• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Big price jump on reps?

doctorron

I'm Pretty Popular
5/3/07
Sub4me, you crack me up. I really like you and Pug. I often speak directly with colorful language in person. But of coarse always polite. I find my posts are super polite though.... anyway blah blah blah.

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
I always reply in kind to those who are respectful as well as enjoy conversations with many members. But some guys just rub you wrong, oh well thats life.

amptor

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/5/07
sub4me said:
Cool amptor I'm glad you understand. Its the way things are I suppose, don't get me wrong some of the reps are great. But its the guys that go into this thinking their great quality watches that are mistaken. Sure you can get a nice one, I certainly have no doubt. But did I get a quality one?? No I think not, its just the nature of the rep world to not have quality goods thats how they make money. Just look at the toy recall from China, is there any place else in the world that still uses lead paint?? Of course not. But do you know why they do?? Cause it cheap thats why. Anywhere to cut a corner, thats a fact.

Time of the month lol, pugs a duche. Don't forget pugs is the guy who was jumping up and down all about the sapphire thing a while back with his littlew white lies post, remember?? Suddenly its all real saphire, who's ass do you think he's kissing?? Pucker up pugs I smell Neil.

Yeah I came to this point months ago when I was thinking about airking look-alikes on ebay and thinking wait a minute...... is the airking I have the same thing as an Alpha airking on ebay? it probably is..the alpha airking on ebay looks like a turd though, I'm not sure what is with all that. However the crown on mine doesn't fasten down and it's been about 2 years and I can't find any way to repair that lol.

Well speaking about a part of a country where no such thing as an organization like OSHA even exists, of course you arne't going to have any quality control. I am amazed at how some pieces come out though and it seems like lately most of the ETA are bone stock brand new might even be assembled in Sweden, who knows. All I know is they work better than the other ETA movements I own, just as far as how long it takes to wind them up and how smooth the sweep looks.

Yeah lead paint..that reminds me, some places just dig up any old stock they can find and use that up. So those toy factories might not have even had to pay a red cent for the paint to begin with. Lead hmm... what a shame, does that country have any dignity? They're been looked at through a microscope now ever since the whole pet food fiasco and now they are sending poisonous materials to children in other countries. I understand that their children have been exposed to poison, but it doesn't make it right to ship toys out and poison other peoples. I am all AGAINST sending hazardous materials to China and I make sure that I don't contribute to that. But these days, Evergreen and other places are not allowed to just dump toxic stuff in China any more.. I really had no control over that stuff, just found out about it after the EPA put a stop to it all.

Hmm Neil sounds familiar... I don't recall ever ordering from that guy though. There was one site on RWG that people were warning about the guy sending faulty movements and movements with parts intentionally unscrewed inside the case to jitter around during shipping or sometimes even missing part of the winding mechanism. Not sure if it was that guy or what, it's been a long time.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
Anyway, to get back on topic after our fun diversion, IMHO, the replicas at the higher end of the market (even the ones that don't qualify as super-reps) are as good as any other watches at that price.

A decent Ultimate Planet Ocean stands up to all but a cut-price Seiko Monster.

amptor

Banned
1/5/07
I doubt the lume markers ever fall off of the gen seiko though :lol:

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
Yea thats the thing it frustrating to get a rep and shit like that happens. I really have nothing against reps I've liked many of them but after the same things keep happening you sick of it and fustrated, its a coin toss and I'm tired with it.

Good news me and pugs made up ahhhhhhh how sweet right?? I keep my potty mouth closed and he doesn't atttack me. See we can all live in bliss. :D Yes I'm serious now don't start stirring shit guys this arguing gets tiring. Seriously I even went back and cleaned up my potty mouth posts towards pug, see I ain't so bad. :D

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
sub4me said:
Good news me and pugs made up ahhhhhhh how sweet right?? I keep my potty mouth closed and he doesn't atttack me. See we can all live in bliss. :D Yes I'm serious now don't start stirring shit guys this arguing gets tiring. Seriously I even went back and cleaned up my potty mouth posts towards pug, see I ain't so bad. :D
Life is too short and I've got too many scars from past battles to want to start new ones. Sorry if you all found the Pug/Sub saga entertaining, but we're too decent to drag it out merely for your entertainment.

8)

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
Anyhow I got some tits to fuck, boose to drink, and cigarettes to smoke. 8)

Ok so I'm still a potty mouth, F it. LOL

amptor

Banned
1/5/07
sub4me said:
Yea thats the thing it frustrating to get a rep and shit like that happens. I really have nothing against reps I've liked many of them but after the same things keep happening you sick of it and fustrated, its a coin toss and I'm tired with it.

well problems with these 'ultimate' PO are so consistent though from member to member I see posting and who knows how many have markers fall off the dial who do not post? At least the rest of the watch is solid....I think.... the problems with fastening the clasp are the least of anyone's worry imho, simple fix. I see many more people modding this thing with gen parts than usual for omegas. But all you end up with is a replica watch with some parts in it that don't belong there :)

D

d4m.test

WackoBirdKeeper said:
jiro said:
probably cuz of the ETA price raise???

Definitely because of the rising prices of movements. Remember that ETA will stop supplying movements in 2010.

Swatch Group will continue delivery of “ébauchesâ€

doctorron

I'm Pretty Popular
5/3/07
You know I have no problem paying $300 (I have many times) for a rep if it has some quality control. Things happen. Its a long trip from China, but someone should check them. Over $300 it should need no mods nor service upon arrival.

evilgenius88

Plotting world domination
Supporter
Certified
11/4/07
Volcano Base
uppoo said:
Em...are you 100% sure that the rep qualities are very similar from different dealer?

I'll have to explain my thoughts a bit better: I'm talking about popular watches, mostly new releases, which are virtually the same everywhere. Let's talk a Seamaster Professional, HBB, Montblanc Timewalker, TAG Carrera, IWC Cousteau... those models are usually made by the one and the same factory and god knows how end up in the dealers' hands, but are, in most cases, the same thing.

The price difference on those between a few well known, high service dealers and others has, as far as my observations go, become obviously large.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
doctorron said:
You know I have no problem paying $300 (I have many times) for a rep if it has some quality control. Things happen. Its a long trip from China, but someone should check them. Over $300 it should need no mods nor service upon arrival.

Ditto Doc!

I agree to pay extra for quality and QC. For $300.00 plus, it better be good enough without the need for mods.

evilgenius88

Plotting world domination
Supporter
Certified
11/4/07
Volcano Base
R2D4 said:
I agree to pay extra for quality and QC. For $300.00 plus, it better be good enough without the need for mods.

Have to second that. If I'd have to choose between a 400 dollar rep with a good movement that has been checked and all the details are correct and a 100 dollar rep which has crucial details wrong or missing and no QC, i'd splash out the extra cash. That's why I do believe that the recent pricing of the Cousteau has been correct, as the watch is very, very close to a gen.

amptor

Banned
1/5/07
marinlicina said:
uppoo said:
Em...are you 100% sure that the rep qualities are very similar from different dealer?

I'll have to explain my thoughts a bit better: I'm talking about popular watches, mostly new releases, which are virtually the same everywhere. Let's talk a Seamaster Professional, HBB, Montblanc Timewalker, TAG Carrera, IWC Cousteau... those models are usually made by the one and the same factory and god knows how end up in the dealers' hands, but are, in most cases, the same thing.

The price difference on those between a few well known, high service dealers and others has, as far as my observations go, become obviously large.

I believe it is possible that some of the watch dealers may even work for the factory that makes the watch. Just one of the job positions.

doctorron

I'm Pretty Popular
5/3/07
You know Marinlicina, I've gotten very good $100 reps with very good Chinese movements. I've bought more expensive watches that were for shit. I've bought $35 reps in Chinatown, NYC that still work and run well after 2 years. You just never know. I sometimes wonder if maybe $100 should be the most we are willing to spend.

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
doctorron said:
You know Marinlicina, I've gotten very good $100 reps with very good Chinese movements. I've bought more expensive watches that were for shit. I've bought $35 reps in Chinatown, NYC that still work and run well after 2 years. You just never know. I sometimes wonder if maybe $100 should be the most we are willing to spend.

Agree, I see no reason to go any farther then WBK.