• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Back to Rep after years of Gen

lourentgarnier

Renowned Member
4/4/10
I am into reps since many years, and as many i ended switching to gens also because the price of reps and the constant mistakes/tells kept bothering me. Now since some time now i have a renovated interest in reps mainly for 2 reasons:
- gens are becoming a scam
- reps became much better

My first statement is result of big disappointment when i discovered the "swiss made" mockery. Swiss mades with most of their parts made in China and assembled in Switzerland just to milk enthusiasts with premium prices despite the lower costs are normality specially talking of lower priced luxury watches, let's say up to 5k. I found this unacceptable, not because of the quality obviously because it's more than clear that chinese manufaturers can produce at the same level of quality as any swiss watchmaker, but for fooling people with the brand "swiss" even if not true.

So at this point i am afrid that either i will abandon and stop collecting watches, or even better go back to the roots and switch again to reps: at least i know what i am paying for and still for a reasonable price. And let me add, with the hidden pleasure of f*****g the swiss brands.

Feefo

Your cleverness is mistaken for your cleverness
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
Hi and welcome back to RWI! Glad you found your way back here. Indeed the quality of reps is today not comparable to 10 years ago and I think you'll be positively surprised after you get your first one.
Do you still have any "old-timers" to show to us?

Please take some time to read the sticky threads in the new members area (all subsections), learn the basic forum rules and get some very good advice in the process. A number of questions has already been answered there, this is just an example:

As a new subscriber, you've already been directed to this thread, please read carefully and look through the linked additional threads:

Another good thread to read to understand where RWI comes from and some fundamentals is this:

Most of the information you need to know to start is there. If you're preparing to buy, read the stickies before ordering. When you're finished, you can continue learning by reading the stickies in all remaining sections. If it's stickied, it's important information.

If you intend to sell, read the sales rules and all stickies in the sales section with particular care and make sure you understand each single rule. Sales rules infraction is taken very seriously here. As a new member you are not eligible to sell. Using the sales section is a privilege, eligibility must be earned, make sure you know and understand how.

For anything else, feel free to reach out to @eBoy or me, we're happy to assist, advise, direct, explain. Don't hesitate.

Don't be afraid to post noob questions in the new members area. In doubt, use the flame free zone. If you feel uncomfortable anywhere in the new members area, please reach out to @eBoy or me. Mutual respect is of utmost importance to us. On the other hand, we're grown-ups and are supposed to be able to deal with a bit of irony, don't take it personally, ever, a bit of irony never harmed anyone. If you laugh at jokes, you'll make friends faster.

This forum is a treasure trove of information and benefits from the engagement of all members who take their time to share their knowledge, help each other out and have some fun. We hope that you'll benefit and enjoy this platform as well as contribute positively to it.

If at any point you feel to contribute also on another level, feel free to pm the boss (trailboss99) to become a supporter and get some little perks with the status (editing rights, for example).

Enjoy the forum.

Reactions: emdeevee

intransit

Horology Curious
28/5/23
NYC
I think a similar experience happend with me and vintage watch collecting. Many years ago when I started, it was a fun hobby to do my research and search out watches that were lesser known, or hidden from the public eye. With the recent explosion of popularity of mechanical watches (which is great, mind you), some of the vintage models that I've collected or wanted to collect have exploded in pricing. As does the group of people scamming, or faking watches.

For what it's worth, I'm having a lot of fun learning about reps as I know specifically what I'm getting and I'm not getting sold a story! Being in control of the transaction by knowing what I'm getting has returned some of the joy of the hobby.

And maybe someday the gen market will settle down closer to MSRP, but I'm not holding my breath.

lourentgarnier

Renowned Member
4/4/10
Hi and welcome back to RWI! Glad you found your way back here. Indeed the quality of reps is today not comparable to 10 years ago and I think you'll be positively surprised after you get your first one.
Do you still have any "old-timers" to show to us?

Please take some time to read the sticky threads in the new members area (all subsections), learn the basic forum rules and get some very good advice in the process. A number of questions has already been answered there, this is just an example:

As a new subscriber, you've already been directed to this thread, please read carefully and look through the linked additional threads:

Another good thread to read to understand where RWI comes from and some fundamentals is this:

Most of the information you need to know to start is there. If you're preparing to buy, read the stickies before ordering. When you're finished, you can continue learning by reading the stickies in all remaining sections. If it's stickied, it's important information.

If you intend to sell, read the sales rules and all stickies in the sales section with particular care and make sure you understand each single rule. Sales rules infraction is taken very seriously here. As a new member you are not eligible to sell. Using the sales section is a privilege, eligibility must be earned, make sure you know and understand how.

For anything else, feel free to reach out to @eBoy or me, we're happy to assist, advise, direct, explain. Don't hesitate.

Don't be afraid to post noob questions in the new members area. In doubt, use the flame free zone. If you feel uncomfortable anywhere in the new members area, please reach out to @eBoy or me. Mutual respect is of utmost importance to us. On the other hand, we're grown-ups and are supposed to be able to deal with a bit of irony, don't take it personally, ever, a bit of irony never harmed anyone. If you laugh at jokes, you'll make friends faster.

This forum is a treasure trove of information and benefits from the engagement of all members who take their time to share their knowledge, help each other out and have some fun. We hope that you'll benefit and enjoy this platform as well as contribute positively to it.

If at any point you feel to contribute also on another level, feel free to pm the boss (trailboss99) to become a supporter and get some little perks with the status (editing rights, for example).

Enjoy the forum.
thanx for the welcome mate, but as you can see i am a very old registered memeber, i know the rules and how it works, and tbh i've always been around even if i was not collecting too much reps.
I have some "old gen" reps, just yesterday i sold my beloved ploprof v2 to a member, and willing to add some more.
Cheers ;)

lourentgarnier

Renowned Member
4/4/10
I think a similar experience happend with me and vintage watch collecting. Many years ago when I started, it was a fun hobby to do my research and search out watches that were lesser known, or hidden from the public eye. With the recent explosion of popularity of mechanical watches (which is great, mind you), some of the vintage models that I've collected or wanted to collect have exploded in pricing. As does the group of people scamming, or faking watches.

For what it's worth, I'm having a lot of fun learning about reps as I know specifically what I'm getting and I'm not getting sold a story! Being in control of the transaction by knowing what I'm getting has returned some of the joy of the hobby.

And maybe someday the gen market will settle down closer to MSRP, but I'm not holding my breath.
well we all have our story. I also went the vintage way and collected some really nice watches. Vintage is very complicated but very reawarding: first of all i like the design of 70s and 80s, and besides you can tell 100% watches were really swiss, no scams no hidden stories. But it's complicated, too many scams and too many watches that are frankenized and worth nothing from a collectible point of view. Then i went modern, bought some watches but now i finally opened mu eyes again. Gen? Only high end and up, like Rolex, maybe Omega, but forget all the rest of "swiss made" watch brands than are in the 1k/5k range. All overpriced assembled watches by a smart swiss company willing to make you pay a premium for nothing.

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
thanx for the welcome mate, but as you can see i am a very old registered memeber, i know the rules and how it works, and tbh i've always been around even if i was not collecting too much reps.
I have some "old gen" reps, just yesterday i sold my beloved ploprof v2 to a member, and willing to add some more.
Cheers ;)
I didn't mean no disrespect, I saw when you registered, but not knowing if you hung around or not I just posted the customary instructions as a refresher. Particularly regarding sales, there's new rules, but since you know the lay of the land you'll find those in no time if you didn't yet.
I know of many members who would have given an arm and a leg for a ploprof... you didn't sell here, did you? ;)

Regarding your views on the industry, I'm with you 100%.

snaes

WTB Noob LMPO v5 🙏
Supporter
Certified
4/4/22
EU
We discuss this topic daily with my coworkers, bottom line is that the value you get with reps completely blows out gens..

For example, Blancpain x Swatch: you get a non-servicable movement that will last you 2-3 years (good PR, I give them that), with ugly coloured plastics. I refuse to believe that costs more than 30-40 EUR to produce, yet it's set to retail at 400. Reps you get for 400, however, have AR sapphire, 316/904 steel, A2824 / other reliable movements and they looks fucking great. Or, for example Baltic, which I wanted to buy, the microrotor model. Such awful specs for the 650 EUR price, not even sapphire crystal, like come on. On the other hand, look what you get in the rep world for 650..

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
I had the luck to discover Baltic fairly early, when they still used Sellita movements and the price was more fair. Would not buy them today at that price point with Seagull or Hanghzou movements.

snaes

WTB Noob LMPO v5 🙏
Supporter
Certified
4/4/22
EU
I had the luck to discover Baltic fairly early, when they still used Sellita movements and the price was more fair. Would not buy them today at that price point with Seagull or Hanghzou movements.

How much was it? I could easily accept Baltic with Sellita for around 500 EUR, regardless of the crystal, but current pricing, in my very own opinion, is off

lourentgarnier

Renowned Member
4/4/10
I didn't mean no disrespect, I saw when you registered, but not knowing if you hung around or not I just posted the customary instructions as a refresher. Particularly regarding sales, there's new rules, but since you know the lay of the land you'll find those in no time if you didn't yet.
I know of many members who would have given an arm and a leg for a ploprof... you didn't sell here, did you? ;)

Regarding your views on the industry, I'm with you 100%.
no prob mate, imagine ;)
for the ploprof i've put the add a couple of times but waiting for green i regretted and decided not to sell; finally a few days ago i decided again to sell (box queen) so instead of going the traditional way i contacted a few interested memebrs in the WTB section. Sold in 10 minutes to a happy buyer :)

Reactions: p0pperini

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
How much was it? I could easily accept Baltic with Sellita for around 500 EUR, regardless of the crystal, but current pricing, in my very own opinion, is off
Sorry, I was wrong. Pricing did not change, just the innards. I paid 580 + TAX, with a Sapphire crystal (the Aquascaphe).

lourentgarnier

Renowned Member
4/4/10
We discuss this topic daily with my coworkers, bottom line is that the value you get with reps completely blows out gens..

For example, Blancpain x Swatch: you get a non-servicable movement that will last you 2-3 years (good PR, I give them that), with ugly coloured plastics. I refuse to believe that costs more than 30-40 EUR to produce, yet it's set to retail at 400. Reps you get for 400, however, have AR sapphire, 316/904 steel, A2824 / other reliable movements and they looks fucking great. Or, for example Baltic, which I wanted to buy, the microrotor model. Such awful specs for the 650 EUR price, not even sapphire crystal, like come on. On the other hand, look what you get in the rep world for 650..
funny that with some friends talking about the matter, we took the swatch fifty fathoms too :D
Baltic, at least we are taliking about a relatively cheap watch: go see price when you start talking about Oris, Longines, Doxa, Maurice lacroix, Tissot and so on: watches that cost 2/3/4k and then you discover that cases are made in China, so as bracelets, crystals....crowns, bezels......c'mon...

Reactions: wisedennis

Retina

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
18/12/14
- gens are becoming a scam
rofl, no truer word. Its ridiculous how much higher these pieces are being priced - with no notable additional improvements except the need to increase YOY revenues.

Add that together with how you need to sell yourself to the dealers before they give you the watch you want... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

For the lack of a better word - simps.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Add that together with how you need to sell yourself to the dealers before they give you the watch you want...
This is the final massive insult that I just can't forgive.

When I spoke to an AD salesperson and they explained how I needed to develop "a relationship" with them before being considered eligible for a Rolex sports model, I LOLed down the phone at them.

Aaaaaaaanyway. Welcome back @lourentgarnier, and as you're no doubt well aware, your reasons for returning to reps resonate with a lot of the members here!

lourentgarnier

Renowned Member
4/4/10
This is the final massive insult that I just can't forgive.

When I spoke to an AD salesperson and they explained how I needed to develop "a relationship" with them before being considered eligible for a Rolex sports model, I LOLed down the phone at them.

Aaaaaaaanyway. Welcome back @lourentgarnier, and as you're no doubt well aware, your reasons for returning to reps resonate with a lot of the members here!
ok, so listen at mine:
like one year ago i was walking in front of a small multibrand dealer who had also rolex. I saw in the vitrine a yachtmaster, a gmt and and an OP, wow. Went in and asked about the yachmaster : the lady handled to me the watch and while i was trying it i asked about the final price. She answerd that she was not sure she could sell me that watch because there were other customers interested!!! So i asked why she let me try it and she started saying non senses.......then, a bit disappointed, i asked for the other 2 models and the answer was the same: i could try them but i had only the chance to leave my data and that they would call me back to tell me if they could sell me the watches.
I immediatelly left, furious with no plausible explanation of the situation. Then i got it i guess.......the b***ch was probably pushing me to get a better offer maybe....dunno, but that was the last time i looked for a rolex.

Caboose

Renowned Member
Supporter
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS
ok, so listen at mine:
like one year ago i was walking in front of a small multibrand dealer who had also rolex. I saw in the vitrine a yachtmaster, a gmt and and an OP, wow. Went in and asked about the yachmaster : the lady handled to me the watch and while i was trying it i asked about the final price. She answerd that she was not sure she could sell me that watch because there were other customers interested!!! So i asked why she let me try it and she started saying non senses.......then, a bit disappointed, i asked for the other 2 models and the answer was the same: i could try them but i had only the chance to leave my data and that they would call me back to tell me if they could sell me the watches.
I immediatelly left, furious with no plausible explanation of the situation. Then i got it i guess.......the b***ch was probably pushing me to get a better offer maybe....dunno, but that was the last time i looked for a rolex.
Anytime someone is like "well we have extra buyers and..." I just walk out. A few times, they've said with my back turned, a few steps closer to the door, "well, we could do $x..." and then you have called their bluff, and have some negotiating leverage. If they have any other buyers, you're dead in the water anyway.

lourentgarnier

Renowned Member
4/4/10
Anytime someone is like "well we have extra buyers and..." I just walk out. A few times, they've said with my back turned, a few steps closer to the door, "well, we could do $x..." and then you have called their bluff, and have some negotiating leverage. If they have any other buyers, you're dead in the water anyway.
call me naif but when i walk into a shop with the intent of buying an expensive (overpriced already) good, i pretend a gentlemen deal, not chep market triks. They can keep their watches, i can survive without.

Tim4682

Supporter
Certified
27/10/13
NC, USA
The only gens I own are things I absolutely NEEDED, but werent repped (and likely never would be). I cant imagine a scenario where I buy anymore gens except for that, where I absolutely adore the watch and cant find a suitable rep of it.

The idea of simping to an AD and BEGGING them to take my money is nauseating and absurd. Additionally, with reps at ~1-10% of the price, 95% of the look/feel, and probably 75% of the reliability, the math just makes more sense.