• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Back to Rep after years of Gen

shinynewbling25

aprilia
29/1/15
Where your daughter is
I like reps because I don't buy in to the whole smoke and mirrors luxury watch industry. Sure I have some decent gens but they don't make reps of any of those (I would probably buy both if they did but then I don't know what I'd do. If I had a sentimental attachment to the gen I would probably keep both or if not sell the gen). I'm on WUS but some of those people hold watches in such high regard and think they're the most amazing, complicated marvels and mechanical art. History too. They think it was some dude happily whittling a watch into existence in a Swiss cabin. They were corporations back then trying to make money just like now. For me Mr. FP Journe himself needs to stop contracting out some manufacture and sit his ass down himself and fabricate from scratch me a watch for me to pay 50k. That's good car money. Do you know how complex and how many different systems a car has and if it malfunctions you could actually die? Double that and you have house money. A watch? Oh it broke. Let me just put it in a drawer and look at my phone. Mechanical art to me is one off MB&F micro engineering exercizes.

Look at some of the terms used to make it sound so amazing. Company has a history of watchmaking. Watchmaking? Sounds so fluff. Manufacture movement? Oh you mean subsidiary company you bought with machine made computer simulation built movements? Eh. So much fluff and bs to tug at peoples emotions and you'll never get the industry to compete and put their movements up against others. That would just put on display the bs of all their so called innovations claims when an ETA 2824 designed in what the 60's can do the same thing.

Sooooo I'm in to reps and won't leave reps because you know what you're getting and it's not filled with so much pretentiousness. There's far less of that with reps. I have so much of a better time here than the crap I see on WUS a lot of the times. Still enjoy WUS but it's seems to have gotten worse over the years. The gen industry I imagine them looking at me with predator eyes just waiting for me drop the soap.

aceofpain

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
Certified
30/12/14
Germany
This threat confirmed my views. I know the whole game from the auto industry. Luxury brands are only sold because of their legendary reputation. But behind the scenes I have no real interest in delivering or offering the customer quality.

Chris8535

Known Member
29/3/16
I had been buying gens for a while, mostly Tudor, Omega, and I got an A Lange & Sohne for my wife all gen. The Tudor gmt was cheap and the Lange is not reppable so thus the choice.

However recently I got a white ceramic AP offshore and the quality blew me away. It was just off the charts and the movement was perfect. If I could get more at that near perfect level I will probably never buy a gen again. The problem is maybe only the Patek 5712, some Rolexes and some Offshores are that perfect.

Beyond that I won’t even wear a Rolex rep anymore. I literally want nothing to do with the brand or the people that buy them anymore. The brand is almost a signal that you are a tool to me now.

Reactions: PlastikMan

rolexianer

Known Member
3/12/23
Germany
If I read here I feel same as many of you obviously. I was collecting mainly Rolex for 15+ years but what brought me here was all the blabla from Patek about 6 to 8 years waiting for a SS Aquanaut for 50k and that it would help to buy jewelry to establish a relationship…

mac427

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/1/23
texas
I had been buying gens for a while, mostly Tudor, Omega, and I got an A Lange & Sohne for my wife all gen. The Tudor gmt was cheap and the Lange is not reppable so thus the choice.

However recently I got a white ceramic AP offshore and the quality blew me away. It was just off the charts and the movement was perfect. If I could get more at that near perfect level I will probably never buy a gen again. The problem is maybe only the Patek 5712, some Rolexes and some Offshores are that perfect.

Beyond that I won’t even wear a Rolex rep anymore. I literally want nothing to do with the brand or the people that buy them anymore. The brand is almost a signal that you are a tool to me now.

g00n

Cunning linguist & Master debater
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
1/9/16
Get Out Theatre GIF by Tony Awards
🤪

_guma

Horology Curious
4/12/23
This is super interesting to me. I'd like to buy a gen and was drawn to reps as a way of taking the model I wanted for a spin. I've been so impressed by the quality of the watch I received I'm now worried I will find owning a gen disappointing.
That is an intresting point. I was on a hunt for a tudor bb 36 couple of years ago. I loved the design and the heritage and all that, but when I went to an AD and held the watch in hands I discovered that its just a "watch"... Nothing outstanding. Nothing particular about the finishing that i thought i saw on the renders, nor the movement on that matter (previous generation wirh ETA mov). It was just the watch... And they were charging 2300£ for it ( at the time). That was a moment of clarity a bit for me, cause i saw a Gen which deffinitely wasn't worth the money IMHO and thus the imagined bubble burst. I then went a bought Christopher Ward Sealander 36 instead. Couldn't see any difference in finishing for 700£ and got essentially the same movement.

Reactions: shinynewbling25

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
That is an intresting point. I was on a hunt for a tudor bb 36 couple of years ago. I loved the design and the heritage and all that, but when I went to an AD and held the watch in hands I discovered that its just a "watch"... Nothing outstanding. Nothing particular about the finishing that i thought i saw on the renders, nor the movement on that matter (previous generation wirh ETA mov). It was just the watch... And they were charging 2300£ for it ( at the time). That was a moment of clarity a bit for me, cause i saw a Gen which deffinitely wasn't worth the money IMHO and thus the imagined bubble burst. I then went a bought Christopher Ward Sealander 36 instead. Couldn't see any difference in finishing for 700£ and got essentially the same movement.
That name never made sense to me.

How could you land on the sea? Or are you from a land in the sea? Like an island? Shouldn't be the islander then?

brahmabull

On the hunt for PAM163,212,213,288,286,253,228,297
Supporter
Certified
7/11/10
Tar on toe
I am in the same boat as many here. I have a couple of gens that will be passed down to the kids. With the level of quality for certain watch models, it has become difficult to justify buying a gen. Factor in the choice of ‘building a relationship (aka greasing the palm) with an AD’‘ to buy a gen or paying outrageous prices in the grey market, it’s an easy choice to go rep.

from a defensive position, if i am ever in a situation where someone tries to rob me, I can easily give up my watch without hesitation.

from a positive position, variety is the spice of life. I can get many high quality reps for the fraction of the price of a gen.

last benefit: you get to actively participate in this (and other) forums with like minded people. Makes things fun.

t.m.m

Known Member
Certified
10/11/23
Nuremberg, Germany
It depends on what you are interested in, but with Rolex it seems to be difficult without waiting times. What bothers me personally is the circus that the manufacturers are running. You can buy a watch from Panerei, but it's difficult with a steel bracelet, you have to go through their dealers only. I don't want that anymore, nor do I want the restrictions that certain models can only be purchased directly from the manufacturers, in their shops. So, the gens are in the box without becoming more, and the reps are increasing...

Reactions: Dave2302

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
I am in the same boat as many here. I have a couple of gens that will be passed down to the kids. With the level of quality for certain watch models, it has become difficult to justify buying a gen. Factor in the choice of ‘building a relationship (aka greasing the palm) with an AD’‘ to buy a gen or paying outrageous prices in the grey market, it’s an easy choice to go rep.

from a defensive position, if i am ever in a situation where someone tries to rob me, I can easily give up my watch without hesitation.

from a positive position, variety is the spice of life. I can get many high quality reps for the fraction of the price of a gen.

last benefit: you get to actively participate in this (and other) forums with like minded people. Makes things fun.

100% agreed.

However, if someone tries to rob me (after assessing the situation), I'm very likely to batter the fuck out of them, been in that situation a couple of times in no go areas of London.

Unlikely these days, we now live in a nice remote area where we can leave house doors open, keys in cars etc, a caveat since post lockdowns is not when the tourists are about in silly season (y)

PlastikMan

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
3/8/17
100% agreed.

However, if someone tries to rob me (after assessing the situation), I'm very likely to batter the fuck out of them, been in that situation a couple of times in no go areas of London.

Unlikely these days, we now live in a nice remote area where we can leave house doors open, keys in cars etc, a caveat since post lockdowns is not when the tourists are about in silly season (y)
When in certain dodgy areas in London, best is to wear a heavy ass bronze, sharp edged Panerai, 47mm preferably, was a weapon… f**kers…

Living in a remote area sounds like a dream to be honest 👌

Reactions: Dave2302

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
Living in a remote area sounds like a dream to be honest 👌

It was up until before lockdown, then some bored Belgian billionaire cunt started over promoting the Highlands, and since then year on year the number of Tourists has increased to the point that last year the whole infrastructure simply couldn't cope :cry:

There were johnny foreigners in hired Camper Vans just parking where they could, shitting in the roadside, leaving all their rubbish, fatal accidents, excessive traffic, all the things that we and many others came here to avoid.

But, whatever, it is still better than many areas of England ;)

PlastikMan

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
3/8/17
It was up until before lockdown, then some bored Belgian billionaire cunt started over promoting the Highlands, and since then year on year the number of Tourists has increased to the point that last year the whole infrastructure simply couldn't cope :cry:

There were johnny foreigners in hired Camper Vans just parking where they could, shitting in the roadside, leaving all their rubbish, fatal accidents, excessive traffic, all the things that we and many others came here to avoid.

But, whatever, it is still better than many areas of England ;)
What the heck was the Belgium promoting?

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
It wasn't Belgium, it was one Belgian geezer. It was and is increasingly being over promoted all over fa(r)cebook, started with NC500 route, then IOS and other areas.

I don't profess to understand the inner workings of FB, rarely use it tbh, but somehow, a bored billionaire arse-hole who definitely didn't think this thru, or need the money he earns (presumably per hit ?), started a whitewash of advertising "Come to the beautiful Highlands" etc etc yak yak yak !!

Now the place is being ruined more and more each year due to the ever increasing amount of visitors. A few localish businesses also started hiring camper vans, and actually are the enablers in this, certainly the hired campers are by far the worst.

Myself and most other locals are certainly not anti tourist, but these fuckers come here and don't put a single penny into the local economy, they just use and abuse, then fuck off leaving a wake of their crap and destruction.
They actually cost Highland resources a huge some of money in damages, RTA's, Mountain rescues, property damages, etc etc etc.

I actually had to go back 30 years and go and do (unpaid) door work in the wee shop that my wife runs locally, and put a fair few in their place or eject them out into the car park, because many many of these ares holes were being very abusive and even threatening to the staff, (mostly women), and the Police are fuckin' useless.

This year I have pre planned one of my younger buddies from the kickin' club to work there in the height of the season.
No-one threatens my wife and her staff and gets away with it :mad:

• Love
Reactions: flashu

joeyc

I'm Pretty Popular
6/1/08
Nyc
I am into reps since many years, and as many i ended switching to gens also because the price of reps and the constant mistakes/tells kept bothering me. Now since some time now i have a renovated interest in reps mainly for 2 reasons:
- gens are becoming a scam
- reps became much better

My first statement is result of big disappointment when i discovered the "swiss made" mockery. Swiss mades with most of their parts made in China and assembled in Switzerland just to milk enthusiasts with premium prices despite the lower costs are normality specially talking of lower priced luxury watches, let's say up to 5k. I found this unacceptable, not because of the quality obviously because it's more than clear that chinese manufaturers can produce at the same level of quality as any swiss watchmaker, but for fooling people with the brand "swiss" even if not true.

So at this point i am afrid that either i will abandon and stop collecting watches, or even better go back to the roots and switch again to reps: at least i know what i am paying for and still for a reasonable price. And let me add, with the hidden pleasure of f*****g the swiss brands.
I agree

What gens do you have or had?