• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Attention all Swiss ETA buyers.... Please Read!

techlogik

16/7/09
As info and reference. Here is pretty much a sure way to distinguish the 2836 clone to Swiss. The real tell is the 3 indents around the incabloc shock. No asian clone has ever been shown to have these.

34ryhjn.jpg

2hq9fg2.jpg

Konrad

Looking Around
8/2/08
I'm a newb here but I realize this is a very old thread. Since it began I have bought several reps and the 2836-2 movement works smoothest and is on a rep that is superb. Guys, get a grip. These are REPS!

Went to the store and bought what they called genuine Swiss cheese, real German beer and authentic Irish soda bread. Guess What? They were ALL MADE IN THE U.S. Was I ripped off? Should I get my money back or just boycott the stores where I bought them? Guys, get real here. These rep dealers are taking broad license to tell us that the Swiss ETA movements they sell are made similar to (e.g., clones of) the Swiss style.

Now in Switzerland, the law is specific about what you can call a Swiss movement. But our rep mfgers live in CHINA and they are producing a product that violates the laws of many countries to sell/re-sell. It is too obvious to say it but: Just because they say their reps have a Swiss ETA movement does not mean it is either made in Swtizerland or meets Swiss standards as required by the laws of that country.

I kept the ETA movement, the cheese, beer and soda bread cause they are all GREAT. They were made in the style of but not to meet the legalistic requirements of those countries. The "Swiss ETA" is genuine all right -- a genuine clone. If you find it provides no better quality than lesser grades then don't pay extra.
Konrad

aplan

Looking Around
12/3/10
A Good rep source, Where?

If I were to buy a rep, where do I find a reputable source?

Konrad

Looking Around
8/2/08
Recommend you read the sticky suggested for newbs to read before they post. This board is filled with great information. It's a vast field so read up and learn before expecting these guys to do all your research for you.

Good luck!

Konrad

yaniva12

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/4/10
All of you guys talking about the ETA swiss movement or asian ETA but what about the quality and craft, orientation
if i want to buy a quality rep i need to buy the swiss
or japanese rep?

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
There is no such thing as a Swiss or Japanese rep.
99% of reps are made in China. The rest in India.
"Swiss" refers to the MVT (movement), not the watch itself.
Very few if any use a Japanese MVT any more.

Col.

drexxxo

Horology Curious
12/5/10
HI guys. I have been doing lots of reading and had to comment in this thread.
1-) Sellita movements (more exaclty SW200) is and exact copy of ETA 2824-2 since sellitas was contracted by ETA in the past to make that movement. is this statement true or not?
2-) How about the ""swiss"" ETA 2824-2 25j that puretime is selling in their aquaracer 500m (and maybe other replicas too)

This topic gets extremely confusing at times. ITs easy to understand that no movement is actually swiss made rather than made in china lol. however, when you start digging into the matter, you realize that companies like sellita used to make movements for ETA and were labelled "swiss made". so in reality, if you own a sw200 you own a ETA2824 by specification??? :thinking::wacko:... can someone clarify this please!!!!!

Jarios666

Looking Around
23/5/10
swss.cc or iwatches webpage

Do someone know something about a website named [BLINK]swss.cc[/BLINK] or [BLINK]iwatches.cc[/BLINK] ?
They have a very nice webpage but a can not find any information about them, besides there [BLINK]own[/BLINK] website....:thinking:..!

P4GTR

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
9/9/07
I wouldn't even type those URL's into my web browser. Theres no reason to know anything about those sites. Everything you need to know, is here. :)

AllergyDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
3/5/07
I'm convinced you can get a "gen ETA" movement in your replica watch. You might not, but you certainly can.

Member G.Curcio posted this on RWG:

The Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry which makes the rules about if a movement can be labeled/considered "Swiss" actually set these standards:

A Swiss watch movement

According to Section 2 OSM, a movement is considered to be Swiss if:

#1. it has been assembled in Switzerland;

#2. it has been inspected by the manufacturer in Switzerland; and

#3. the components of Swiss manufacture account for at least 50 percent of the total value, without taking into account the cost of assembly.

And here are the ways around these laws:

#1. Take movement manufactured/assembled to 99.9% in Asia and add rotor & screw in Switzerland (because without rotor it is not considered assembled or complete, only 99.9%)

#2. Inspect movement in Switzerland.

#3. Pay $0.49 for the assembled Asian movement without rotor and say the rotor & screw cost $0.51

Abracadabra, now you have a Swiss Movt!

ETA does this, of course don't forget, it is by their factory, with their machinery that these movts are made, so tolerances & specs are the same to those manufactured/assembled in Switzerland.

Link

doni01

26/12/08
Chances are very slim that you will get one but it's still possible :)

dustin

Renowned Member
7/6/10
Trusted Dealers

When the trusted dealers on this forum have ads saying Swiss ETA, are those reliable?

For example: www.marvellousreplica.com
has Swiss ETAs listed in their PP reps...

Or are those really clones?

If they are clones, can I switch them out or would I have to make other mods to the case to do this? (I have a good source for actual etas, but am not knowledgeable about cases/modding).

GC

I'm Pretty Popular
1/2/10
Just as an up date, because this thread was started a while ago...

There are real ETA movts available (when I say "real" I mean produced by ETA in Switzerland or Asia, makes no difference because it was produced by ETA)

The ETA (read NOT Clone) movts sold by Robert/T4D/PWC & Mary@WatchInternational & MReplica are NOT old or recycled, they are new, clean movts. I can only mention these dealers because I have seen the movts first hand. I'm sure other dealers can get them too.

The Clone movt is not an ETA, it is not produced by ETA.

When referring to different movts i.e. Clone vs ETA, we should just use the simplest/basic terms so newbies and veterans alike can find common ground...

example:

ETA 2836 = Produced by ETA (either in Switzerland or Asia)

Clone 2836 = NOT produced by ETA

There is no need to say "SWISS ETA" because no one can confirm where ETA produces their movts, they produce in Asia as well as Switzerland (and most likely more so in Asia than Switzerland due to labor costs).

Remember, and this is key!, if the movt is produced by ETA it is produced with ETA's tolerances & QC, it makes no difference what country it is produced in!

That's my rant, I hope it doesn't upset anyone, my hope is just to once and for all cut through the BS and ambiguity.

BTW & FWIW... here is my review and comparison of an ETA vs Clone movt (it is on RWG.com , so if you are not a member sign up to view it.)

link: http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5100&hl=

panny777

Looking Around
19/5/10
Thanks...I've been trying to understand this for bloomin ages!!! Finally the light bulbs gone on.;-)

JC7

Put Some Respect On My Name
15/6/10
with all the new members i thought this deserved a BUMP

ryr-rolex

31/12/09
I'm very new to the world of replicas. But if this is the case, shall I just save my money and buy the clone ETA movement replicas? I'd hate to fork out the extra cash only to one day find out I got a clone after paying for a genuine ETA!

Is the problem still at large?

Thanks!

JC7

Put Some Respect On My Name
15/6/10
yes, buy the clone movement and save yourself some cash and if you do want to buy the "swiss" I have a sub and milgauss I'll sell you. ;)

ryr-rolex

31/12/09
I think I will buy the clone when given the choice; it's cheaper and at least it saves the possibility of actually knowingly being ripped off!

Now, that looks as if I'll be able to afford even more replicas! :D

Thanks!

ryr-rolex

31/12/09
I think I will buy the clone when given the choice; it's cheaper and at least it saves the possibility of actually knowingly being ripped off!

Now, that looks as if I'll be able to afford even more replicas! :D

Thanks!