• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Attention all Swiss ETA buyers.... Please Read!

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Nice bump JC.
Yup, unless you know your dealer backwards and can tell a clone from a gen ETA at a glance save the angst and buy the clone. They really are quite good MVTS these days.

Col.

ryr-rolex

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/12/09
I don't think I'd ever open the back of my watch myself. I don't have any reason too! Can the ETA-clones be serviced just like the genuine ETA?

Already forming a list of watches that I will buy!!! :D

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Pretty much mate, the gen parts will even fit some of them.
Of cause it's often cheaper to bung in a whole new MVT then to service the old one.

Col.

Fortey

21/7/10
Is it possible that admins will at some point require trusted sites to remove the "swiss" or "ETA" claims? If there really aren't ETAs in watches that people are paying a premium for, that's about as dishonest as using pictures of gens, I'd say.

Sorry if that sounds too complain-ey, I'm just interested in what goes into trusted status. This whole world is still blowing my mind.

Fortey

21/7/10
Is it possible that admins will at some point require trusted sites to remove the "swiss" or "ETA" claims? If there really aren't ETAs in watches that people are paying a premium for, that's about as dishonest as using pictures of gens, I'd say.

Sorry if that sounds too complain-ey, I'm just interested in what goes into trusted status. This whole world is still blowing my mind.

D

d4m.test

I was wondering the very same! I think it's time to say goodbye to the Swiss movements in the rep's. But I wonder if the board wants this; will the dealers then put the price of the ETA clones to counteract the loss they make?

As if I didn't know that there was a clone, I'd of wasted my money on the "Swiss" I'm sure many newcomers jump right in and go for swiss.

olivax

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/8/10
Hey guys, I know that this thread is quite old but don't you think we are missing something or somebuddies?
None of the trusted dealers have posted any reaction! They are selling watches that have "swiss movement ETA" but they don't react on this post!
It seems strange for me!!!

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
Hey guys, I know that this thread is quite old but don't you think we are missing something or somebuddies?
None of the trusted dealers have posted any reaction! They are selling watches that have "swiss movement ETA" but they don't react on this post!
It seems strange for me!!!
Dealers are very busy running their businesses, and are active on all the rep fora, so they do not just peruse threads on any site. They will monitor threads in their specific sections, but that's about it.

As for getting rid of "Swiss" or "Genuine ETA" claims, there are some dealers who actually will deliver on this more often than not. The problem is that the dealers themselves often cannot tell the difference and are going on what the factory told them. I have bought gen ETA (Swiss or Asian-built ETA, I don't know) from Hont a few times, and they have all been confirmed by my very old and experienced watch smith.

D

d4m.test

I agree that it isn't the dealers fault, but they all seem to recommend to buy a Swiss version. I suppose that's to do with the higher price and the extra profit. But as it has been said, getting a genuine ETA is difficult - and eventually I wonder will it be even possible?

Recommended advice is to buy the clones.

But why don't any of the dealers offer the advice here, and state that authenticity is going to be difficult. It can be tried (at the buyers expense and risk) but at least he or she knows.

d-rock

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
24/8/10
It took me a while, but I just finished reading through the 10 pages of this thread. I just wanted to thank you all for your posts....this site has proven to be a wealth of information and is helping me start my collection and new hobby
Amen to that. VERY good reading here...this thread starter deserves an award.
Opened my eyes up enough to be certain to open the back of any watch that I piad a higher price for simply because it was listed as using a real eta movement. AND to be certain to know enough to determine the difference. I fail to see how problems could be avoided if TRUSTED sellers listed in this Forum do or have in fact raised the price by offering the watch with a guaranteed real eta movement and the purchased product isn't what you paid the higher price for.

WatchDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
15/2/10
I've found this very nice Hublot Bing Bang King, gold plated replica: http://www.timesshop.net/product.php?id_product=3095

The dealer advertise it as having a SWISS ETA 2892-A2 AUTOMATIC 28800 BPH movement. Is this for real at that price, or it might be a fake advertisment? And if the answer is yes, is it a reliable movement?

Read the first post on this thread, it answers your question. They recommend getting a clone movement if you want, but don't bother paying the premium for the "swiss" version.

Also, from my reading and PMing, I think any rep movement is as reliable as you can expect. Get it serviced and it'll stay as good as it can be. The 21j's are cheap to replace if they fail. Guys in this forum service them and the others as well.

gw4k

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
28/8/10
Wow...lots of great info here!

I've learned a lot just reading this thread.

D

d4m.test

thank you to techlogic. the photos were very educational.

THank you also to G.C. for making the distinction so clear.

breitlingquebec34

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
19/2/10
stopped paying for watches with so-called swiss movements i got 4 watch from 4 dif dealers from here all the ETA asian no swiss like i pay for! 1- real swiss is the one BK rolex sold in the rolexs dad the watch need oil ...

bbomfield

Looking Around
8/11/10
very new member which is better valjoux 7750 eta 287321j eta2892 -2?? havnt aclue what these mean!!