• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

BBR factory RM 055

bpbp

Renowned Member
14/12/13
USA
Mine is just shipped, but jtime tell me it's gonna take 4~5 weeks? Do anyone know why it's take so long?

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
Asovo probably to set your expectations in case it takes a while. Last Xmas season when there was that huge slowdown followed by CNY there were tons of people whining cause shipping took forever. Mine shipped about ten days ago and just got to NY yesterday. I'm guessing it'll be in my possession Friday or Saturday and I see no reason why yours would take much longer!

Reactions: bpbp

bpbp

Renowned Member
14/12/13
USA
Asovo probably to set your expectations in case it takes a while. Last Xmas season when there was that huge slowdown followed by CNY there were tons of people whining cause shipping took forever. Mine shipped about ten days ago and just got to NY yesterday. I'm guessing it'll be in my possession Friday or Saturday and I see no reason why yours would take much longer!

Did your tracking number is ems start with A and CN on the end?

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
Asovo yes, same. My provider says China Post but I believe that and EMS are basically the same thing

biwo5_7

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/6/17
still waiting for QC, placed my order on july 1st and nothing still, just saying factory has not released yet and they will check again , got mine from the one watches

TheDonSL

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/12/13
Friend of mine just got the black ceramic in hand. He said the movement is terrible, stuttering seconds hand it stopped twice already. Crystal is canal street omega style rep.

2 thumbs down and not worth modding in his opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: greenbeans and bpbp

bpbp

Renowned Member
14/12/13
USA
Friend of mine just got the black ceramic in hand. He said the movement is terrible, stuttering seconds hand it stopped twice already. Crystal is canal street omega style rep.

Thanks for share , when i got qci notice that is bad rep too.
I think BBR need get better.

vetteshark

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/6/22
Colorado, USA
Mine shipped on July 14th and is still in-transit. It is in the USA but hasn't been handed off to USPS yet so I am expecting no more than 1 more week for arrival.

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
Thanks, mine are still showing being prepared only at Shanghai? Was your shiped from Shanghai too?

mine shipped from Dongguan -> HK -> US, arrived at my local distribution hub last night and should be in-hand today or tomorrow. It did sit at the shipping hub in DG for a while though.

Mercedesslr

Supporter
Certified
2/12/19

Did he happen to share any picture or videos of it?

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
I received mine today! Haven't taken pics yet because I just unboxed it, but first impressions are great. It's nice and hefty, the ceramic is well done and has a nice matte finish. Mine is the one with the ding at 1:00 upthread, in real life it's about the size of a pinhead and I had to look hard to see it even knowing it was there. I don't find it bothersome and I'm assuming it got through their supplier's QC too.

It's comparable to the ZF in terms of overall feel, although to me it feels "larger" not so much in dimension but in presence. I think the crystal and case are marginally wider than the ZF (explains why all the photos we've seen of the BBR movement in the ZF cases have it crammed the fuck in there and the right side is overlapped by the indices) and it feels like a bigger watch although side-by-side in hand they're practically identical in terms of overall dimensions. The BBR is wider and a tiny bit taller and is ever so slightly thicker, but close enough that it's actually kinda hard to tell without setting up a stand or measuring.

All the fuss about the crystal is overblown; the AR *is* lacking and it's not the correct purple/blue like ZF but it's hardly shitter territory and I find it well within acceptable margins. My ZF RM35 v1 has similar AR, although minus the slight blue shade of the ZF. The second hand is HILARIOUSLY jumpy, though, and although I haven't wound it fully it's pretty bad at low amplitude. Winding feels fine, not gritty or mealy but there's a little resistance which I actually like. The crown clicks in and out well and feels solid, and the hands set well, with no bumps or areas of increased resistance.

The movement is impressive, although finishing isn't the best I've ever seen (some of the graining on the brushing is a teeny bit coarse) but it appears to work well and the skeletonization is cool. You can see the balance spinning, the escapement clicking around the escape wheel, and the keyless moving when you set the hands or change positions. It doesn't appear to hack alhough there is a separate hacking lever represented on the movement, and it could be just deco.

Overall, just-unboxed impressions are a light 8/10. I'm very happy with it and despite the flaws (the second hand may be a dealbreaker for some people but as long as it doesn't affect timekeeping I don't mind, and it can probably be tweaked by a competent watchsmith) it's a tremendous step forward for RM reps. We'll see what the power reserve and reliability are, as well as whether the second hand can be tweaked, but coming out of the box it's pretty damn impressive. It also comes with a fake (cheap) cardstock "RM" warranty card which is so, so, so bad that it made me laugh, which I consider a plus because comedy.

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
Great first impressions review thank you! Of course please post pictures and videos at your leisure.

Swiss_goupil

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/12/19
Last Kingdom
[mention]GiantSquid [/mention] thank you for this real in-hand review and feel. All those comments based on pictures and videos are so annoying. Lots of noise for not much.

I think 8/10 is really good for a v1 and let’s keep in mind it is a cheaper proposition compare to ZF (I bet the ZF using this movement will be around the 800$ mark)

Reactions: Mercedesslr

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
Welcome back everyone! Missed y'all but here's an update to my original review above after wearing it for 4 days straight. Power reserve is on the low end (40 winds gets me ~20 hrs, 50 winds gets me 30 hrs), but that could be due to the winding gearing. I'm not sure, but my daily routine has been winding 50 times in the morning and it's kept going strong. Mine keeps absolutely perfect time, however the seconds hand is still AWFUL. I cannot stress this enough, the seconds hand will pause and jump around at random (while always moving clockwise) due to the friction spring holding the pinion being loose. This can be an easy but incredibly fiddly fix, and with this new movement it remains to be seen whether a watchmaker will tear it down to tweak it. Other than that, the clasp is inferior to ZF. It feels a little lighter and the spring action isn't as nice, however it holds just fine and is well-machined. It could be titanium (accounting for the weight difference) but the action isn't as nice as ZF. Build quality otherwise is well done, screws were tight from the factory and the case fits together very well. After four days on wrist I'd downgrade it from an 8/10 to a 7.5/10 just for the clasp feel and the absurd seconds hand, but as our first "clone" movement RM it's great. I hope some of y'all got yours during the upgrade outage, and I'd love to hear your impressions of your specific watch!

Mercedesslr

Supporter
Certified
2/12/19
Welcome back everyone! Missed y'all but here's an update to my original review above after wearing it for 4 days straight. Power reserve is on the low end (40 winds gets me ~20 hrs, 50 winds gets me 30 hrs), but that could be due to the winding gearing. I'm not sure, but my daily routine has been winding 50 times in the morning and it's kept going strong. Mine keeps absolutely perfect time, however the seconds hand is still AWFUL. I cannot stress this enough, the seconds hand will pause and jump around at random (while always moving clockwise) due to the friction spring holding the pinion being loose. This can be an easy but incredibly fiddly fix, and with this new movement it remains to be seen whether a watchmaker will tear it down to tweak it. Other than that, the clasp is inferior to ZF. It feels a little lighter and the spring action isn't as nice, however it holds just fine and is well-machined. It could be titanium (accounting for the weight difference) but the action isn't as nice as ZF. Build quality otherwise is well done, screws were tight from the factory and the case fits together very well. After four days on wrist I'd downgrade it from an 8/10 to a 7.5/10 just for the clasp feel and the absurd seconds hand, but as our first "clone" movement RM it's great. I hope some of y'all got yours during the upgrade outage, and I'd love to hear your impressions of your specific watch!
Hello there its soo good to be back though its a odd new fromat to get use to lol. Im surprised to see it get that high for a V1; was expecting around 4.5-5 for first attempt. How does the ceramic feel in person? Does it feel like a cheap layer or like they put effort into it?

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
Hello there its soo good to be back though its a odd new fromat to get use to lol. Im surprised to see it get that high for a V1; was expecting around 4.5-5 for first attempt. How does the ceramic feel in person? Does it feel like a cheap layer or like they put effort into it?
Ceramic feels great, it's silky smooth but still has the matte look and feel. Compared to my ZF it's roughly the same, maybe a little bit more matte but that's hard to tell comparing white to black. There's less "texture" to the ceramic than on the ZF, but again it's hard to precisely compare the white and black ceramic mixes. Aside from the movement issues with the seconds hand this is a well-built watch, it feels solid and like attention was paid to it during the build. It actually feels more substantial than my ZF, which always felt somewhat dainty and much more breakable on wrist for some reason. The AR isn't the best, but it does have the blue tinge albeit only in indirect light. There are definite improvements they could make for v2 (QC on the movements so that the friction springs are tighter, improved clasp, better AR) but I think it's great for a first effort besides the second hand. For me, personally, I don't like the jumpiness but it's kinda grown on me and seems quirky instead of annoying and since it doesn't affect the timekeeping (and this is a v1) I don't really mind, however I can see how for others it'd be a dealbreaker straight up and would affect someone else's rating more than mine. I'm happy with it, especially for $600 shipped, but am very much looking forward to the future iterations of it.

Reactions: Mercedesslr

asuwere

2/6/19
BBR has always had a problem with the clasps on their RD's that they never seemed to fix. Based on that, I'm not expecting them to fix it in V2.

bpbp

Renowned Member
14/12/13
USA
BBR has always had a problem with the clasps on their RD's that they never seemed to fix. Based on that, I'm not expecting them to fix it in V2.
I know BBR RD tourbillon has been v4 already? Lol
Hope BBR will make better on rm055 v2 or v3...lol