• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Attention all Swiss ETA buyers.... Please Read!

IRISH1COOL

Horology Curious
1/1/09
Thank you for your response, you said to use recommended reps here? Who are they? And why wouldn't the watches I mentioned be of good quality.I'm looking for high end dress watches with leather band and buckle clasp not the traditional belt type.Could you give me some specific sites to visit,there are so many and every time I like the looks of one they seem to be on someones black list . Again im looking for a high quality Vacheron Constantin,A. Lange & Sohne, Jaeger-LeCoultre . I need to purchase soon, any direction is appreciated.
Peter C

horologie_unitas

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/12/06
i would recommend a CHRONOSWISS KAIROS. really nice rep, dressy watch. swiss 2824 mvmnt.

geyper man

Looking Around
13/3/07
KBH said:
Here's all the proof I needed. This is what one I got from one of the "most trusted" dealers. This came out of a Datejust. Supposedly a Swiss ETA 2836-2 but they couldn't even get the stamp right. It's stamped 2834-2 which wouldn't even fit in most of our reps if it really was what it was stamped. I never could keep running even after 2 trips to my watchmaker.

I'd have never known if it hadn't been such a piece of crap.
DSCN2278.jpg
A better pic could help but the 3 holes NOVODIAC spring looks like the one in a GEN ETA 2834-2, the same movement as 2836-2 with an external day indicator at top.

ETA_2834_2.jpg

ETA_2834_2-1.jpg

Please check:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db. ... ETA_2834_1

p2360836

Horology Curious
3/2/09
All but one watch I bought I paid a premium for "Swiss" movement. I know that I overpaid now after doing the research.

What I do know is that the Panerai Pam 236 replica I purchased for around 300 with the Asian movement sucked. Couldn't keep time worth a crap.

THe 2 Rolex subs and the Breitling 6.75 were exceptional watches and I paid way more that 300 and I probably got hosed but they really are great watches.

TatsNguns

4/12/08
this has always made sense to me , I mean if the so called real watch companies cant get some of these eta movements so the idea that some dude in a hut is going to have a load of swiss eta movements has never past the smell test. but for some clicking the extra 70 to 100 to make them sleep better at night with there rep , I say hey all the more power to ya . I just happen to pass on that lil extra. Now a extra strap for the low low price of 25 bucks hell count me in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TatsNguns

8) 8)

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
Now I am only going for a21 and a7750 or eta clone versions. This swiss terminology is irritating the hell out of me!

Tranman

23/1/09
Thanks guys, if it wasn't for this forum I'd be buying all swiss eta's.

OmegaPOFL

Renowned Member
10/3/09
yeah...i totally agree. after reading this post, im not really looking @ "swiss" eta movt's *sigh* if only there were still ones with real eta's in them!

amptor

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/5/07
I bought all of my swiss ETA watches before the whole panic about them not being available any more or clones being out. I'm not sure if that really means they all are genuine swiss ETA but they probably are.

But yeah from what I'm reading it seems like it is good to buy a chinese ETA clone as long as the dealer tells you that it is such. The only thing I don't understand is why you can say, one watch with asian automatic 21 jewel is $40 less than the same watch with asian ETA clone. I was hoping that the clone market would keep prices down on par with the 21j movements and possibly even replace most of the 21j in replicas altogether. And it probably does, if you are buying in Guangzhou in person anyways...

JJJ

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/5/09
TX
Thanks LOS,

I'll save my extra $85.00 and goo for the clone.

caterpillar

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
17/6/09
I don't think ETA would be hugh issue at least for me, asia movement works perfect for me.

benshermin

Known Member
12/6/09
It took me a while, but I just finished reading through the 10 pages of this thread. I just wanted to thank you all for your posts....this site has proven to be a wealth of information and is helping me start my collection and new hobby

zuescotton

Known Member
6/7/09
well, if people are able to mimic the swiss ETA to almost perfect you are getting swiss quality. I think this is just saying that the days of the Swiss being the best are almost out numbered. Hell in 5 years maybe the reps will have BETTER movement than the Gens. Imagine that.. lol. Get a rolex and it says asian clone ETA for better performance. I've always thought Swiss was kinda weird that so many people worshiped them and now we have people making almost if not the same quality movements for less. The day will come when the preferred movement is asian not swiss. If it does it would be funny.

NOT saying that they are the same now, but as for time holding and durability. I think the clones are getting there. I've heard TONS of good things about them and the only downside is service. I'll help people out there one day.

vegetaleb

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/7/09
I have found a guy selling replicas door to door,he said the Big Pilot he's selling for 400$ is ''swiss'',he accepted to drop the price to 300$,now that I have read this topic I am not convinced to put the extra 200$ over an ''ordinary'' replica.
Other thing: he told me it has a saphyre crystal