• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Black Bay 58

RobSe1

goes Deepsea
Supporter
Certified
23/6/17
You can get the lever from Ofrei

http://www.tztoolshop.com/page30.html

41ba63aa4d0ad501f530a6df942e0815.png

A note of caution though, while this mod works perfectly with gen Eta 28xx’s - sometimes it won’t mesh properly with Asian clone keyless works.
You may need to transfer the entire set of keyless parts from your donor watch.

yeah, this also works. But Shipping Costs to EU are too expensive.
Jep Keyless often won't fit. even the rep stems often dont fit in an ETA clutch Wheel. The tollerances are often big.

RobSe1

goes Deepsea
Supporter
Certified
23/6/17
You can get the lever from Ofrei

http://www.tztoolshop.com/page30.html

41ba63aa4d0ad501f530a6df942e0815.png

A note of caution though, while this mod works perfectly with gen Eta 28xx’s - sometimes it won’t mesh properly with Asian clone keyless works.
You may need to transfer the entire set of keyless parts from your donor watch.

yeah, this also works. But Shipping Costs to EU are too expensive.
Jep Keyless often won't fit. even the rep stems often dont fit in an ETA clutch Wheel. The tollerances are often big.

Mr.pitt

Known Member
28/4/21
has anyone done a dial swap and hand swap to gen? wondering if it is worth it.

bigtiddygothgf

7/10/18
has anyone done a dial swap and hand swap to gen? wondering if it is worth it.

Extremely difficult to find a dial and hands, I havent seen either for sale and I've been looking for a while, but I would personally do a dial swap if I could find one. The ZF vs Gen comparison thread those the difference in the dials. I wouldn't both swapping to gen hands though, would just re-lume the ZF set to match gen dial. I also doubt gen hands would fit without modification. I'd put more emphasis on a gen bezel insert and lume pip. The ZF lume pip is a dead giveaway imo. Both the shape and material are different. The ZF pip is very plated yellow gold whereas the gen pip is rose gold.

bigtiddygothgf

7/10/18

Well guys, here's the gen bezel insert vs the ZF bezel insert. The one installed is ZF, the one on top is genuine. The pip differences are very visible, however some other differences are:

- the finish seems a touch smoother on gen
- the numerals are considerably darker on gen

I gotta say, the numerals on the ZF insert just look way more lively. The numbers on the gen insert are just kinda, dead? The ZF numerals shine in light and the gen numbers just remain pretty dull looking. I gotta say aside from the pip the ZF insert just looks better hahaha. Kinda disappointed with how the gen insert looks tbh. I have heard some gen owners noticing the numbers lightening up/fading in color quite a bit over time so maybe the gen insert will look better after some wear?

At this point I dont know if I'm even gonna install the gen insert.

eeats

Horology Curious
17/3/22
Australia

Well guys, here's the gen bezel insert vs the ZF bezel insert. The one installed is ZF, the one on top is genuine. The pip differences are very visible, however some other differences are:

- the finish seems a touch smoother on gen
- the numerals are considerably darker on gen

I gotta say, the numerals on the ZF insert just look way more lively. The numbers on the gen insert are just kinda, dead? The ZF numerals shine in light and the gen numbers just remain pretty dull looking. I gotta say aside from the pip the ZF insert just looks better hahaha. Kinda disappointed with how the gen insert looks tbh. I have heard some gen owners noticing the numbers lightening up/fading in color quite a bit over time so maybe the gen insert will look better after some wear?

At this point I dont know if I'm even gonna install the gen insert.

May I ask where you found the gen bezel insert with pip? I'm after one myself. Thanks !

bigtiddygothgf

7/10/18
May I ask where you found the gen bezel insert with pip? I'm after one myself. Thanks !

Found it on Chrono24. It was the only one online that I could find with the pip, every other one I've seen has just been insert only. Its weird cause the insert comes new in the blister with the pip already attached, so I have no idea why a vast majority for sale dont have it.

bigtiddygothgf

7/10/18

Gen insert installed. As usual I can never align these things properly. Eeeeeever so slightly to the left. A more concerning misalignment is the 6 o'clock marker. I didnt notice it at all in QC pics. Anyone know of a modder here that can align dial markers?

Reactions: pompompurin

iamxd

9/8/17
Europe
bigtiddygothgf
Any good watchmaker / modder should be able to realign the markers. Crooked markers unfortunately typical for ZF.
How much did you pay for the gen insert?

bigtiddygothgf

7/10/18
bigtiddygothgf
Any good watchmaker / modder should be able to realign the markers. Crooked markers unfortunately typical for ZF.
How much did you pay for the gen insert?

With international shipping it was about 230USD iirc. On the wrist I dont really notice the misaligned 6 marker all that much. Its my daily wear now so I dont really feel like sending it out to a watchmaker and not having it for a month+ right now. I'll probably just have it aligned once the movement dies and I send it out for replacement with a swiss ETA, Sellita, etc.

Although the ZF insert is flawed, after two weeks on the wrist I'm still on the fence about the gen insert to be honest. Ill likely keep it in but if my ZF insert didnt have a misaligned pip I'd probably have kept that one in the watch. The numbers on the gen insert I have are much duller and less radiant if that makes sense. If you google "BB58 insert fading" you'll find some threads about some discrepancies with the gen inserts. The early ones either had lighter/brighter markings to begin with or ended up fading over time. Hard to tell which it may be. The gen insert I have seems like its probably more recent since the numbers are fairly dark and dont really have that nice 'glow' of the ZF markers. I'm still hoping they'll fade and get there over time.

Has anyone here handled a 2022 production black BB58? I'd like to know if other people have the same experience with the newer gen inserts. The watch still looks phenomenal, and I cant stop looking at it, but I cant help but think about how much better it'd look if the bezel insert markings were more radiant, whether it'd be less accurate to gen or not.

Reactions: iamxd