• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Are modern Asian 7750 safe again?

RepPossessed

The UK dealer
Trusted Dealer
10/11/15
N. Ireland
So.. I had too many failures in the past with these, causing problems for some of my customers and hefty repair bills, so I stayed away from buying chronos again and iv'e avoided them for a couple of years. But recently i started taking some orders again and everything has been ok.. thus far..

But recently iv'e seen some comments with people talking about an improved 7750 and that seconds at 9 are OK and much less of a risk.

So whats your general thought's now compared to 7750's of 2/3 years ago?

you have 2 votes

Moldy780

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
21/8/16
To me, these movements will never be reliable. End of story

bobandshawn

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
29/10/13
Florida
My understanding is that they are now fairly reliable if you don't mess with the chronos...

B

maxracingshox

I'm Pretty Popular
17/7/12
They are generally good movements, as long as you keep the seconds at 9 layout and change the reversing wheel for a swiss eta. The asian reversing wheels are garbage. I have seen ZF using a gen like reversing wheel design in their Portuguese chronos though, which is very promising. They are also the first company to have a running sec @6 layout that works!

Reactions: YellowFin

dadog13

Supporter
Certified
15/3/06
If this post was made by a newbie I wonder what would be the comments..

A dealer asking that kind of question?! It's like selling cars and not knowing anything about engines, how?!

Read, read, read..

There are plenty of posts about this. This has been said multiple times. Search button is your friend..and so on, and on..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Doctor76

DocThor

I'm Pretty Popular
18/3/13
Even though I have all my chronos running on swiss 77750 Domi told me that the asian 7750 are okay once revised. Swiss is better but asian is acceptable, especially when one flips his watch after a few month, doesn't handwind it and doesn't fiddle around with the chrono :)

gpplaw

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/6/17
Doc Thor - Pardon my inexperience, but what do you mean by "flip his watch after a few months"? I have a new rep on the way with an a7750 movement, and I wany to do ehat zzI can to preserve the movement. I don't care about the chronos and will just lock down the pushers and leave them alone.
Thanks

nikoel

I'm Pretty Popular
22/2/16

A dealer asking that kind of question?! It's like selling cars and not knowing anything about engines, how?!

Read, read, read..

There are plenty of posts about this. This has been said multiple times. Search button is your friend..and so on, and on..

Dude! Did you just treat one of our TD's like he is a f#%€ing Noob?!

You have twice the posts than I do; you should know much better than that

Look his question was in regards to current reliability of the 7750 and what may have changed in the couple of years; not a general question about the movement. He sells them!

Now to answer your question I run my Chrono around 6 times a day to time my flights. Had the oldest 7750 rep for 2 years. Nil problems - it's my second most worn watch behind my hulk. Maybe I got lucky?! I only reset the second hand at 10-2pm and change the date at 5:30am - never turn the crown to power the movement

Sent from the RWI App

Reactions: witchywatch423

RepPossessed

The UK dealer
Trusted Dealer
10/11/15
N. Ireland
Yes its meant as a discussion, I just wanted to hear other people thoughts on the matter and guage an up-to-date opinion /poll rather than just look at the threads with generic responses with very short replies just saying "theyre crap"..and so on

It's a question I get asked often.. and it's one I find difficult to answer because, I havent bought many in the last few years, and I've had previous issues with them when i did in the past.

Anyway since the post has been made I've been buying some chronos and I have much more confidence in them nowadays.

Yes i'm a dealer but I still have a duty of care to my customers not to sell them something i dont have confidence in, and i dont think its a bad thing that im asking a question... I dont know everything about the actual movements I admit that.

RepPossessed

The UK dealer
Trusted Dealer
10/11/15
N. Ireland

Look his question was in regards to current reliability of the 7750 and what may have changed in the couple of years; not a general question about the movement. He sells them!

Now to answer your question I run my Chrono around 6 times a day to time my flights. Had the oldest 7750 rep for 2 years. Nil problems - it's my second most worn watch behind my hulk. Maybe I got lucky?! I only reset the second hand at 10-2pm and change the date at 5:30am - never turn the crown to power the movement

Sent from the RWI App

Thanks for the constructive reply.

RepPossessed

The UK dealer
Trusted Dealer
10/11/15
N. Ireland

Read, read, read..

You really shouldn't hold a grudge mate. It's months now..

Peace..

Have a great day

Rusty chain

Known Member
16/4/15
Doc Thor - Pardon my inexperience, but what do you mean by "flip his watch after a few months"? I have a new rep on the way with an a7750 movement, and I wany to do ehat zzI can to preserve the movement. I don't care about the chronos and will just lock down the pushers and leave them alone.
Thanks

I read it to mean sell the watch after a few months.

dadog13

Supporter
Certified
15/3/06

Sent from the RWI App

Dude, pal, chap, bro mr. defensive lawyer and so on..

I treat people in the same way they treat me. He was the 1st one calling me names in another thread/post and I have seen this post after and answered what I answered. I still think I was not too harsh, he can and he knows how to use the search button (that way usually noobs are treated when they ask the same question and finally if you are selling something you better know what you are selling, don't you think so?! Not too much confidence in dealers from my side if they do not know about the stuff they sell).

Now, Mr. dealer is old enough to speak for himself and I have seen a couple of times that he is using his words in not an appropriate way, even asking for forgiveness once he sees he has gone too far..

So dude, anything else to say to me?

RepPossessed

The UK dealer
Trusted Dealer
10/11/15
N. Ireland
I just recently read in another thread by Puretime where he was asking for peoples opinion on a watch which he will be selling... I don't see how this is so different.

RepPossessed

The UK dealer
Trusted Dealer
10/11/15
N. Ireland
Now, Mr. dealer is old enough to speak for himself and I have seen a couple of times that he is using his words in not an appropriate way, even asking for forgiveness once he sees he has gone too far..

I apologised. its hardly a bad thing?

Where i'm from, after an apology we move on from things..Like i said its been months now, why keep digging it up. I mean it was hardly a serious matter was it.
this is a few thread now you have been making a comment.

Please move on.. its just a forum, try not to take things so personally

dadog13

Supporter
Certified
15/3/06
I apologised, its hardly a bad thing.

Where i'm from, after an apology we move on from things..Like i said its been months now, why keep digging it up.

Go up a couple of posts. I said "Peace" as well. Just explained things to the daily advocate who took your side hoping for a discount code..

Let's move on..

XAD

Renowned Member
15/8/16
My understanding is the 7750 has been improved but it still a movement I'm wary of because its more challenging to find a watchmaker willing to work on one. So if I buy a 7750 and it dies, I might end up with a door stop.

Also, with "keeper" watches, if I have a 2824/2836 go bad, I'll consider having a gen Swiss ETA popped in. Thats not so cheap (or so easy) to do when replacing an Asian 7750. ETA 7750's often cost twice as much as an ETA 2836, adding the gearing mods is a pest - and might cause issues with the gen similar to the issues with an A7750. Theres really no "best value option" for these things, even if you throw a lot of money at them.

So what I tend to do is, if I find a chrono rep I want - and I believe I absolutely *must* have a 7750 versus a Quartz - I buy it off M2M from a member I trust. That way I get it a little cheaper, and someone else has done an extended QA on it for me. So far, this strat has worked (for me). I've got three 7750 based chronos, all purchased used off M2M (@ average 60% of original retail) and so far none of them have crapped out.

I'll add that I also have a handful of Seiko VX powered chronos and love them because they are super cheap, super reliable, and meet my one-yard on-a-moving-arm test of rep perfection.

These are my "general thoughts" about the 7750 :)

Since you are a dealer, I'll add this...

If I was interested in buying a 7750 retail, something that would make one dealer stand out versus another would be the dealer putting extra time into the QC of a 7750. My impression is if you're going to have a serious problem with these it'll show up soon after delivery. So maybe the dealer could keep it prior to shipping a few extra days and put it through its paces. For example, do an initial Timegrapher, then wind it two days in a row and monitor it again to see if its still stable. Then put it on a winder for another three or four days and check it again. That might weed out the worst of them.

Also, having the ability to ship out a complete 7750 replacement movement with adaptive gearing already installed - ready for my watchmaker to pop in - would be great. Having a ready replacement might make it easier for me to find someone willing to fix a broken one. I know most dealers say "ship it back and I'll fix it" but I'm pretty risk averse (and cheap) and don't want to expose myself to Customs Risk (x2) plus the shipping charges to China or wherever - which can be rather steep. I'd much rather ship overnight to Katt or Strodda here in the States so anything I can do to make their job easier is an A+++

Come to think of it, maybe a way for you (as a dealer) to help all dealers would be to reach out to all RWI repair dudes and see if theres anything can be done to help them do what they do - be a source of spare parts, pop-in modules, technical support (or whatever). The easier a 7750 watch is to fix, the less of a barrier a potential breakage is to purchase.

Anyhow, hope this helps.

Reactions: witchywatch423