• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Calatrava 5226G

zinduna

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
4/7/09
I held the gen 5227r again today at the AD, the difference in weight is actually quite pronounced when compared to my rep.

The rep 5227r zf is 60g with my CF strap while the gen is 78g with strarp. 18g might not be much, but with such a light watch it is 30% heavier on the gen.

Curious if anyone has tried putting lead tape inside the watch to make it heavier? is there any room to do that? I have put lead tapes on golf clubs before and they work well, 1 inch of lead tape is about 2grams of added weight.

I don't see lining the case with lead tape. There's no room. What might work would be replacing the retainer ring with a custom made lead piece. That would give you approximately 40% weight gain. So if the stock retainer ring were 10 grams, a lead replacement would be 14.2 g. Is it worth it? Up to you.

Reactions: Pinion Minion

damocles

Renowned Member
Certified
21/12/15
I don't see lining the case with lead tape. There's no room. What might work would be replacing the retainer ring with a custom made lead piece. That would give you approximately 40% weight gain. So if the stock retainer ring were 10 grams, a lead replacement would be 14.2 g. Is it worth it? Up to you.
You are right. 4g weight gain will be hardly noticeable though.
One way to do it is to tape the external case back lol

Gtmatt22

Supporter
Certified
7/1/21
CONUS
Is it even possible to get a WG CNC case made? I have seen that done for the Nautilus and a few others but never for the 5226g. Where would you even start if you wanted it done?

zinduna

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
4/7/09
Is it even possible to get a WG CNC case made? I have seen that done for the Nautilus and a few others but never for the 5226g. Where would you even start if you wanted it done?
A CNC case is possible but would be a lot of work. It would be better to just white gold plate the rep watch. Here's how I did it.

First of all, to disassemble the watch, it's a top-loader, so you have to remove the top bezel and crystal. Thankfully, there is a groove in the bezel, which should be at either six or twelve o'clock.

hq5seX.jpeg

Use tape or plastic to protect the surface, then gently pry it off with a case-back tool.

hqeUfR.jpeg

Once the top crystal is removed, remove the hands and the dial to expose the movement ring underneath. Four long screws hold the movement to the mid-case and the bottom case (lugs and case back). Loosen these screws and tip the watch over while supporting it with a watch cushion. Take the bottom case off. Gently remove the crown and stem by pushing on the stem release button, and the mid-case will come off, leaving the movement in the movement ring and the mid-case free.

hq5uti.jpeg

All told the case has three parts: the bezel and crystal, the mid-case, and the bottom case. Sorry, I forgot to take pictures of the individual pieces.

Now you're good to go for plating, and it also exposes the movement regulator for fine-tuning and rotor silencing. I was pleased to be able to dial the Miyota in pretty well.

hqeIOj.jpeg

When reassembling the watch, align the notch under the crown at the 3 o'clock position. I got this wrong the first time and had to reverse my progress to fix it.

Here's how mine turned out.

hqeCJE.jpeg

hqepk2.jpeg

EI449

Do not accept unsolicited offers
17/3/24
Excellent choice, EI. I wore the gen recently. You likely know it comes with two straps, including the beige suede and a saffiano-type strap that looks VERY close to yours. The pattern picks up the face look well. The gen does not have that VERY COOL clasp of yours. I wonder about comfort. I spend several hours a day at the computer and my arms rest on the desk. The feel of any given buckle / clasp of the watch I am wearing is most noticeable while resting on the desk.

Can you describe wearing comfort for this clasp. One thing is fore sure, PP needs you on staff! Great look!

Sorry for the delayed response — my 5226g actually stopped working soon after I made this post. However, I was able to send it back to Steve @ TheOneWatches in China and recently received it back. Thankfully, it seems to be working great now!

I also work at a computer all day with my wrists resting on my desk. I don’t experience any discomfort and I’m not afraid of the clasp scratching. I do use a desk mat though.

The only times I take the watch off is after washing my hands since my hands and wrist can sometimes feel damp and I don’t like that feeling with a watch on.

I actually love this watch and strap so much, I ordered another one that was white gold plated from flan_dad. It looks amazing plated. Unfortunately that one had some issues with its rate, amplitude, and beat error, but it’s currently being serviced and covered by them.

EI449

17/3/24
Sorry for the delayed response — my 5226g actually stopped working soon after I made this post. However, I was able to send it back to Steve @ TheOneWatches in China and recently received it back. Thankfully, it seems to be working great now!

I also work at a computer all day with my wrists resting on my desk. I don’t experience any discomfort and I’m not afraid of the clasp scratching. I do use a desk mat though.

The only times I take the watch off is after washing my hands since my hands and wrist can sometimes feel damp and I don’t like that feeling with a watch on.

I actually love this watch and strap so much, I ordered another one that was white gold plated from flan_dad. It looks amazing plated. Unfortunately that one had some issues with its rate, amplitude, and beat error, but it’s currently being serviced and covered by them.
I forgot to mention that I’ll be getting a clasp white gold plated so it can match the watch I received from flan_dad because the difference is pretty noticeable.

onthebeam

Getting To Know The Place
1/6/24
Alas, I also have a recent PP rep that will need to get sent back to the RD. How long was the round trip repair time with Steve?

I have been thinking about ordering the 5226G from Steve very soon.

EI449

17/3/24
Alas, I also have a recent PP rep that will need to get sent back to the RD. How long was the round trip repair time with Steve?

I have been thinking about ordering the 5226G from Steve very soon.
  • 8/15 - Shipped via USPS to china
  • 8/25 - Says delivered in China
  • 8/28 - Delivered from shipping partner to Steve
  • 9/10 - Received QC e-mail of repair
  • 9/11 - Approved QC
  • 9/14 - Received tracking
  • 9/25 - Delivered
So 41 days total.

Reactions: onthebeam

onthebeam

Getting To Know The Place
1/6/24
  • 8/15 - Shipped via USPS to china
  • 8/25 - Says delivered in China
  • 8/28 - Delivered from shipping partner to Steve
  • 9/10 - Received QC e-mail of repair
  • 9/11 - Approved QC
  • 9/14 - Received tracking
  • 9/25 - Delivered
So 41 days total.

My PPF Patek 6007G clone has the same Miyota movement with exact problem you've encountered. Sent back to China today and hope all will be well with the repair. Do I dare order the 5226G after seeing that my problem is not a one off?

Yep, probably. I'm smitten with the 5226G. Having worn the gen, there's no going back I suppose. . .

Do you know if they just swapped your movement rather than repaired it?

EI449

17/3/24
My PPF Patek 6007G clone has the same Miyota movement with exact problem you've encountered. Sent back to China today and hope all will be well with the repair. Do I dare order the 5226G after seeing that my problem is not a one off?

Yep, probably. I'm smitten with the 5226G. Having worn the gen, there's no going back I suppose. . .

Do you know if they just swapped your movement rather than repaired it?
Steve mentioned replacing the movement, so I assume that’s what they did.