen does not have that VERY COOL clasp of yours. I wonder about comfort. I spend several hours a day at the computer and my arms rest on the desk. The feel of any given buckle / clasp of the watch I am wearing is most noticeable while resting on the desk.

Can you describe wearing comfort for this clasp. One thing is fore sure, PP needs you on staff! Great look!

onthebeam

1/6/24

I am going to order it soon. But this is truly a crucial point. What is the point of having an automatic watch if you can't get it open to service and regulate???

Crazy.

Baklava

14/9/23
Paris
I don’t agree with this. There is a huge difference in hue between a steel Patek and a WG Patek. The steel are grey in tone. The white gold is a much warmer slightly yellow tone and more bright white. Once you’ve seen it with a gen in hands, you can never unsee it.
It can be seen from a distance. No ones fooling anyone with a steel rep of a WG Patek.
Hello Everyone,
I just ordered the PPF version but after reading with more attention this thread i am getting worried about the WG versus steel issue.
I mean i don’t intend to get it plated this year (maybe next year) and after reading this message i am kind of getting worried of having an « obvious » fake . I know most people don’t look at your watch and even the one who do, they don’t get a close look but when i read « it can be seen from a distance » i kind of get worried : it would be my first rep and I would avoid to look like a fool...
So should switch my order to something else (a Calatrava 5296R or G by ZF ? or maybe some steel AP/Daytona ?
Thanks in advance for your answers

Pinion Minion

World Class Breaker of Movements
Patron
Certified
5/8/22
Texas
Hello Everyone,
I just ordered the PPF version but after reading with more attention this thread i am getting worried about the WG versus steel issue.
I mean i don’t intend to get it plated this year (maybe next year) and after reading this message i am kind of getting worried of having an « obvious » fake . I know most people don’t look at your watch and even the one who do, they don’t get a close look but when i read « it can be seen from a distance » i kind of get worried : it would be my first rep and I would avoid to look like a fool...
So should switch my order to something else (a Calatrava 5296R or G by ZF ? or maybe some steel AP/Daytona ?
Thanks in advance for your answers

If you are not going to get it plated immediately- don't plate it. Many of the best platers do not want to plate a worn watch because any scratches/dings will not allow it to plate properly.

As far as the steel/white gold issue- on larger watches with big bracelets like a Rolex Smurf- the weight is certainly an issue if you let others handle your watch- others that actually know that:

A- it is supposed to be a white gold watch and
B- that they know how heavy a white gold watch is supposed to be.

Visually, it MIGHT be an issue with the very well versed and discerning eye within two feet of your watch- but something like the Calatrava (I have one- and it is plated) - the amount of exposed metal is so small I dont think it will make much of a difference in both visual appeal as well as weight.

Hope this helps

Reactions: MaximillianGT

Baklava

14/9/23
Paris
If you are not going to get it plated immediately- don't plate it. Many of the best platers do not want to plate a worn watch because any scratches/dings will not allow it to plate properly.

As far as the steel/white gold issue- on larger watches with big bracelets like a Rolex Smurf- the weight is certainly an issue if you let others handle your watch- others that actually know that:

Visually, it MIGHT be an issue with the very well versed and discerning eye within two feet of your watch- but something like the Calatrava (I have one- and it is plated) - the amount of exposed metal is so small I dont think it will make much of a difference in both visual appeal as well as weight.

Hope this helps
It helps a lot and thank you very much for this fast answer : i will sleep better tonight :)
I have two nice gens i bought like 20 years ago, a sea dweller and a speedmaster, so for my first gen i was hesitating between two ideas :
- some hyped model you can’t get at retail like some Daytona, AP RO, or Patek Aquanaut or Nautilus (all steel)
- some model with a nice visual ( and a decent movement) which is less recognizable (i mean by some not into watch) : like some IWC portuguese 7 days, a calatrava , a blancpain 50 fathoms or a VC (i guess watches you can get at retail but that i can’t afford :( )
Did any of you guys has the same thought process ?
I followed the second route with this 5226G : it screams quality but is not widespread as a gen (or a rep :) ) : i will of course share pictures when i will get it
Thanks again

Pinion Minion

World Class Breaker of Movements
Patron
Certified
5/8/22
Texas
I think you made a wise choice with the 5226. Subtle and very elegant. You will enjoy it.

onthebeam

1/6/24
VERY uncommon IRL. Just enjoy this beautiful watch. I've worn the GEN and have no qualms about enjoying rep, too.

Reactions: Pinion Minion

APjumbo

Just one more
Supporter
Certified
11/1/11
Canada

As mentioned above, Nikz did it once, if I recall he had to press the back off it comes off with the side pieces in some way.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia

Hope this helps

I agree with you on the matter of weight and look of white gold.

It’s all a matter of how close one wants your watch to gen.

If one just want to try it out and can accept the flaws. Then it’s perfectly all right.

I have a yellow gold AP perpetual calendar and my colleague has a gen Patek 5227J. Both have very little metal on them. But when you’ve felt the heft of them, my rep 5227R feels like a feather compared to them.

Then again it’s a matter of preference and probably no one is taking the watch off your wrist anyhow.

I agree that if it was a bracelet watch the problem will be bigger. With a leather strap watch the weight difference is much less pronounced.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
It helps a lot and thank you very much for this fast answer : i will sleep better tonight :)
I have two nice gens i bought like 20 years ago, a sea dweller and a speedmaster, so for my first gen i was hesitating between two ideas :
- some hyped model you can’t get at retail like some Daytona, AP RO, or Patek Aquanaut or Nautilus (all steel)
- some model with a nice visual ( and a decent movement) which is less recognizable (i mean by some not into watch) : like some IWC portuguese 7 days, a calatrava , a blancpain 50 fathoms or a VC (i guess watches you can get at retail but that i can’t afford :( )
Did any of you guys has the same thought process ?
I followed the second route with this 5226G : it screams quality but is not widespread as a gen (or a rep :) ) : i will of course share pictures when i will get it
Thanks again

@Pinion Minion made a good point on the weight difference. You should try the watch out and see if it’s for your liking. I myself have a rep 5227R, I know the flaws. Mainly the finishing and depth in dial of gen, and the weight difference. But I still enjoy it for what it is. I usually choose the R or J versions because I then avoid the steel look of the G versions.

damocles

Renowned Member
Certified
21/12/15
I agree with you on the matter of weight and look of white gold.

It’s all a matter of how close one wants your watch to gen.

If one just want to try it out and can accept the flaws. Then it’s perfectly all right.

I have a yellow gold AP perpetual calendar and my colleague has a gen Patek 5227J. Both have very little metal on them. But when you’ve felt the heft of them, my rep 5227R feels like a feather compared to them.

Then again it’s a matter of preference and probably no one is taking the watch off your wrist anyhow.

I agree that if it was a bracelet watch the problem will be bigger. With a leather strap watch the weight difference is much less pronounced.
I held the gen 5227r again today at the AD, the difference in weight is actually quite pronounced when compared to my rep.

The rep 5227r zf is 60g with my CF strap while the gen is 78g with strarp. 18g might not be much, but with such a light watch it is 30% heavier on the gen.

Curious if anyone has tried putting lead tape inside the watch to make it heavier? is there any room to do that? I have put lead tapes on golf clubs before and they work well, 1 inch of lead tape is about 2grams of added weight.

Reactions: jm_brc_7057