• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP Gen owners- is it worth it? or rep is good enough (For what is worth)

jonathanw

I'm Pretty Popular
6/9/15
I would have to say Gen when it comes to these watches, when you see a lot of reps you start to think they are really good, then when you actually compare to a gen the difference is massive not in any one thing but just looking at it you can tell straight away. Same with diamonds. Some time you think some crystals look amazing until you compare with high carat crystal clear diamond.

Oh really? How would you "tell straight away" Just by looking at a franken gen dial versus looking at that same gen dial but On a gen Watch? does the Genuine dial "knows" it's on a gen vs a franken and then somehow emits an esoteric quality just by being on a gen watch and then you can "just tell straight away"? That's ludicrous !

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/7/11
I've been here a long time also and Ive started to buy gens on particular watches. Recently I went crazy on Rolex's and I'll post a thread soon on the stupidity I have done. LOL

Reps are fun but sometimes you just get fed up with the quality. Rolex was one brand that reps never could mimic in my eyes very well. Too many flaws and I love my gold and TT watches so as you guys know when it comes to precious metal reps they are all pretty much rubbish.

Also I agree with posters above. AP service sucks bigtime. Turnaround is long long time and their movements these days are having big issues.

rcom440

10/11/12
USA
I've been here a long time also and Ive started to buy gens on particular watches. Recently I went crazy on Rolex's and I'll post a thread soon on the stupidity I have done. LOL

Reps are fun but sometimes you just get fed up with the quality. Rolex was one brand that reps never could mimic in my eyes very well. Too many flaws and I love my gold and TT watches so as you guys know when it comes to precious metal reps they are all pretty much rubbish.

Also I agree with posters above. AP service sucks bigtime. Turnaround is long long time and their movements these days are having big issues.

Which Rolex watches did you buy?
I'm thinking about buying some used in good condition Rolex watches but I need to find reputable dealer or a website that sells them in the US. Submariner is my first choice.

The thing about rep is they may look close to gen but they don't feel anything like gen in touch. Recently I was trying AP 15400 and I was surprised how cheep my JF v2 feels like comparing to gen. I know there is big price difference but still. I think some of the JF ROO chronos and Diver v7 feel closer to gen than JF 15400v2.

rld14

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/11/11
Recently got my hands on a V7 diver. It's shockingly close to the real deal.

its also worth pointing out that for the price of the cheapest service on a gen you can buy 4 reps (and service costs of better than double that aren't at all unheard of).

peterpl

24/7/11
Which Rolex watches did you buy?

Man i went crazy lately. LOL. All in the period of 3 months I bought the following. I'm literally broke now. HAHAHA

1) Rolex 116613LB Bluesy
2) Rolex GMT2c 116713LN Twin Tone
3) Rolex Datejust 41 Champagne dial Twin Tone on Jubilee.
4) Rolex Rose Gold Skydweller Sundust Dial
5) Rolex Rose Gold Day Date 40 Chocolate dial

After holdings hundreds and hundreds of reps (BTW I still own over 50 reps now) - the quality is just not the same. Doesnt matter what brand really. Rep will always be rep.

rcom440

10/11/12
USA
Man i went crazy lately. LOL. All in the period of 3 months I bought the following. I'm literally broke now. HAHAHA

1) Rolex 116613LB Bluesy
2) Rolex GMT2c 116713LN Twin Tone
3) Rolex Datejust 41 Champagne dial Twin Tone on Jubilee.
4) Rolex Rose Gold Skydweller Sundust Dial
5) Rolex Rose Gold Day Date 40 Chocolate dial

After holdings hundreds and hundreds of reps (BTW I still own over 50 reps now) - the quality is just not the same. Doesnt matter what brand really. Rep will always be rep.

Nice collection!

peterpl

24/7/11
^ Thanks mate. When I get time I'll do a thread on the watches. Right now working my ass off to try get some of the money I spent back. hahaha.

kazn

Known Member
18/4/15
As a previous AP gen owner I can tell you that their customer service sucked. Anything wrong with the watch - wait an average of 2 months - to get it back.

Owned a skeleton dial and a few 42mm. The skeleton dial was the worst when it came to repairs, servicing etc.

I would only buy gen's these days that aren't available as super-reps. Franck Muller Vanguard is one example. I owned the 45cc and the customer service and experience was excellent.

Franck is living on an island not far from here, so this might be a reason why the customer service and repairs are as quick as filling up your car. I kid you not.

The next gen I am going to buy is a Vanguard Chronograph because the rep is one of the worst that is out there and as far as AP's go, get a JF, get it modded or even go franken and you have a perfect watch.

$5k for a franken AP is about the half of the real value/price for a GEN AP in my opinion. The labour and production costs aren't that hight. If I can get a Franck Muller Chronograph (master of complications) for $12,000 USD, then AP's should be in the same price range.

Also don't underestimate the maintenance costs of a GEN AP. I can assure you, you will buy 3 franken AP's for the maintenance costs of 1 Gen AP over 3-4 years.
Thanks for your input from years of personal experience. Many people buying gen forgot about cost of servicing down the line. Made the same mistake when I started out. Now I only keep a few nice gens that I can get it serviced easily. Speaking to a reputable watchmaker recently there is no one in my country that can even service an AP. Imagine the hassle of sending it overseas

Sent from the RWI mobile app

kazn

Known Member
18/4/15

Same boat here :) love Rolex and they are worth all the money. Servicing is not too bad compared to other brands. Took 4 weeks usually and you pretty much get a new watch back.

Panerais on the other hand is totally shit and they charged heaps and heaps ! I was quoted $2400 USD to service an older ETA 7750 model. It had a scratched dial and since I can't get it anywhere I had to bite the bullet and get it done. Never another gen pam thanks. They can go ******

However Rolex does get boring that's why we are here getting reps!![emoji23]

Sent from the RWI mobile app

jonny727

24/8/15
Oh really? How would you "tell straight away" Just by looking at a franken gen dial versus looking at that same gen dial but On a gen Watch? does the Genuine dial "knows" it's on a gen vs a franken and then somehow emits an esoteric quality just by being on a gen watch and then you can "just tell straight away"? That's ludicrous !

Hmmmm Sounds like a retarred question!!! (" how do compare a genuine dial with a genuine part") well I obviously wasn't talking about a Franken as that has actual genuine parts so that would be looking at a gen part wouldn't it??!! So you just compared me looking at a genuine part wth a genuine part?? Hmm sounds clever!! Plus talking about some reps not all!! Also if you can read I was saying you can tell straight away with high end complex pieces when you are directly comparing.

As per my diamond analogy this is only when comparing directly!!

So so I stand by my comments!!!!

How would you tell when looking at a gen dial with a gen dial hahahaha what a ridiculous question I didn't mention Frankens which have actual gen parts!!! To quote you "ludicrous" haha

jonathanw

I'm Pretty Popular
6/9/15
Ok [MENTION=111391]jonny727[/MENTION] so you would be able to tell a real mined carbon from a real Lab made diamond just by looking at it? I highly doubt so and if you are actually capable (I have seen experts try with naked eye and they just can't) then you are a very special person and are just one of the few in the world, if any. And I'm talking about not using special equipment, just visual examination.

Also I dare you try find which is gen and which is rep by looking at a Marlin modded Swiss ETA/Unitas 6497 movement versus a real OP caliber OPXI I am willing to bet you wouldn't "just can tell" on it and if you actually can, 10 out of 10, then you Sir indeed have an esoteric gift not available to any one else.

jonny727

24/8/15
[MENTION=112182]jonathanw[/MENTION] once again picking out things I did not say!! plus again I was talking about a crystal and a diamond not a mined diamond and a man made diamond, I see you can read but not comprehend! Also I said some watches not all, so don't try and fire examples at me when I was just talking about some pieces. Also I said some reps and some gens. Of course some you can't tell I have some amazing reps that you can't tell. I just said some you can which is true!!!! Oh my god did I say 10 out of 10 or everytime???? No I didn't!!! I said sometimes you can, and everyone knows with some pieces you can that's why there are endless forum discussions discussing these minor details.

jonathanw

I'm Pretty Popular
6/9/15
[MENTION=111391]jonny727[/MENTION] fair enough mate, don't take me wrong although I misread you initially so I commented in a cynical mode but now I know what you mean. I agree with you on this now that you explained. It's funny man, I have a noob V4 AP FC diver with prof 2xAR and correct DW, sunken bezel screws and polished Case. A colleague of mine has the exact same one but gen, I have never told him mine is fake and he can't even tell even side by side ! Ha!

I know, if he compared intentionally and using a Loupe he would know or at least doubt about mine! But gen owners don't obsess on the details and QCs nearly half as we!

alliwant

13/12/15
To me the Royal Oak Series is worth going gen, but its not worth to live with one. at least for me. I used to have a gen 36mm RO and maintance cost are ridiculous.

I might get my self another gen ap in 10-20 years but definetly not earlier.

Regarding the Offshore Series i would never go gen on a diver as the diver is one of the best reps i ever had.

jonathanw

I'm Pretty Popular
6/9/15
To me the Royal Oak Series is worth going gen, but its not worth to live with one. at least for me. I used to have a gen 36mm RO and maintance cost are ridiculous.

I might get my self another gen ap in 10-20 years but definetly not earlier.

Regarding the Offshore Series i would never go gen on a diver as the diver is one of the best reps i ever had.

That is correct, all ceramic, SS and FC AP divers modded and from a good factory are impossible to tell on the wrist.

jonny727

24/8/15
[MENTION=112182]jonathanw[/MENTION] no problem mate, I know what you mean I'm loving my new Aqua terra it is identical, unless you have a magnifying glass and half an hour of examining there is no chance of spotting the difference. They are getting soo good. Good choice of with the AP nice to hear there is no difference with the gen.