• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

BTF platinum Daytona

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Also, despite correct case PT950 markings, the inside of the caseback doesn't have the correct markings. It appears as though the inside of the caseback cover has standard Stainless Steel markings. And between the lugs the word Stainless Steel is engraved. And on the clasp there's a 750 marking that should be PT950. Kinda feel like this was rushed to market without much attention to detail.

zOjkEb.jpg

zOj4Hp.jpg

zOjM15.jpg

zOjdti.jpg

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Also, despite correct case PT950 markings, the inside of the caseback doesn't have the correct markings. It appears as though the inside of the caseback cover has standard Stainless Steel markings. And between the lugs the word Stainless Steel is engraved. And on the clasp there's a 750 marking that should be PT950. Kinda feel like this was rushed to market without much attention to detail.

zOjkEb.jpg

zOj4Hp.jpg

zOjM15.jpg

zOjdti.jpg

Maybe the V2 fixes (some of) these issues and the pics shown are promos.

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
The non diamond dial one does have the wrong hands
Good catch. I was so focused on case markings that I completely overlooked that one... Sigh... I can only hope that BTF rushed this to market to be the first with a 4130 Platona to capture the sales ahead of what I hope will be a better release from Clean Factory (pardon the pun).

Reactions: KJ2020

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Maybe the V2 fixes (some of) these issues and the pics shown are promos.
It looks like these pics are the standard canon of PureTime studio pics. So my guess is that these are pics that PureTime made with a sample they got on hand. However, we have seen different clasp markings in the different videos that were posted earlier in the thread, so we can only hope that perhaps @puretime took studio pics of a bad early sample and that we'll see corrections in QC pics.

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
What are your thoughts on the case / lug / crown guard shape? Here are three pics from similar angles: BTF, gen IRL, and gen CGI. It looks like the gen IRL has longer SELs (or shorter lugs). But, the lug-to-crown-guard profile actually looks pretty similar between the BTF and the IRL gen.

zOjf53.png

zOjN0n.png

zOjEPE.png

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
A couple more pics from a NON-TD site showing the SEL extension beyond the lug (very nice)... but also a pretty bad SEL gap. I guess maybe the new lug design / SEL tolerances haven't been quite dialed in yet.

zOzUbI.webp

zOza5c.jpg

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
What are your thoughts on the case / lug / crown guard shape? Here are three pics from similar angles: BTF, gen IRL, and gen CGI. It looks like the gen IRL has longer SELs (or shorter lugs). But, the lug-to-crown-guard profile actually looks pretty similar between the BTF and the IRL gen.

zOjf53.png

zOjN0n.png

zOjEPE.png

The pic angle changes the apparent relationship between SEL and lugs, you can see a distinct difference in all those samples from top to bottom in each pic.

The BTF case shape isn't bad, on the wrist the small differences shouldn't be too apparent. In a close comparison to gen the BT lug curves and angles, and the CG curves look a little too pronounced.

zOzI9p.jpg

Reactions: brane and dogwood

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
A couple more pics from a NON-TD site showing the SEL extension beyond the lug (very nice)... but also a pretty bad SEL gap. I guess maybe the new lug design / SEL tolerances haven't been quite dialed in yet.

zOzUbI.webp

zOza5c.jpg

That SEL gap is a reject for me and I'm pretty forgiving. Hope that's a one off.

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
That SEL gap is a reject for me and I'm pretty forgiving. Hope that's a one off.
Agreed. I've been hunting around for pics on other TD and non-TD sites to see if that SEL gap is visible in other pics... so far the white background on VT's site makes the gap the most visible. It's hard to spot on PureTime or TheOneWatches because they have black backgrounds for their photos. So far I haven't found it listed on any other TDs, but I'm sure more pics are coming.

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada

Deesygti

Horology Curious
17/8/22
Thanks for sharing. New member here so learning lots from reading the comments.

Was previously set on purchasing a clean v2 daytona 116500 and then saw the v3 coming.

Now it seems like it's worth the wait for a clean daytona platinum comparison to the btf.

Really appreciate the knowledge here and allows me to stay up to date on my new hobby.

Bullflo3

Supporter
Certified
13/2/18
Yeah, it doesn’t look bad… but I can’t get past the Au750 markings that should be Pt950.

I’m curious how long we’ll have to wait for a response from CF?
Markings are a bummer but the wrong hands is the killer for me. Otherwise I think it’s a very solid piece. Haven’t priced out gen hands yet but I feel (hope) clean can get that part right out the gate. They are taking their time with releases though, lol.

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Markings are a bummer but the wrong hands is the killer for me. Otherwise I think it’s a very solid piece. Haven’t priced out gen hands yet but I feel (hope) clean can get that part right out the gate. They are taking their time with releases though, lol.

Agreed, although I think I prefer the look of the diamond dial version. So hands are less of a concern.

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
Personally I could not care less about the marking code... I'm waiting to see if Clean will somehow be better but you already know they'll have their fair share of flaws as well + an inferior crystal. I really like this

a1660805953111_8267.jpg

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Interestingly, these are now on sale at PureTime (until Aug 31st). This sale in combination with the fact that some of the videos we've seen in this thread show cases / clasps with different markings is making me suspicious that the pics we're seeing are from an initial run and included a cobbled together set of parts with errors.

Speculation: Maybe BTF ordered a bunch of pt950 marked cases, but when they arrived from the case manufacturer (or their internal cnc shop or whatever), the cases had serious errors (e.g. the words STAINLESS STEEL engraved between the lugs)... but BTF didn't want to write off this batch of cases as a business loss, nor did they want to let CF be first to market. So they assembled the watches using the flawed parts and are offering these watches to vendors at a discount to clear out their defective inventory, knowing the there would be a rush of orders for the first 4130 Platona to hit the market. And then they could quickly follow up with a v2 which would correct the most egregious errors.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Seems a reasonable assumption, but is Clean going to make this one? I haven’t heard anything.

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Seems a reasonable assumption, but is Clean going to make this one? I haven’t heard anything.

In this thread from a while back, @jtimewatch posted a pic showing the dials of the Daytona models that CF was working on. The dial on the bottom left is from the non-diamond Platona (I think). So I’d say we have one data point from a reliable source that CF was at least working on a Platona at one point in the not too distant past.