• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP Gen owners- is it worth it? or rep is good enough (For what is worth)

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Gen Dials, hands and movements are finished much better than any replica. But Gen AP watches cost alot of money. I still think LWO 283 or ETA 28XX based Frankens make sense for ROOs, even with the price appreciation on OEM AP dials in the grey market. The Chinese have come a long way in case manufacture.

WatchKnob

SUPPORTING VENDOR
Supporting Vendor
10/6/13
USA
I don't think I've chimed in on this as a multiple gen AP owner. I will NOT EVER buy a gen AP again based on the RO reps I've bought even tho I've only had gen divers and gen ROO's and not had the actual rep version of gens I've had... I was actually a gen 2nd hand dealer.

absolutely stunning reps... 400$ vs 35k$ haha yeah right..; like there is any contest. just swap out w gen parts anything you consider obvious

kazn

Known Member
18/4/15
To be honest, I got my first AP (YG RO) from the AP Boutique in late 1990. it is the old 36mm model which the serial number suggested that it was produced in 1988 but it seems a bit too expensive at that time thus it sit in the shop for two years.

I only had it serviced twice over the years (as the service bills were shocking, one of the quotation from AP even over USD$12,000:hypnotized:) but it is still running strong. Some of my Rolex (especially my 18013) in fact got more problems then my APs.

But I can confirm one thing, if you are confidence enough, even you wear a rep, people believe it is a gen. I pull off my VC Malte Tourbillon rep quite well:punk:
Thanks for your input. 12k service is definitely not for the light hearted!!! I felt nauseous just thinking about it [emoji32]

Sent from the RWI mobile app

709394hk

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/11/12
It was quoted a year ago by AP asian service center, including fitting a new dial, two new hands with updated modern lume. It also included everything new to be reproduced back in Swiss except the movement (new 18k YG case, new crystal, new 18k YG band). Looks like they try to throw me a new watch:helpsmilie:

dwjpaypal

Renowned Member
Certified
24/9/10
Thought I would chime in here.

Currently got a gen AP 15400, and two JF's, one blue dial and one RG.

I've been battling with myself for the last month, but honestly, I can't justify the gen over the rep. So much so that the gen 15400 is now on eBay!!

The rep's details are amazing- if they could improve on one minor thing it's the couple of mm difference in caseback, but apart from that, it really is the same watch, and that's coming from someone who has both and can wear either any day of the week.

Hope this helps.

DJ

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
24/7/11
$12k service? Might as well just buy a new one. LOL that is ridiculous price tag.

dan89

Renowned Member
4/9/16
AP is in its own class man. Gen is too expensive lol. And kudos to Noob and JF, it's not easy to rep AP in terms of shapes and aesthetics and they have come these close. (and of course if you factor out in-house movement (open back case design of course), I think close to none had actually made it right so far for any brand except the PAM111? (correct me if I am wrong)

TheSociety

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/8/15
CONUS
On the The wrist no one can tell. Once you start handling the GEN you can tell it apart right away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rld14

5/11/11
I own a Gen, and I have a JF 15400 incoming from Silix as we speak... when it arrives I'll let you know.

That being said, I am not convinced that the real thing is 400x better than a replica.

peterpl

Supporter
Certified
24/7/11
Agree on the wrist its very hard to tell esp 44mm ROOS and Divers. Its when you play with the movement/crown you know straight away.

The Gen diver feels almost identical to the rep in the hand without playing with the crown. I have held it more than 20 times and that is an AP i would never buy a gen of.

gigahertz15

19/11/13
I reckon you can tell on the wrist- just depends on whether the other person knows their stuff or not. If they look for DW position and thickness, then sometimes it is pretty obvious.
It is also obvious if you work a 9-5 job and have a platinum schumi on haha.

rld14

5/11/11
I own a Gen, and I have a JF 15400 incoming from Silix as we speak... when it arrives I'll let you know.

That being said, I am not convinced that the real thing is 400x better than a replica.

It came today.

Nice watch. No way am I selling my Genuine.

Up close the dial is a tell. In hand the band is a dead giveaway. On the wrist? Only a super watch geek would ever know.

rcom440

10/11/12
USA
It came today.

Nice watch. No way am I selling my Genuine.

Up close the dial is a tell. In hand the band is a dead giveaway. On the wrist? Only a super watch geek would ever know.

Which color dial you are talking about?
Did you get it in bracelet or leather strap?
I'm thinking about buying gen 15400.

rld14

5/11/11
Which color dial you are talking about?
Did you get it in bracelet or leather strap?
I'm thinking about buying gen 15400.

My bad. Bracelet, SS, black dial.

Look, for what, $350 shipped or whatever it was it's a great watch. My gen cost over 34x that. So, yeah, the real thing damned well better be a lot nicer :)

rcom440

10/11/12
USA
My bad. Bracelet, SS, black dial.

Look, for what, $350 shipped or whatever it was it's a great watch. My gen cost over 34x that. So, yeah, the real thing damned well better be a lot nicer :)

I've seen gen 15400 (with white and black dials) many times but I never compared JF rep to gen side by side.
I live close to AP boutique and some ROO are killers! People who say that reps (even with mods) are very close to gen are ether lying to themselves or never had gen APs in their hands.
However, JF Diver v7 may be exemption.

Darkimplicates

Renowned Member
25/9/16
I've seen gen 15400 (with white and black dials) many times but I never compared JF rep to gen side by side.
I live close to AP boutique and some ROO are killers! People who say that reps (even with mods) are very close to gen are ether lying to themselves or never had gen APs in their hands.
However, JF Diver v7 may be exemption.

Why is that so? Im planning to get the JF Diver V7. Whats yout take on it compared to the gen since you touched them before.

rcom440

10/11/12
USA
Why is that so? Im planning to get the JF Diver V7. Whats yout take on it compared to the gen since you touched them before.

In my opinion it's best AP rep ever made. Flaws are so small that it don't bother me - date window, thickness of font on the bazel, slightly-very slightly lighter rubber strap than gen rubber.
But those flaws are so small you need to really squint your eyes when you compare them next to each other. JF did really amazing job with Diver v7.
Diver v7 is the only rep I would wear to AP store ;)

rcom440

10/11/12
USA
[MENTION=135858]Darkimplicates[/MENTION]
Also when it comes to gen rubber strap, over time it becomes lighter in color when worn on the sun so it can be matching the one that come with JF diver so slightly lighter rubber strap isn't concern.
So buy v7 with closed back and enjoy it.
You can get low beat mod too which is nice.

Darkimplicates

Renowned Member
25/9/16
In my opinion it's best AP rep ever made. Flaws are so small that it don't bother me - date window, thickness of font on the bazel, slightly-very slightly lighter rubber strap than gen rubber.
But those flaws are so small you need to really squint your eyes when you compare them next to each other. JF did really amazing job with Diver v7.
Diver v7 is the only rep I would wear to AP store ;)

Thanks for your reply.

About the date font,
I saw Ryan Intime selling a V7 with ETA clone and his description says "updated correct AP Font" with double AR on cyclop etc. That cost $100 more compared to the usual one. Do u think its worth ?

rcom440

10/11/12
USA
Thanks for your reply.

About the date font,
I saw Ryan Intime selling a V7 with ETA clone and his description says "updated correct AP Font" with double AR on cyclop etc. That cost $100 more compared to the usual one. Do u think its worth ?

You don't need double AR if you want your watch look gen. Genuines APs don't have 2xAR. Can I see that ETA clone and I will tell u about the font. Just post pic here.