• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP ROO datewheel production.

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
I've got a feeling the 2892 and 2836 DW's are the same? If so I'll be wanting a white on black for sure. Awesome project.

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
[MENTION=31341]legend[/MENTION], thank you so very much for this. I am also willing to help out with anything I can - I just sold the gen ROO from my gen/franken rubberclad comparison but have photos of all the days from the DW. Mine certainly had a rather off white colour, more yellowish than white (not sure if the photos show that).

What's more, I have (supposedly) a 3120 dw coming my way, so let me know if that's of interest for the project (I do have a spare Noob DW but that is easily accessible I guess anyways).

Cheers buddy for your (and the other members') efforts!

puklat

Getting To Know The Place
5/1/15
Guys,

I would be working with two other members to produce the correct spec datewheel for our ROO frankens and rep. Yes, we all know how ugly the JF ROO datewheels are so let's not bash it now.
The goal is to supply accurate datewheels, literally scanned and copied from one removed from a gen I own, and then reproduced for the ETA2892 movement (franken) and A7750 movement (factory rep).
The date font would be 1:1 and the magnified font size would be correct for both the LWO and A7750 variants.
There would be no need for special cyclops to be used with these datewheels to achieve the correct magnification effect. The primary datewheel background color would be off white for the majority of the units and perhaps 10% in black with white numbers.
The datewheel for the divers might also be produced.
Please stay tuned. I will add pics as I go along.

Message crafted while riding a leathery juvenile T-Rex and charging toward the horizon.

you're the man A !!!! when you workin on it, i know it's perfection

keep me updated

APGP89

Renowned Member
11/12/14
Asia
Guys,

I would be working with two other members to produce the correct spec datewheel for our ROO frankens and rep. Yes, we all know how ugly the JF ROO datewheels are so let's not bash it now.
The goal is to supply accurate datewheels, literally scanned and copied from one removed from a gen I own, and then reproduced for the ETA2892 movement (franken) and A7750 movement (factory rep).
The date font would be 1:1 and the magnified font size would be correct for both the LWO and A7750 variants.
There would be no need for special cyclops to be used with these datewheels to achieve the correct magnification effect. The primary datewheel background color would be off white for the majority of the units and perhaps 10% in black with white numbers.
The datewheel for the divers might also be produced.
Please stay tuned. I will add pics as I go along.

Message crafted while riding a leathery juvenile T-Rex and charging toward the horizon.

can't wait to see this done!

Xsaf

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
29/9/15
Brilliant idea. Would like to have a couple!

zxflamyxz

Getting To Know The Place
18/11/15
why wouldn't the factories produce the correct date wheel then? Any idea?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Ok so while I was traveling and having a whiskey, my ever efficient partner for the datewheel project sent me the trace for the datewheel. He has produced three different variants for the sake of visualization but we have yet to decide which to produce.

469c64836648985021322fbce40e11d8.jpg

We have focused on the following in order to produce a true 1:1 AP datewheel

1. Font type has to be not just close, but 1:1. This was traced from an actual gen AP datewheel so I believe that this criteria is achieved.

2. The font size needs to be correct. This would be for each of the 31 dates. The font size would be designed to be correct when used with the LWO cyclop for frankens and with the stock rep cyclop for the A7750 variants.

3. The font stroke needs to be of the correct thickness.

4. The size and spacing variations between fonts for different days need to be captured accurately. For example, the "2" for day 21 is bigger than the "2" for day 23. There are multiple subtle size and spacing differences for the fonts on different days and they are definitely not uniform. This needs to be represented accurately they form part of the AP ROO datewheel character.

The next step would be to put the font on the datewheel and produce a vector drawing ready for print. This remains the most crucial part of the entire process and would determine if the project would be a success. Please stay tuned.

Reactions: Allure

Mr.Marbella

I'm Pretty Popular
18/3/16
EU
Ok so while I was traveling and having a whiskey, my ever efficient partner for the datewheel project sent me the trace for the datewheel. He has produced three different variants for the sake of visualization but we have yet to decide which to produce.

469c64836648985021322fbce40e11d8.jpg

We have focused on the following in order to produce a true 1:1 AP datewheel

1. Font type has to be not just close, but 1:1. This was traced from an actual gen AP datewheel so I believe that this criteria is achieved.

2. The font size needs to be correct. This would be for each of the 31 dates. The font size would be designed to be correct when used with the LWO cyclop for frankens and with the stock rep cyclop for the A7750 variants.

3. The font stroke needs to be of the correct thickness.

4. The size and spacing variations between fonts for different days need to be captured accurately. For example, the "2" for day 21 is bigger than the "2" for day 23. There are multiple subtle size and spacing differences for the fonts on different days and they are definitely not uniform. This needs to be represented accurately they form part of the AP ROO datewheel character.

The next step would be to put the font on the datewheel and produce a vector drawing ready for print. This remains the most crucial part of the entire process and would determine if the project would be a success. Please stay tuned.

Great brother !

Hopefully all turns out well in the end.

tinitonsi

Respected Member
Patron
Certified
21/3/14
You got it [MENTION=31341]legend[/MENTION] And you know what in talking about, bro
Well done ;)