• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Brushed as per gen - what the hell does this mean?

Parabuteo

Patron, Salt and Lime
7/9/12
This topic isn't new. Recent thread..among quite a few:

https://forum.replica-watch.info/threads/factory-brushing.381059/

As @tripdog says there is a single R factory gen brushing and it's from R factory.

The rest is varying degrees of trying to mimic that hence the so-called "gen spec" or "per gen" term.

I'm sure certain Jewelers/Watchsmiths like Marons guy have it down to a science and the results are pretty indistinguishable from gen.

From what I have seen @Johnny Depp and @zocker4711 do a really nice job, Johnny says he uses Swiss machinery (I guess wheels from Bergeon)

As far as it being worth it and fair price for any individual job...no idea.

I use a green scrubby snatched from under the sink when my Noob gets too ratty for my "gen spec" rebrushing...if I ever sold a rep I would not charge for my service.

maxracingshox

I'm Pretty Popular
17/7/12

As @tripdog says there is a single R factory gen brushing and it's from R factory.

The rest is varying degrees of trying to mimic that hence the so-called "gen spec" or "per gen" term.

I'm sure certain Jewelers/Watchsmiths like Marons guy have it down to a science and the results are pretty indistinguishable from gen.

From what I have seen @Johnny Depp and @zocker4711 do a really nice job, Johnny says he uses Swiss machinery (I guess wheels from Bergeon)

I use a green scrubby snatched from under the sink when my Noob gets too ratty for my "gen spec" rebrushing...if I ever sold a rep I would not charge for my service.
"I'll let this dinged and beat up Noob V1 go for 1400 bucks, since I rebrushed it ten times as per gen with my kitchen sponge."
lol

ticktockmydickdoc

Renowned Member
10/6/17

Dude, what do you think they use at Rolex, some machinery or something?

"DAMNIT NICOLA, GET THE GREEN SCRUBBY, IT'S UNDER THE SINK. THAT WATCH NEEDS TO BE BRUSHED."

"Per gen, sir?"

Johnny Depp

WATCHMAKER
Gold Patron
Certified
30/12/14
ITALY
Guys, I'm sorry you think wrong.
I'll give you proof of the job
the brushing of the factory is more polished than a gen. with abrasive sponges you will never give the right lines. they need professional machinery

Brushing factory
View attachment 81083

velox

Respected Member
1/5/15
I think @Johnny Depp that no one thinks you are wrong. I think its being pointed out that some other say this but i think we all know how good work you produce for us members. BUT as some have said we (members) would like to know the process and perhaps see the different.

Johnny Depp

WATCHMAKER
Gold Patron
Certified
30/12/14
ITALY
My brushing
f62ee6e259694c43039f507f7500291f.jpg

ba5cdc5b8ddff62e94caa855b96d355e.jpg

94fdb94059b3f8d2f85d4e3fb65d1675.jpg

34e32b9e11ee52d817b22a1c0c9aa591.jpg

ef46e5378ce70bc0a7035559f605b23e.jpg

work done for @fama67

Sent from the RWI mobile app

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada

The guy that did my omega has it down to the science as prescribed by omega. He is trained by them to carry out the work to their standard using their methods, tools, and science. I think he does the same for rolex standards but don't quote me on that.

Sent from the RWI App

maxracingshox

I'm Pretty Popular
17/7/12
Guys, I'm sorry you think wrong.
I'll give you proof of the job
the brushing of the factory is more polished than a gen. with abrasive sponges you will never give the right lines. they need professional machinery

Brushing factory
View attachment 81083
That is a JF and JF has by far the worst brushing finish for Rolexes of all rep makers I know at least, so that's easy to improve.
Can you show us noob vs. gen vs. your rebrushing in one frame? Really curious.

2fake4u

Respected Member
20/9/16
its the "Brushed per gen" that is in question, not that it is brushed.

If you use the Rolex Machines and have been trained by Rolex, then sure, say brushed per gen.

If you just brush it, say "brushed per me"

EDIT: NOT AIMED AT ANYONE IN PARTICULAR

Soldier2304

I'm Pretty Popular
10/3/17
904L brushed does NOT look the same as 316L.

And @Johnny Depp unless your brushing and polishing tools come directly from Rolex or you are certified by Rolex your work will never be Rolex Genuine Brushing.

Far from it sorry

chris3007

Mythical Poster
24/8/13
This is a pic from a official Rolex service.
It don’t look like a special super duper top secret Rolex brushing machine.
Just looks like a buffing wheel for me

ddb5d7740cbd5eba2efd23978ff7a947.jpg

Reactions: ssouthall6

LarryZek

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/3/17
This is a pic from a official Rolex service.
It don’t look like a special super duper top secret Rolex brushing machine.
Just looks like a buffing wheel for me

ddb5d7740cbd5eba2efd23978ff7a947.jpg

I think they make the wheel out of Angel tears and old rolex crystals.

Parabuteo

Patron, Salt and Lime
7/9/12
I for one think @Johnny Depp does great work.

Tangentially interesting: from the horse's mouth: direct quotes from issue 6 of Rolex magazine - dealing with polishing...you can decide how much is BS:

"it takes several years for a polisher- nowadays known as a termineur- to reach such a level of proficiency- three years of apprenticeship and five years on the job"

"Polishing methods and criteria are now defined...from the types of machine tools and materials...right down to the techniques and basic handling needed to achieve a specified finish"

"Surface finishing is generally carried out by hand on polishing lathes fitted with softer discs. A more recent addition is a polymer pink brush wheel closely related to a kitchen scrubbing pad, used to obtain a satin finish"

I kid you not that's what it says...and it shows a pic of it in action:

View attachment 81096