• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Brushed as per gen - what the hell does this mean?

Johnny Depp

WATCHMAKER
Certified
30/12/14
ITALY
904L brushed does NOT look the same as 316L.

And @Johnny Depp unless your brushing and polishing tools come directly from Rolex or you are certified by Rolex your work will never be Rolex Genuine Brushing.

Far from it sorry

The factory used low quality brushes

you do not need to work or have a Rolex machine

just having a swiss Made machine is of high quality brushes. to give light to steel

give the feeling of steel. not iron

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
@little I think this is a great question and all the foolish and half assed attempt to make fun of something you don't understand just shows your ignorance.

(NOT AIMED AT YOU...LOL)

I know we focus a lot on the 16610 that was first introduced nearly 30 years ago, I imagine there are a lot of jewelers that know exactly what tools to use, So I think you could honestly say "Brushed as per genuine" if you had the right person do it. I don't think what Rolex does is impossible for someone else to replicate outside of a Rolex service center.

This is not aimed at anyone in particular and I have seen some of the comically horrible work that people label "AS PER GENUINE"

I for one would love to know what type abrasive wheel/brush Rolex uses after that I think it could be fairly simple to at least rebrush a bracelet.

As for case lugs and bevels I think that might be a little more complicated but not at all outside of the abilities of some of our more gifted moders given the right tools.

eazye

I'm Pretty Popular
9/1/13
Sooo.....we're saying that if you put enough elbow grease in to brushing 316L, it's possible to change its color so that it will be white like 904L and stay that way? Or you would have to put it on schedule maintenance brushing to maintain the effect?

maxracingshox

I'm Pretty Popular
17/7/12
Rolex puts so much effort in this because they produce millions of pieces each year and while they have to maintain a high level of quality, they have to be profitable.
If you have some brushing and polishing experience with rotary machines, duplicating the look of a brand new gen takes some work, but is not impossible. Get the grain, pressure and angles right and you'll be able to nail the finish of a genuine piece.
Even Rolex has variances in their production line ;)

maxracingshox

I'm Pretty Popular
17/7/12
Sooo.....we're saying that if you put enough elbow grease in to brushing 316L, it's possible to change its color so that it will be white like 904L and stay that way? Or you would have to put it on schedule maintenance brushing to maintain the effect?
904l and 316l are visually pretty much identical. There is no way to tell them apart by the naked eye. The difference in appearance is a myth like many others are.

M_Hall

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/15
Maybe the term is misused in fact let's face it there is no maybe about it.

But the guys here that do re-brushing do a good service.

If I have a Noob Sub that's scratched and scuffed like mad, that's not how I like my watches to look. If a guy is going to disassemble my watch and brush and polish it all for me for a €100 odd euros then to me that's fair.

I can't do it as I have neither the tools or the dexterity so it's supply and demand.

Maybe they need to just stop with the Gen, Gen Spec or Gen like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
Beautiful Work.

My brushing
f62ee6e259694c43039f507f7500291f.jpg

ba5cdc5b8ddff62e94caa855b96d355e.jpg

94fdb94059b3f8d2f85d4e3fb65d1675.jpg

34e32b9e11ee52d817b22a1c0c9aa591.jpg

ef46e5378ce70bc0a7035559f605b23e.jpg

work done for @fama67

Sent from the RWI mobile app

chris3007

Mythical Poster
24/8/13
@little I think this is a great question and all the foolish and half assed attempt to make fun of something you don't understand just shows your ignorance.

(NOT AIMED AT YOU...LOL)

I know we focus a lot on the 16610 that was first introduced nearly 30 years ago, I imagine there are a lot of jewelers that know exactly what tools to use, So I think you could honestly say "Brushed as per genuine" if you had the right person do it. I don't think what Rolex does is impossible for someone else to replicate outside of a Rolex service center.

This is not aimed at anyone in particular and I have seen some of the comically horrible work that people label "AS PER GENUINE"

I for one would love to know what type abrasive wheel/brush Rolex uses after that I think it could be fairly simple to at least rebrush a bracelet.

As for case lugs and bevels I think that might be a little more complicated but not at all outside of the abilities of some of our more gifted moders given the right tools.

I read Rolex service center using this wheel for brushing
But I just read it, I don’t know if it’s true

a5fed3897ccf6d5e8e5921b8bab9588a.jpg

chris3007

Mythical Poster
24/8/13
And the guys from the Rolex forum recommending this wheel for re-brushing a Rolex

e55615fd887ed5f826808968030a775e.jpg

scottr

22/8/12
This has been a very informative thread now that it is on a more serious note. I can say that none of my Rolex bands are brushed correctly and I never minded it until someone started pointing out the difference.

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
This used for rolex gold, extra fine grain
use it on steel, it looks more like white .... like rolex

Its funny you should say "WHITE" because when Zocker did my TC V6 LN the metal did have a white coloration to it and sitting next to my genuine 216570 it was nearly indistinguishable at least in color, The texture of the 216570 was finer but then they are entirely different models so I suspect Rolex use a different brush on the EXP 2

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
Did TC brush as per gen too?

Close but no, I think the refinish that Zocker did was closer to genuine. But even from one gen 16610 to the next you see a difference immediately after a rebrush or comparing new old stock to a Rolex rebrush.

maxracingshox

I'm Pretty Popular
17/7/12
Its funny you should say "WHITE" because when Zocker did my TC V6 LN the metal did have a white coloration to it and sitting next to my genuine 216570 it was nearly indistinguishable at least in color, The texture of the 216570 was finer but then they are entirely different models so I suspect Rolex use a different brush on the EXP 2
I like to hear you finally got your V6 back from Zock :thumbsup:

LarryZek

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/3/17
Close but no, I think the refinish that Zocker did was closer to genuine. But even from one gen 16610 to the next you see a difference immediately after a rebrush or comparing new old stock to a Rolex rebrush.

Damn I guess TC wasn't perfect...