• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Black Bay 58

f4bi4n

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/12/22
G
I have seen a post somewhere in the forum where it as confirmed. Try the search & and I will do it, also.
The ZF Bracelet is OK, haven't found anything better when mine broke.
here you go

Big Beetle

Horology Curious
24/10/20
I’ve got a genuine black BB58 and the ZF rep in blue. The bracelets are al
OST indistinguishable from one another and can be swapped over. Fit is perfect.

Teamjlf

I'm Pretty Popular
9/9/19
Replica oblivion…
I’ve got a genuine black BB58 and the ZF rep in blue. The bracelets are al
OST indistinguishable from one another and can be swapped over. Fit is perfect.
What about the clasps ? On my ZF BB all steel, the bracelet is amazing the but the clasp is pretty ordinary and lacking that tactile “click” feel on engagement. It works fine but the execution is 7/10.

GMT+9Tokyo

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/1/20
Germany
It's astonishing to me how one of the most popular watches in the watch word, still does not have a good replica. I mean, the ZF V2 was okay when it was released, but after so many years, how can it still be the best on the market?

Adam_Smith

Supporter
Certified
23/6/20
It's astonishing to me how one of the most popular watches in the watch word, still does not have a good replica. I mean, the ZF V2 was okay when it was released, but after so many years, how can it still be the best on the market?
What significant room for improvement do you think exists in ZF's BB58 Rep?

Oeilvert

Certified
20/1/22
UK
What significant room for improvement do you think exists in ZF's BB58 Rep?
Rep dial is too smooth, gen has a distinct grainy texture.
Rep dial text is too flat, gen is noticeably raised.
Rep bezel lume pip is wrong (not seen anyone else mention it but is obvious to me.)
Rep has ghost date position.
Rep has milky crystal gasket.

All relatively minor tells but anyone familiar with a Black Bay will spot it a mile away. Still a fun rep... I wore one for 9+ months before I got bored.

Adam_Smith

Supporter
Certified
23/6/20
Rep dial is too smooth, gen has a distinct grainy texture.
Rep dial text is too flat, gen is noticeably raised.
Rep bezel lume pip is wrong (not seen anyone else mention it but is obvious to me.)
Rep has ghost date position.
Rep has milky crystal gasket.

All relatively minor tells but anyone familiar with a Black Bay will spot it a mile away. Still a fun rep... I wore one for 9+ months before I got bored.
Does all this happen in both versions? I'm considering pulling the trigger on the blue version.

Oeilvert

Certified
20/1/22
UK
Does all this happen in both versions? I'm considering pulling the trigger on the blue version.
Yep, see here:

Gen is on the left, rep on the right.

Different shade of blue, wrong lume pip, milky gasket around edge of crystal... For me it's an obvious rep therefore I will not wear it, many people don't care and just enjoy (y)

Reactions: fra44 and Caril

Adam_Smith

Supporter
Certified
23/6/20

Teamjlf

I'm Pretty Popular
9/9/19
Replica oblivion…
Yep, see here:

Gen is on the left, rep on the right.

Different shade of blue, wrong lume pip, milky gasket around edge of crystal... For me it's an obvious rep therefore I will not wear it, many people don't care and just enjoy (y)
Many of these also have dial shift. You’ll notice the dial is shifted downwards and it obscures the “Swiss made” at 6’oclock. Follow the minute track around the dial and you’ll see the gap between dial minute track and case get smaller as you head down towards the bottom of the dial. Swiss made text is almost hidden.

Reactions: Oeilvert

Philio

Looking Around
28/10/23
I have a blue BB58 on its way, I had a few questions.
1. Is it worth getting it looked at by a watchmaker to clean and lubricate?
2. At the same time pressure test? I won't take it diving but would like to know I could take it in a pool
3. Any info where to get a replacement crystal or what size to buy? I can't find any info online

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
I have a blue BB58 on its way, I had a few questions.
1. Is it worth getting it looked at by a watchmaker to clean and lubricate?
2. At the same time pressure test? I won't take it diving but would like to know I could take it in a pool
3. Any info where to get a replacement crystal or what size to buy? I can't find any info online
To succinctly answer your questions:
1. Only if there is an issue is my advice
2. If you plan on swimming with it you may consider having it pressure tested. Most are fine out of the box, but to be sure it's recommended
3. Why would you want to replace the crystal?

Reactions: Feefo and Philio

Philio

Looking Around
28/10/23
I'm clumsy..don't have a great track record when it comes to clean crystals..lol

blitzx005

Horology Curious
14/3/23
China
anyways just sharing some info of my mods i done to this ZF BB58 as I've seen many are sharing their ideas and wonderful works here regarding BB58. So I would like to share some of mine too to contribute ~

1. Purchased original case tube - screw crown from ZF works flawlessly when screw into Gen Case tube, but GEN case tube threads are wider than the case hole itself. Needs to widen the case hole to fit the Gen Case tube. So with a little bit of modding done - it went perfectly fine.
(Crown no longer protrudes too long - crown tube img)

2. Dial - ZF dial is too smooth and plain , unlike Gen BB58 with textured dial. So I just covered the indicies as much as i can then sprayed matte spray paint over the dial in super thin misty layers resulting in textured dial
(I tested it over some other spare seiko dials before working on the actual thing =P )

3. Swapped the internal movement from 2824 to 2892. The Lever spring is easier to mod with a file so ghost date is removed + smoother hand winding experience. Also, 2892's returning to position 1 is more responsive and less likely to jam up the keylessworks (Maybe I'm bad at modding 2824?)

4. I own a Gen Pelagos 39, fell inlove with the T fit clasp, so purchased a rep Rolex braclet with microadjust , hack + saw + drilled and mod the single end half links to fit BB58's endlinks and tada! now it works perfectly lol ..
(Braclet img)

So ... overall I think ZF base is not too bad, with a little elbow grease the rep can look closer to Gen haha ..
Feel free to PM me if you wanna do similar mods , I can share some experience lol .. Sorry for the long thread , just am super thankful that I'm able to join in this wonderful group ~

p16NbS.jpg
Mf0wK3.jpg
XEtYg4.jpg
2k4cbc.jpg
pnbNqXcBj
pnRW0zMSj
poSIGx4Ij

EM9

Watch Acquisition Disorder
Supporter
Certified
7/8/18
28.3772° N, 81.5707° W
What about the clasps ? On my ZF BB all steel, the bracelet is amazing the but the clasp is pretty ordinary and lacking that tactile “click” feel on engagement. It works fine but the execution is 7/10.
This is the only thing I really notice between rep & gen is the clasp snap.