• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Back to Rep after years of Gen

locvs

7/12/20
Germany
Spending 20-50 times the amount on gen will leave a bitter taste, as the difference in quality between gen and top reps is negligible

1breitling

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
13/9/17
My AD has one more opportunity before I stay in the rep game forever. I liked Rolex pre Covid, couldn’t get one then so I’m still on the waitlist with my AD. I’m not a flipper, I just appreciate the history. I was told in July that it’d be a “couple more months.” I’ll make one more call or visit in a few weeks, if I get the run around again, that’ll be it for me. Like the OP alluded to in the first post, I’ll stay with reps out of spite toward the brand if I don’t get the call now.

-zk-

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/7/14
I've owned a few reps and a few gen. I've had the opportunity a few times to own the same watch in both gen and rep. An example is the 114060 which I had both of. The rep gets everything very close but it is not the same as gen. Besides the "tells" which are pretty hard unless you're really looking, the watch just feels different in hand when you have them side by side.

The rep gets all the right details but the gen has those details but is better. The most apparently differences in a rep are little details. Things like the lume on markers are uneven or the watch hands are not as well finished. Things no one will see at first but when you see it, you can't unsee.

I still buy reps and gens. Sometimes it's a rep of a gen I had before like my old Tudor Black Bay. I miss it but am not willing to fork over the money for a gen again. Or things I do not think is worth buying as a gen but I enjoy as a fun watch - Panerai.

And reps have gotten much better! I started buying reps about 12 years ago from RWI and other forums. A super rep then is nothing compared to one now! The quality is much better. Reps used to have rough edges and you had to wear it in. Now they're great brand new and feels as comfortable as the gen! Tells are much less noticeable and QC has improved as well.

LPhiE

Supporter
Certified
12/12/13
I’ve owned a gen DJ, Sub, and Batgirl GMT. All were bought on the grey market. I had the same experience as other members here in regards to the ridiculous hoops we as consumers have to jump through to try to buy a watch at retail.

Having sold all of them and now back into reps, I can say that on the wrist, there’s really no difference to me. Could the finishing details be better, of course, but we are talking about a $500 watch vs a $10k+ watch. My rep Pepsi keeps better time than my gen Batgirl…

I’m saving up to eventually getting a neo-vintage Pepsi, but I’m the mean time, I will be enjoy the reps I recently acquired.

Caboose

Renowned Member
Supporter
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS
I’ve owned a gen DJ, Sub, and Batgirl GMT. All were bought on the grey market. I had the same experience as other members here in regards to the ridiculous hoops we as consumers have to jump through to try to buy a watch at retail.

Having sold all of them and now back into reps, I can say that on the wrist, there’s really no difference to me. Could the finishing details be better, of course, but we are talking about a $500 watch vs a $10k+ watch. My rep Pepsi keeps better time than my gen Batgirl…

I’m saving up to eventually getting a neo-vintage Pepsi, but I’m the mean time, I will be enjoy the reps I recently acquired.
My biggest complaint would be the sharpness sometimes of the replicas. That and whenever I get a Miyota movement the unidirectional spinning noise isn't the greatest has driven me to get some gens, but not many.

Reps are getting really good now.

LPhiE

Supporter
Certified
12/12/13
My biggest complaint would be the sharpness sometimes of the replicas. That and whenever I get a Miyota movement the unidirectional spinning noise isn't the greatest has driven me to get some gens, but not many.

Reps are getting really good
Definitely. I was shocked by the quality of the Pepsi rep I recently got and I can definitely live with some of the small flaws it has.

I don’t know if I’ll ever own a gen modern Rolex in the future as I’ve moved in a different direction with my collection. I’ve gotten into neo-vintage Cartiers recently and haven’t looked back. I’ll eventually add a rep Daytona to join the Pepsi, Hulk, RO 15202, and Overseas reps I have or are incoming and I’ll be pretty happy with my collection as a whole.

Reactions: NPwatchman

NPwatchman

Watch Enthusiast
20/7/23
United States
Definitely. I was shocked by the quality of the Pepsi rep I recently got and I can definitely live with some of the small flaws it has.

I don’t know if I’ll ever own a gen modern Rolex in the future as I’ve moved in a different direction with my collection. I’ve gotten into neo-vintage Cartiers recently and haven’t looked back. I’ll eventually add a rep Daytona to join the Pepsi, Hulk, RO 15202, and Overseas reps I have or are incoming and I’ll be pretty happy with my collection as a whole.
Would love to see your collection of neo-vintage Cartiers if you have a picture!

I also agree with others. I have had reps from back in the day (10+ years ago) and recently getting back into it now. The reps now are night and day difference from back then. Seems like they are becoming increasingly more difficult at first glance to tell between gen and rep for some super reps (until you really start getting into the nitty gritty). Like others have mentioned, for the price difference for some watches between gen and rep it’s not worth it. That’s just what I think though and others are welcome to have different views.

Reactions: LPhiE

LPhiE

Supporter
Certified
12/12/13
Would love to see your collection of neo-vintage Cartiers if you have a picture!

I also agree with others. I have had reps from back in the day (10+ years ago) and recently getting back into it now. The reps now are night and day difference from back then. Seems like they are becoming increasingly more difficult at first glance to tell between gen and rep for some super reps (until you really start getting into the nitty gritty). Like others have mentioned, for the price difference for some watches between gen and rep it’s not worth it. That’s just what I think though and others are welcome to have different views.
Currently, I just have two. My two tone Santos Galbee with a lemon dial and a NOS must de Cartier Tank with the rare tri-metal dial and original blue lizard strap. Both are from the early 90’s.

Poglavnik

Horology Curious
Certified
This thread has really opened my eyes. I’m glad I read it.
Same here, tbh I always wanted only the "Real Deal". I was arguing strictly against reps and walked multiple times into the next AD's in my city. I am talking about more then only one AD ofc... This is getting ridiculous I am since years on some imaginary list. Let's say the frustration woke up my interest into reps and I read the last days a lot of the threads posted here. I am currently very in doubt to consider buying a gen ever again.

aksingh

I'm Pretty Popular
7/3/10
Same here, tbh I always wanted only the "Real Deal". I was arguing strictly against reps and walked multiple times into the next AD's in my city. I am talking about more then only one AD ofc... This is getting ridiculous I am since years on some imaginary list. Let's say the frustration woke up my interest into reps and I read the last days a lot of the threads posted here. I am currently very in doubt to consider buying a gen ever again.
I wouldn't say never buy a gen again if you can - one strategy I have used effectively is to buy a gen of a certain brand and then a couple of reps of that brand, that way I have a real representative of the feel and quality of that gen's brand and then I have some fun with a few more out there reps that I might not want to buy in gen be they in a different material or metal or size etc.

Reactions: Poglavnik

lourentgarnier

Renowned Member
4/4/10
I wouldn't say never buy a gen again if you can - one strategy I have used effectively is to buy a gen of a certain brand and then a couple of reps of that brand, that way I have a real representative of the feel and quality of that gen's brand and then I have some fun with a few more out there reps that I might not want to buy in gen be they in a different material or metal or size etc.
True, never say never, but there are brands that for commercial policy and perfection of the reps, doesn't make much sense tu buy gen: rolex on top of all.
Besides all that there is another detail: go buy a gen through the grey market......swiss are very good with their "investment propaganda" convincing people that you will always get back at least what you invested......bollocks: an overprieced watch bought from a reseller, will alway be a big problem to be sold as a private (used) for the same price that you paid, at least in the short/mid term. Soooo.....yeah, f***k it, let's enjoy our reps :p

Poglavnik

Horology Curious
Certified
effectively is to buy a gen of a certain brand and then a couple of reps of that brand, that way I have a real representative of the feel and quality of that gen's brand and then I have some fun with a few more out
That's quite a nice strategy, too. There are a few brands where the gens still create desire (Rolex) or non factory is currently able to create reps good enough or even none at all (Omega & Grand Seiko). So I fully agree with you, never say never. I'm flabbergasted since a week now of all those comperissons in the Forum. At this point I'm literally in a state of questioning the whole industry :ROFLMAO:

locvs

7/12/20
Germany
There are brands and models still very much worth buying in gen.
Grand Seiko
Omega Speedmaster
just to name the msot obvious examples.
However with Rolex, AP and Patek - you either have to be loaded AF and a big time spender, or you'll be treated as a bum who has to prove worthy of spending money with them. The expirience is just humiliating for the normal customer.

Same game with Hermes and the Birkin bag. You need to spend tens of thoussands to be considered for a birkin. And even then you can't chose the size, material or colour. And you better take it or else....
Well i'll spend 600 with for a Chinese Rep and I'll pick the size and colour thank you very much.

NPwatchman

Watch Enthusiast
20/7/23
United States
There are brands and models still very much worth buying in gen.
Grand Seiko
Omega Speedmaster
just to name the msot obvious examples.
However with Rolex, AP and Patek - you either have to be loaded AF and a big time spender, or you'll be treated as a bum who has to prove worthy of spending money with them. The expirience is just humiliating for the normal customer.

Same game with Hermes and the Birkin bag. You need to spend tens of thoussands to be considered for a birkin. And even then you can't chose the size, material or colour. And you better take it or else....
Well i'll spend 600 with for a Chinese Rep and I'll pick the size and colour thank you very much.
That is the whole industry of reps vs gen’s though. I think if you are that large spender and make enough then by all means go gen if you want. I am in a financial position where I can buy some gen watches (low 5 figures) and I think it’s still a crime to do so. Many of these watches you are paying for the name/marketing/etc. than the actually quality of the watch. The quality of gens are superb but to me not worth the cost. That being said, this can be said about the bag/purse industry. In the last 3 years there’s this whole movement of having to “play the game” to get an item you want which seems like a never ending cycle. I’ll stick to reps (atleast for now).

intransit

Horology Curious
28/5/23
NYC
... Vintage is very complicated but very reawarding: first of all i like the design of 70s and 80s, and besides you can tell 100% watches were really swiss, no scams no hidden stories. But it's complicated, too many scams and too many watches that are frankenized and worth nothing from a collectible point of view...

Vintage is indeed pain. I am still very drawn to the MCM / Deco styles of Seiko chronos in particular, but all the rampant (bad) fakes ruined some of the fun of learning about the watches and movements. Fully agree on the nonsense with the retail Rolex market -- I could swing the grey market prices but I'm not sure I could live with myself.

Reps are the antidote, indeed.

mac427

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/1/23
texas
Reps are so good, it would be easy for a scammer to sell you one as a Gen. How discouraging that would be when you took it in for service.

Reactions: joeyc