• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP ROO datewheel production.

jimmy6

Renowned Member
1/4/12
Is your guy actually also producing the datewheel or is he just doing the "graphics"?

tinitonsi

Respected Member
Patron
Certified
21/3/14
Thanks brother I remember our discussions regarding this and your input has been invaluable for me. ;)
You're so kind bro, but you know I never gave you any input. Of course I was obsessed (because of you) to get the correct DW mag in my Frankens but I didn't have the skill (or cojones, lol) to find a solution for that, like you...

el_assamite

Getting To Know The Place
13/7/10
Great job indeed! I fully support you and will follow the topic.
You talked about the possibility to develop a DW for the Diver. It would be great for my V7! Are you planning to produce some models for the ETA 2842 too?
Again, great project!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

madq8

Getting To Know The Place
12/5/14
Great job man,, are the date wheels for 44mm or only 42mm??

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Great job indeed! I fully support you and will follow the topic.
You talked about the possibility to develop a DW for the Diver. It would be great for my V7! Are you planning to produce some models for the ETA 2842 too?
Again, great project!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

The black base datewheel for the LWO movement (ETA2892) would fit the A2824/ETA2842 movements as well and can be used for the rep drivers.

Reactions: Allure

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
You're so kind bro, but you know I never gave you any input. Of course I was obsessed (because of you) to get the correct DW mag in my Frankens but I didn't have the skill (or cojones, lol) to find a solution for that, like you...

You do remember our conversation where we discussed this in some detail, along with the cyclop types to use. It's funny how such a minor problem necessitates such a measure to resolve it.
It would be funny indeed if JF decides to come out with the correct datewheel midway into my project though hahaha. [emoji23]

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
[MENTION=31341]legend[/MENTION], thank you so very much for this. I am also willing to help out with anything I can - I just sold the gen ROO from my gen/franken rubberclad comparison but have photos of all the days from the DW. Mine certainly had a rather off white colour, more yellowish than white (not sure if the photos show that).

What's more, I have (supposedly) a 3120 dw coming my way, so let me know if that's of interest for the project (I do have a spare Noob DW but that is easily accessible I guess anyways).

Cheers buddy for your (and the other members') efforts!

Thanks for your kind offer mate but I do own some gens myself and I've stripped one of the watches to get to the datewheel.
The gen AP caliber datewheel is unmistakable, the gears are totally different from the ETA/rep ones and you just need to note that it cannot be used for any franken projects unless you're also using a gen AP caliber to fit it in.
Thank you kindly once again.

tinitonsi

Respected Member
Patron
Certified
21/3/14
You do remember our conversation where we discussed this in some detail, along with the cyclop types to use. It's funny how such a minor problem necessitates such a measure to resolve it.
It would be funny indeed if JF decides to come out with the correct datewheel midway into my project though hahaha. [emoji23]

I remember, bro
Thx for making it true. 1st with the cyclops (mk1, 2 & mk3) and now with this project...
Huge CONGRATS, indeed [emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319]

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I remember, bro
Thx for making it true. 1st with the cyclops (mk1, 2 & mk3) and now with this project...
Huge CONGRATS, indeed [emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319]

I hope that this project will be successful bro and that the congratulations are well deserved. The printing needs to be very precise if the dates are to be centered perfectly. That's one huge hurdle to cross

tinitonsi

Respected Member
Patron
Certified
21/3/14
Ok so while I was traveling and having a whiskey, my ever efficient partner for the datewheel project sent me the trace for the datewheel. He has produced three different variants for the sake of visualization but we have yet to decide which to produce.

469c64836648985021322fbce40e11d8.jpg

We have focused on the following in order to produce a true 1:1 AP datewheel

1. Font type has to be not just close, but 1:1. This was traced from an actual gen AP datewheel so I believe that this criteria is achieved.

2. The font size needs to be correct. This would be for each of the 31 dates. The font size would be designed to be correct when used with the LWO cyclop for frankens and with the stock rep cyclop for the A7750 variants.

3. The font stroke needs to be of the correct thickness.

4. The size and spacing variations between fonts for different days need to be captured accurately. For example, the "2" for day 21 is bigger than the "2" for day 23. There are multiple subtle size and spacing differences for the fonts on different days and they are definitely not uniform. This needs to be represented accurately they form part of the AP ROO datewheel character.

The next step would be to put the font on the datewheel and produce a vector drawing ready for print. This remains the most crucial part of the entire process and would determine if the project would be a success. Please stay tuned.

Message crafted while riding a leathery juvenile T-Rex and charging toward the horizon.

The font is so damn close, wow [emoji15]

495404038b4ce90bc09f30ec0dfcc4e9.jpg

jimmy6

Renowned Member
1/4/12
We would be producing the actual datewheels but the graphics are an essential part of the process.

Thanks for the reply. I should have expressed myself more clearly. Are the datewheels printed/manufactured by the same guy who is doing the graphics or do you still have to find someone who can manufacture and print datewheels?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Thanks for the reply. I should have expressed myself more clearly. Are the datewheels printed/manufactured by the same guy who is doing the graphics or do you still have to find someone who can manufacture and print datewheels?

Thank you for the clarification as well.
We have to outsource the printing and are in talks with a prospective printer now.

chris3007

Mythical Poster
24/8/13
I really like that project. But please don't forget, the only way to sell something here at RWI is the M2M section.

Sent from my iPhone 6

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I really like that project. But please don't forget, the only way to sell something here at RWI is the M2M section.

Sent from my iPhone 6

I never said that I would be selling this here Chris. Neither have I tried to sell this via PMs. Thanks for the reminder though.