• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Big price jump on reps?

willster

Renowned Member
15/3/06
:shock: ooopps....looks like I'm about to get caught in a cross fire here.......time to duck behind a rock

amptor

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/5/07
I saw that invica at jc penney (which just by seeing that brand carried there doesn't really overly impress me, though I was amazed that they carry seiko). Anyway, it looked like a very over priced poor 16613 knockoff. And I see in that photo that they didn't plate the back of the midlinks hmmm... I think I'd just stick to the replica submariner.

Yeah I believe there is some cartelling involved, and anyone that knows me knows that I dislike cartelling.. it pretty much gets me to buy a lot less or completely stop buying a product. Also I noticed jos-nana's site looks like an old site that everyone said to avoid. I keep forgetting what the site name was. Well it possibly could be someone else, who knows. But yeah they are definitely two different guys. I see this happen a lot for some reason with business in China. Two guys become friends in high school, start a business, then split up and stay friends and have two separate businesses. I'm not sure why that happens. I would think there would be a lot of competition.

And lying? I don't know, a lot of truth is out there about the 42.5mm PO and the 45mm PO, who makes it, limited quantities and all. But the fact is, the dials of these two watches and their variants have problems ranging from incorrect font (some) to incorrect omega logo (all) to lume markers falling off the dial (all.) So it is somewhat of a pricey watch in some respects but overall the watch is very stunning.

Mekki

Fake Lover
Supporter
Certified
6/8/07
EU
Prices high ? I think they are fair, if i see that a vaccum wants round about 300 Dollar for reluming ect....I can buy a whole watch for that. Where is the contrast ? This handwork for 300 Dollar......Some people are going to pay this so the same with the reps.

They see that they can earn more, its not important if they sell 3 watches to lower prices just sell 2 watches for a high price.....

Just look about pug or TTK how arrogant they are...you dont get a watch from me after this post ect.....Fuck off its a business and you need the customers, we need you. Simple, so dont think you can rise the price every day (Josh/Andrew)......

But as customer it must be clear that you want a rep thats close to gen, for that you have to pay more than 200 US DOLLAR.....

Regards

D

d4m.test

Just look about pug or TTK how arrogant they are...you dont get a watch from me after this post ect..

Where did you come from......oh don't answer....the Maternity Hopsital trashcan......!
asshat.jpg

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
pugwash said:
sub4me said:
Reps are fun for collecting but in no way are they legit watches. Most of us get that, some don't.
Same old pottymouth Sub4me, entering his brain into fights above its weight. I feel I should add a "blah blah, woof woof" here, but I'm not sure I can be bothered. :roll:

Replicas at the cheaper end should be considered disposable fun, but when you see watches the quality of the UPO, the Steelfish and the 3717, you can tell that these are as good as any genuine watch within the same price range and higher even.

Potty mouth, LOL. How can there be any such thing as a quality rep its an oxy moron.

Neil I sure ain't buying from you (and never would) I established that back on day one after reading all the unsatisfied customers you have. I beleive theres a few guys here still looking for the watch you supposedly sent them months ago, LOL.

No QC?? well Neil you you fit into that catergory yourself if your checking so closley why the returns?? You claim to be Mr. inspector but still miss things like crooked cyclops, wobbly crowns, very badly aligned date wheels. Yea your Mr. inspector alright. Listen up, your bulk sales are the cheapo noobmariners big fucking deal I can buy that shit in downtown any town. Your talking about returns who the fuck sends back a cheapo watch after it breaks?? No one, well most don't they through it away, so don't pat yourself to hard.

No Asian movements made in a third world basment is gonna be quality, are seriously that stupid?? I ain't saying they don't work but is it quality?? NO. Neil are you really under the impression the reps factories use quality SS?? I'm sure they would never consider something say CHEAPER to make few extra bucks. This board has been over and over the sapphire thing so you know WTF I mean.

amptor, so what you went to JcPenney their all knocks offs.:) But the point being is at least your getting a warranty, 200M of real water resistance, real 316L SS and so on. Get it??

southcoast68

Known Member
27/4/06
Ok, that last pic TTK put up almost made me fall out my chair laughing.

As far as my own personal solution to rising prices?
1. Buy 'em used from other members who don't want them any more.
2. Practice my own skills on working with watches and fix the outstanding issues myself (hey, I can do that, this is a hobby after all :p ).
3. If I do have a hankerin' for a new rep, I will be VERY selective about which one and who I get it from, and when it developes an issue, I deal with it.

There is no such animal as a cheap hobby ladies and gentlemen and that is why we are here, to participate in a hobby. If you want a cheap rep, back to Canal St. you go for a nice Quartz model. As far as quality issues, well, for anyone here who has done restoration to a classic automobile can attest to, its no different there. Quite a few times I have bought the "correct quality reproduction part" for big money only to have it fail a year later. Besides, I don't drink, smoke or gamble, so I gotta spend my mad money on something. :lol:

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
Mekki said:
Just look about pug or TTK how arrogant they are...
I'm arrogant because I'm usually right. You'll get used to it. :D

(See? Arrogant!)

evilgenius88

Plotting world domination
Supporter
Certified
11/4/07
Volcano Base
My hoobies is: table tennis, disco dance, sunbathe, and buy authentic genuine replika waatch. Niceee!!!

But really, the price hike has been happening and it's slowly been creeping onto Andrew/Trusty's site. First, I thought I just wrongly remembered some watches being 250, while now the site said they were 280, but as it turned out, the price of some existing models has been pushed up. And of course, the price difference between Andrew and, let's say, Ruby on some new models is starting to become pretty big.

I like Andrew and love his service and great web-site, but for me, cheaper dealers that (in the end) deliver the same thing, like Ruby, have become impossible to ignore.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
anyone notice too how the price of milk has gone up? :shock: :) :D :lol:

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
Is River still selling reps? Right about now would be the time to try River, Silix, etc.

dadog13

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
15/3/06

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
dadog13 said:
c'mon guys...why can't you have one discussion without saying ugly words to each other...we are all grown men...(maybe that's the problem!!!)...
But it's funny! :roll:

uppoo

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/8/07
My hoobies is: table tennis, disco dance, sunbathe, and buy authentic genuine replika waatch. Niceee!!!

But really, the price hike has been happening and it's slowly been creeping onto Andrew/Trusty's site. First, I thought I just wrongly remembered some watches being 250, while now the site said they were 280, but as it turned out, the price of some existing models has been pushed up. And of course, the price difference between Andrew and, let's say, Ruby on some new models is starting to become pretty big.

I like Andrew and love his service and great web-site, but for me, cheaper dealers that (in the end) deliver the same thing, like Ruby, have become impossible to ignore.

Em...are you 100% sure that the rep qualities are very similar from different dealer? Please provide Pictures if possible. Because from what I read from this forum, some brands like Rolex or IWC maybe similar among dealers (even the $ is very) but brand like Panerai is comparable btw dealers e.g. Andrew v.s Davidsen or TWP.
Can anyone verify this?
P.S. When I lived in H.K years ago. Almost the either rep market is controlled by certain local mafia (sorry can’t “NAMEDâ€

amptor

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/5/07
sub4me said:
pugwash said:
sub4me said:
Reps are fun for collecting but in no way are they legit watches. Most of us get that, some don't.
Same old pottymouth Sub4me, entering his brain into fights above its weight. I feel I should add a "blah blah, woof woof" here, but I'm not sure I can be bothered. :roll:

Replicas at the cheaper end should be considered disposable fun, but when you see watches the quality of the UPO, the Steelfish and the 3717, you can tell that these are as good as any genuine watch within the same price range and higher even.

amptor, so what you went to JcPenney their all knocks offs.:) But the point being is at least your getting a warranty, 200M of real water resistance, real 316L SS and so on. Get it??

Yeah I see your point also you can say that Seiko is a rolex knockoff as well. Most of their models are patterened after rolex, even the one I got from ebay looks like a flat Japan version of a 16610 :) But I like it because it is a real watch and I probably won't ever buy a replica of a 16610 submariner due to that. Even though I did buy a 16613 but that's a different watch to me. Well I'm sure I could get a comperably priced Seiko with 200M water resistance.. Some of the Invica look nice but that's kinda what reps are for...then again, i've seen members of this forum getting shit quality knockoff omega 300M lately and I don't understand why that is. People have been buying them fine on these boards for at least a couple years up til lately.

davebs

Known Member
2/8/07
I'm pretty much a total noob, but I've been lurking on some of the forums for a while. I'm a little bit confused though. A lot of posts on these forums talk about a lot of these watches being pretty close to the real thing and the reliability at least being pretty good. While it may not keep perfect time, it seems like it would be reasonable to expect them to not be off more than 5 secs a week or so. Also, it seems like there is some effort to differentiate a replica from a fake as in a replica sounds better somehow and is supposed to be very close to the original while a fake is something you buy from a guy downtown who's also selling hats and fake oakleys. So which is it? Are the watches offered by the various vendors on the forums shitty knock offs that stop after a week at which point the buyer is on their own (but hey, it's a fake so who cares), or is it reasonable to expect 300 dollars to get you a stainless steel watch that keeps the time, will last a couple years, and looks good too? Or is it both?

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
alright so nobody drinks milk or eats ice cream but remember there is still a watch boom going on. Consider that Richemont who owns a lot of the watch companies that we buy reps of had a 12% increase in total sales. That amounts to 4.8 billion euros or $6.4 billion dollars, a net profit increase of 21% which is 1.7 billion dollars. Well.. does anyone know what the net profits of the rep industry was last year? Anyone care to take a guess?

Seemingly everyone is riding the wave in the watch world and playing devil's advocate but who is to say that the rep industry should not enjoy a piece of the pie, of course not a real pie, a fake pie... You know, pie goes really good with an ice cold glass of milk. :D

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
davebs said:
Are the watches offered by the various vendors on the forums shitty knock offs that stop after a week at which point the buyer is on their own (but hey, it's a fake so who cares), or is it reasonable to expect 300 dollars to get you a stainless steel watch that keeps the time, will last a couple years, and looks good too? Or is it both?
It depends who you ask and where on their cycle certain members are that month. :roll:

A good replica will be within 2-5 seconds a day, not a week, and even that's hopeful, but you can adjust them for more accuracy if you care. I've had my first rep for over 18 months and it still works as well as it did back then. Same with the second, third, etc., so yes, you're getting a stainless steel watch with a sapphire crystal and in some cases the exact same movement inside.

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
Cool amptor I'm glad you understand. Its the way things are I suppose, don't get me wrong some of the reps are great. But its the guys that go into this thinking their great quality watches that are mistaken. Sure you can get a nice one, I certainly have no doubt. But did I get a quality one?? No I think not, its just the nature of the rep world to not have quality goods thats how they make money. Just look at the toy recall from China, is there any place else in the world that still uses lead paint?? Of course not. But do you know why they do?? Cause it cheap thats why. Anywhere to cut a corner, thats a fact.

Time of the month lol. Don't forget pugs is the guy who was jumping up and down all about the sapphire thing a while back with his littlew white lies post, remember?? Suddenly its all real saphire, who's ass do you think he's kissing?? Pucker up pugs I smell Neil.

doctorron

I'm Pretty Popular
5/3/07
Hey Davebs. You make some good points. I think the problem with rep quality is you never know what you will get. Perhaps very good watches or very bad watches. No QC. However, I recently bought a real Movado, brand new from a legit dealer. It didn't work and I was not treated well by the legit dealer or Movado. Conversely, I bought a $200 rep from Trusty that wasn't working fresh out the box and Andrew was willing to 1) replace the watch; 2) fix the watch ; or 3) give me free shipping on my next order. A $50 lub job fixed the watch. I took the free shipping.