• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Are modern Asian 7750 safe again?

D

d4m.test

My understanding is the 7750 has been improved but it still a movement I'm wary of because its more challenging to find a watchmaker willing to work on one. So if I buy a 7750 and it dies, I might end up with a door stop.

Also, with "keeper" watches, if I have a 2824/2836 go bad, I'll consider having a gen Swiss ETA popped in. Thats not so cheap (or so easy) to do when replacing an Asian 7750. ETA 7750's often cost twice as much as an ETA 2836, adding the gearing mods is a pest - and might cause issues with the gen similar to the issues with an A7750. Theres really no "best value option" for these things, even if you throw a lot of money at them.

So what I tend to do is, if I find a chrono rep I want - and I believe I absolutely *must* have a 7750 versus a Quartz - I buy it off M2M from a member I trust. That way I get it a little cheaper, and someone else has done an extended QA on it for me. So far, this strat has worked (for me). I've got three 7750 based chronos, all purchased used off M2M (@ average 60% of original retail) and so far none of them have crapped out.

I'll add that I also have a handful of Seiko VX powered chronos and love them because they are super cheap, super reliable, and meet my one-yard on-a-moving-arm test of rep perfection.

These are my "general thoughts" about the 7750 :)

Since you are a dealer, I'll add this...

If I was interested in buying a 7750 retail, something that would make one dealer stand out versus another would be the dealer putting extra time into the QC of a 7750. My impression is if you're going to have a serious problem with these it'll show up soon after delivery. So maybe the dealer could keep it prior to shipping a few extra days and put it through its paces. For example, do an initial Timegrapher, then wind it two days in a row and monitor it again to see if its still stable. Then put it on a winder for another three or four days and check it again. That might weed out the worst of them.

Also, having the ability to ship out a complete 7750 replacement movement with adaptive gearing already installed - ready for my watchmaker to pop in - would be great. Having a ready replacement might make it easier for me to find someone willing to fix a broken one. I know most dealers say "ship it back and I'll fix it" but I'm pretty risk averse (and cheap) and don't want to expose myself to Customs Risk (x2) plus the shipping charges to China or wherever - which can be rather steep. I'd much rather ship overnight to Katt or Strodda here in the States so anything I can do to make their job easier is an A+++

Come to think of it, maybe a way for you (as a dealer) to help all dealers would be to reach out to all RWI repair dudes and see if theres anything can be done to help them do what they do - be a source of spare parts, pop-in modules, technical support (or whatever). The easier a 7750 watch is to fix, the less of a barrier a potential breakage is to purchase.

Anyhow, hope this helps.
I hope the factories producing a7750 reps will be more strict with their assembly to avoid dusts and etc. Scary part is that you'll be spending $500 to $800 for the rep but only dies on your hand as early as 2 days.

Sent from my SM-J710GN using Tapatalk

XAD

Renowned Member
15/8/16
I hope the factories producing a7750 reps will be more strict with their assembly to avoid dusts and etc. Scary part is that you'll be spending $500 to $800 for the rep but only dies on your hand as early as 2 days.

The only factory-fresh (non-franken or otherwise modded) rep I've bought in the $800 (retail) range was an AP Tourbillon - and (lucky me?) - its smooth as butter and running like a champ.

The one I worried about the most before buying turned out to be one of the most reliable reps I've got. Heaven help me when that thing needs repair though :D

Frankly when I bought it I assumed it would be a throw-away once worn out. But at waaaaay less than the cost of the $100,000+ gen - and nicely executed - its priced pretty right!

D

d4m.test

The only factory-fresh (non-franken or otherwise modded) rep I've bought in the $800 range was an AP Tourbillon - and (lucky me?) - its smooth as butter and running like a champ.

The one I worried about the most before buying turned out to be one of the most reliable reps I've got. Heaven help me when that thing needs repair though :D

Frankly when I bought it I assumed it would be a throw-away once worn out.
Maybe it's all about being lucky. Some are lemons some are still alive and kicking. This has been happening for years but factories aren't taking actions in improving their QC.

XAD

Renowned Member
15/8/16
Maybe it's all about being lucky. Some are lemons some are still alive and kicking. This has been happening for years but factories aren't taking actions in improving their QC.

Well, this was another case of me leaning on the honesty of well-known M2M sellers when purchasing watches with movements that would worry me.

I understand the situation TD's face - they are small operations pushing out product and have limited time to go over each and every rep they sell.

They are "trusted" but theres no way they'll know the specific watch as well as the previous RWI-member owner I'm buying a used one from.

The Tourby came to me M2M and so have all my 7750's (so far)

D

d4m.test

Well, this was another case of me leaning on the honesty of well-known M2M sellers when purchasing watches with movements that would worry me.

I understand the situation TD's face - they are small operations pushing out product and have limited time to go over each and every rep they sell.

They are "trusted" but theres no way they'll know the specific watch as well as the previous RWI-member owner I'm buying a used one from.

The Tourby came to me M2M and so have all my 7750's (so far)
Yeah. I guess replicas have a far way to go to have that build quality near as branded watches.

D

d4m.test

They are generally good movements, as long as you keep the seconds at 9 layout and change the reversing wheel for a swiss eta. The asian reversing wheels are garbage.
The pinion is a different size for a Swiss vs. Asian 7750 reversing wheel.

maxracingshox

I'm Pretty Popular
17/7/12
The pinion is a different size for a Swiss vs. Asian 7750 reversing wheel.

Nope. I just swapped 2x gen reversing wheels in a7750‘s. Maybe there are different versions? My Noob Pam243 V2 and BP Breitling Navitimer accepted gen reversing wheels however.

Sent from the RWI App

Natas78

Trusted Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
21/8/11
EU
well parts quality has certainly improved, plating of the components is better compared to older reps sporting the 7750, but the real problem is in the assembly and the lack of proper, careful lubrication.
The mainspring is often dry, or improperly lubricated. I'd buy a a7750 chrono in normal ETA layout, unmodified in M2M no problem. They are pretty reliable when you use the chrono sparingly and follow the do's and don'ts.

robertk8

Known Member
23/4/17
Normal 7750 are fine, its the modded 7750 for the ap roo, and tona that suck, oh and the Breitling BlackBird.

D

d4m.test

Nope. I just swapped 2x gen reversing wheels in a7750‘s. Maybe there are different versions? My Noob Pam243 V2 and BP Breitling Navitimer accepted gen reversing wheels however.

Sent from the RWI App
There are different versions of the 7750. I didn't know that wheel fits some (perhaps all) of the current production.

maxracingshox

I'm Pretty Popular
17/7/12
There are different versions of the 7750. I didn't know that wheel fits some (perhaps all) of the current production.
Yeah, the latest ZF portuguese clone movements even have the gen reversing wheel style replicated completely, so there are many different versions.

ado213

Renowned Member
27/4/12
UK
Never thought I'd actually say this, as I am very anti A7750

IMO the 7750's and there complications have moved on, they are far more reliable than say 4 years ago.
Standard configs are pretty safe now, even seconds at 9 are better and are now carrying the Jewel mods as standard.

Don't get me wrong they're not chronometer grade, but are capable now of good to fair time keeping

All still suffer from poor assembly and lack of lube and there is still a "luck of the draw "element on quality.

As with all our rep movements, I just wish one of our TD's would actually start selling spares for these and others

ETA parts are now becoming very expensive and drying up, so come on TD's how about parts to keep our timepieces running, guess it's not in your interest??

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
...so come on TD's how about parts to keep our timepieces running, guess it's not in your interest??

It really should be in their interest to do this. It not only opens up a new inventory of items to sell, but makes the decision to purchase a 7750 equipped rep a much easier choice to make. Maybe we should all petition our TD's to convince the factories of a huge emerging market...

RepPossessed

The UK dealer
Trusted Dealer
10/11/15
N. Ireland
It really should be in their interest to do this. It not only opens up a new inventory of items to sell, but makes the decision to purchase a 7750 equipped rep a much easier choice to make. Maybe we should all petition our TD's to convince the factories of a huge emerging market...

Ive tried to get parts, its an absolute minefield!! I would suggest the guys in china dont want to do it because it takes more work to source a part than it does to sell a watch, and what might they make on a part... so profit -time - effort = not enough.
That mention of a petition is comedy to be honest.

The forums are less than 20% of the replica business so parts buyers could be what 2% of the 20%... its a paltry amount.

so why would they go all out to help a small percentage for little gain. I guarantee at least 1 in 4 parts requests is a dead end..

just being brutally honest with you.

Last edited:
Reactions: rj999

lytnin

WTB ZF IWC Tourbillon Rose/White or Grey/Leather
22/1/19
Villa on the Hill
I’ve been running my chronograph regularly...for various times. I hand wound it too. I am a noob and reset the date right away. I did not notice where the time was when I did that. I’ve also reset the chronograph well past 10 and 2.

However, now that I have stumbled across this post, I will follow the recommendations.

I guess I am safe. I am thinking of getting it serviced too...I do like it and been wearing it daily. I like the chronograph watches almost exclusively and look for all subdials/hands working.

RepPossessed

The UK dealer
Trusted Dealer
10/11/15
N. Ireland
I’ve been running my chronograph regularly...for various times. I hand wound it too. I am a noob and reset the date right away. I did not notice where the time was when I did that. I’ve also reset the chronograph well past 10 and 2.

However, now that I have stumbled across this post, I will follow the recommendations.

I guess I am safe. I am thinking of getting it serviced too...I do like it and been wearing it daily. I like the chronograph watches almost exclusively and look for all subdials/hands working.

Your replying to a very old thread.

7750 are very safe now. They had some problems a few years ago.

If it's working why get it serviced? It's not necessary. After all you don't take a new car for repair if its not faulty.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

lytnin

WTB ZF IWC Tourbillon Rose/White or Grey/Leather
22/1/19
Villa on the Hill
I realize it was old...but not exactly sure how things work on this form...I am new to this hobby and form.

I am glad the bugs are worked out and no need to service/lube as a preventative maintenance.

fireice2

Known Member
4/3/19
I would like a rep with A7750 to function as actual chronograph, not just a design element that happens to function.

Is the lack of feedback from the community in 2019 an indicator that A7750 from 2018 to present are now reliable? Or do members just stay away from reps with A7750?

RepPossessed

The UK dealer
Trusted Dealer
10/11/15
N. Ireland
I would like a rep with A7750 to function as actual chronograph, not just a design element that happens to function.

Is the lack of feedback from the community in 2019 an indicator that A7750 from 2018 to present are now reliable? Or do members just stay away from reps with A7750?

Yes now very reliable