• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ARF GMT 116710 SH3186 photo review

saucin

Renowned Member
20/4/20
If you haven't installed the new insert yet you might want to think about cracking the old one out with the bezel in place.Yoh would need to remove the movement and a dremel with cutting disc is needed. The new install will be much easier if the bezel never has to.come off. You'll likely crack the old insert any way you try fo remove it from the bezel

Hazing did this on his VRF to install a gen insert.

Hmm this sounds like an interesting method... [mention]Hazing [/mention] do you mind chiming in here... I’m curious exactly how you did this without damaging the bezel with the dremel cutting tool... also why do we need to remove the movement? To protect from any vibrations the dremel creates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: kennygconspiracy

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
@saucin

Yeah... I have a vrf and I only wanted to do the insert so I didn't really want to send it away and I don't have the vice and press here so cutting the insert was the best way of doing that.

I will say one thing, they're strong. I was drilling and drilling and drilling down on one of the dots in the insert and it barely looked like I did anything. The bit was bright bright red from heating up so much. That's with those tiny drill bits and a dremel.

So I use the cutting edge and just pressed it lightly against the insert and it cut enough where I was going to get in under it with a tool.

While I now I probably sound like I was hacking away, I wasn't. I was very careful. I know you asked about the dremel and how I did it. I was careful and went slow. If I wasn't sure I backed off.

But I got it off and was able to get it going myself.

I did take the movement out too. I didn't want to risk damaging the movement. This watch is running so sweet right now, I wasn't ready to push my luck. And on the vr, I just had to find those two movement screws and get it out. That was easy. Lining up the dial was a little bit of a pain.
5cda723fd8903068fb9c24f5a77f2676.jpg
297a559e356eac2829f4646febbf004e.jpg
855c1a5169f257fdd590bf8d54892590.jpg
6e27e91b349255ba645cdeb85ed5f830.jpg
df3aed6b095845841b25d3205e9df4c7.jpg
5d8d2a9f46f3c6a6830bf63bd798f1d0.jpg
396805bea5e5e14c355b87c8126c6046.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: saucin and KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
@saucin

Yeah... I have a vrf and I only wanted to do the insert so I didn't really want to send it away and I don't have the vice and press here so cutting the insert was the best way of doing that.

I will say one thing, they're strong. I was drilling and drilling and drilling down on one of the dots in the insert and it barely looked like I did anything. The bit was bright bright red from heating up so much. That's with those tiny drill bits and a dremel.

So I use the cutting edge and just pressed it lightly against the insert and it cut enough where I was going to get in under it with a tool.

While I now I probably sound like I was hacking away, I wasn't. I was very careful. I know you asked about the dremel and how I did it. I was careful and went slow. If I wasn't sure I backed off.

But I got it off and was able to get it going myself.

I did take the movement out too. I didn't want to risk damaging the movement. This watch is running so sweet right now, I wasn't ready to push my luck. And on the vr, I just had to find those two movement screws and get it out. That was easy. Lining up the dial was a little bit of a pain.
5cda723fd8903068fb9c24f5a77f2676.jpg

Great job bro, slice and dice haha. ARF insert is pressure fit so make sure it's lined up perfectly before pressing it in.

Hazing

9/5/19
I had the same issue with you. Just ordered a new ARF 116710LN bezel insert from CT for $58 and problem solved.
They sell arf inserts for $50? Fucjb. If I knew that I'd have gone with that for $58. Lol.

Hazing

9/5/19
Great job bro, slice and dice haha. ARF insert is pressure fit so make sure it's lined up perfectly before pressing it in.
Thank God it was the vrf insert and I knew there is no possible way that would ever go on a watch again. So rip it off.

I was utterly amazed by how strong this fvcker was/is, yet so fragile at the same time.

Reactions: KJ2020

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Were you using an HSS drill bit? If so, you’d probably have had an easier time of it with a masonry or a diamond bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: m5smg2

Hazing

9/5/19
Were you using an HSS drill bit? If so, you’d probably have had an easier time of it with a masonry or a diamond bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah I figured that but I was using these tiny bits made for the dremel. I didn't think it would be that strong. I mean I figured I'd be able to drill into it considering how fragile they are but it wasn't going anywhere.

Hazing

9/5/19
You're way better off with the gen. Never have to worry about it again. Too many of the ARFs are having paint issues nowadays.
Goes back to my earlier sentiment (and I was almost... Or just starting to convert, too) that all rep gmt inserts are shit.

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Goes back to my earlier sentiment (and I was almost... Or just starting to convert, too) that all rep gmt inserts are shit.

Noob Pepsi is pretty good on the marker filler but inexplicably they can't get the color transitions perfect. It's about the only one I have that I haven't needed to paint mod.

LaraA

15/3/11
What’s the best way not to lose the paint from the bezel ?
Don’t let the watch come near salt water ?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
What’s the best way not to lose the paint from the bezel ?
Don’t let the watch come near salt water ?

Don't ever touch the insert so it doesn't get dirty and need cleaning. Don't wear it in hazardous environmental conditions like the beach. Never get it wet. That's the best you can do for it.

anton11123

Looking Around
15/8/18
Not sure if i missed it but is there any talk about the V9F LN on this thread? I am wondering how it would stack up against the VRF. I am really turned off ARF movement issues

Roli19

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/6/20
Germany
Don't ever touch the insert so it doesn't get dirty and need cleaning. Don't wear it in hazardous environmental conditions like the beach. Never get it wet. That's the best you can do for it.

Does the gen also lose the paint from the bezel or is this only a rep issue?

dharma

F.a.i.g.a. addicted
13/11/14
The Hive

Guys, i am very happy of my 116710.....i wear everyday in the last 3 weeks, under the rain on my motorbyke, in the pool, on the beach and under the sea...and I usually clean with alcool in all the parts every 2 or 3 days; you can see in the pics the excellent condition of bezel and bracelet, and mov is perfect; certainly one of the most performing rep ever had on my wrist....