• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP Gen owners- is it worth it? or rep is good enough (For what is worth)

kazn

Known Member
18/4/15
Hi folks, this might be a strange question to ask here, but I just want to get some opinion from owners (or ex owners) of gen AP

(Other than the fact that it is a gen AP)- Is the actual product that much better than a good / super rep? I am talking about the look / material / design / feel in real life / handling...etc

Reason I am asking is that I am ready to make my next gen purchase (budget 20-25k USD), and AP FC Diver is on my wish list. This is a purchase I want to hold on for at least 5 years.

After doing a bit of digging around on gen AP forums I see lots of complaints from gen owner, which frankly is quite shocking, things like:
  • Ceramic corner on the FC diver chipped off (watch wasn't even worn as a beater)
  • Date wheel stuck on a newly purchased AP (funny the date wheel on my Noob ceramic diver actually had this problem and I had to send it back to Toro which he fixed for free :laugh:)
  • Chrono botton falls off (and there was a rumor that the chrono bottons were glued on?- on a gen that is!! lol)
  • Inaccurate (some reporting up to 30 seconds + off / 24 hours)
  • Bad experience with service center (not getting things fixes properly, long wait)

Problem with asking this question on gen forum is that AP owners (who a lot of them are just rich kids and non-WIS) generally try to sweet talk about their preferred brand (oh yea AP is busy, just need to wait, oh it's all hand made so this is expected, you get this with other brands like Rolex...etc). To me this is just biased BS !! and when you are paying a new car money for a watch you would expect better (and you should!)

I currently own 3 gen Rolex (Sub C, GMT IIC, Exp II) and after handling the super / good rep equivalent models I actually decided to buy gen only. The telling part for me is the handling-
  • Gen Rolex just feels gen - the bracelet is finer / more detailed than the best rep out there. There is no play anywhere on the watch.
  • When you operate the crown - the unscrewing , the clicking when you change the date wheel and when you pull the crown to the second position - it all felt so solid and robust

I wouldn't say the same about gen Panerais (especially the 6497 closed back reps)- went to AD last week and tried on a 111 - lol I actually thought the Noob rep had better lume!!:laugh:

Couple of other watches I am looking at (but without some minor faults)
  • Breguet Marine 5817 (can't seem to find too many owners out there)
  • H Moser (beautiful dial but a bit too dressy and 3atm WR sucks)
  • F P Journe Chronometre Bleu (again no WR)

Thanks for your feedback in advance!

D

d4m.test

Sounds like a good joke:)
Belongs to the Big Three: Audemars, Vacheron, JLC: Tradition, craftmanship, finish, tapisserie dial and movements are up and beyond anything else. They are very noticeably different from the rep on the wrist, up and beyond Rolex as well.
As for choices, You should allow for the luxury of a 39mm Royal Oak gen instead of an FC Diver, as for this specific model all the brands "Grandeur" might apply a bit less as carbon fibers mixed with resin remain what they are, just carbon fibers, even if they are turbostratic or whatever, a nice and modern marketing gag, the place for carbon fibers is on racecars.
That budget should even allow for a gold model - just treat Yourself well.

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/7/11
I wouldnt be buying a FC Diver is if was looking at a gen ROO. All the divers these days a good enough to NOT justify spending the 20k-25k.

Go for a Chrono ROO I reckon either 42mm versions or 44mm versions (might have to get 2nd hand or grey market).

jimmy6

Renowned Member
1/4/12
Sounds like a good joke:)
Belongs to the Big Three: Audemars, Vacheron, JLC: Tradition, craftmanship, finish, tapisserie dial and movements are up and beyond anything else. They are very noticeably different from the rep on the wrist, up and beyond Rolex as well.
As for choices, You should allow for the luxury of a 39mm Royal Oak gen instead of an FC Diver, as for this specific model all the brands "Grandeur" might apply a bit less as carbon fibers mixed with resin remain what they are, just carbon fibers, even if they are turbostratic or whatever, a nice and modern marketing gag, the place for carbon fibers is on racecars.
That budget should even allow for a gold model - just treat Yourself well.

They are not even carbon fibers :p. The forged carbon is basically made out of chunks of carbon which are moulded together under heat and pressure.

Other than that the gens have a different level of finish. You will have to face the same "issues" that annoyed you on the Rolex reps.

You might also want to have a look at the entry level Pateks such as the Aquanaut 5167 etc.

hoanghung45

Renowned Member
12/10/14
Rep and gen could look the same in pictures, but whenever you handle the gen, mind blowing is all i can say ! Especially when it comes to PP, VC, AP
Having all said, you have to get yourself into certain class in order to appreciate their designs & craftsmanships
EK9GC0O.jpg

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
I found my money better spent on decent boutique brands. I've got a dive watch with a 1000m WR that was around $1500. Uses a high grade Valgrange movement and hand machined by one guy. UTS Muenchen. Also the modular H2O Orca series, another 1000m proper dive watch with unreal lume. I have one brand name gen that's a little obscure - Eterna Kontiki 1000m (the Porsche P something it became). Again a proper dive watch. No gen big boys for me!!

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I found my money better spent on decent boutique brands. I've got a dive watch with a 1000m WR that was around $1500. Uses a high grade Valgrange movement and hand machined by one guy. UTS Muenchen. Also the modular H2O Orca series, another 1000m proper dive watch with unreal lume. I have one brand name gen that's a little obscure - Eterna Kontiki 1000m (the Porsche P something it became). Again a proper dive watch. No gen big boys for me!!

Wisely chosen. The reason why the AP diver costs so much more than your $1500 one (or the rest) is only due to brand and not performance at all.

Reactions: Allure

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
Wisely chosen. The reason why the AP diver costs so much more than your $1500 one (or the rest) is only due to brand and not performance at all.

Also boutique brands a little more unusual too in the watch capital of Hong Kong. Nice to be different when not consumed by my AP reps!!

theREALgoat

Patron
Certified
14/8/14

A $1,500 diver is not likely to have high costs of labor, high quality components, nor an in house hand-built movement.

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
A $1,500 diver is not likely to have high costs of labor, high quality components, nor an in house hand-built movement.

Actually you're wrong. Of course the investment of machinery for a one man operation is a lot less, and yes it's an off the shelf movement, but no less than any branded watch using a 7750 or other ETA movements. And as for the quality otherwise you should really take a look before making that blanket assessment. Not many watches have display backs and screw crowns that go down to 1000m.

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
And have a look at the Japanese Damascus type bronze and steel cases that H20 uses. Very beautifully made - in Germany. Don't knock them until you've tried them. Brand names aren't everything.

Mr.Marbella

I'm Pretty Popular
18/3/16
EU
Well, I would say it depends on you.

Some Franken APs are absolutely stunning ! For someone to tell the difference between them, is close to impossible ( when on your wrist ).

I agree with legend, most of the price is name branding and worldwide marketing.

Take a look at the Gen Bumblebee comparo...The owner was so impressed with the quality of his JF ( STOCK ) Bumblebee, that he was seriously thinking of selling his GEN.

But on the other hand, being able to spend 20-25k on a watch is a milestone. You only live once :laugh:

tinitonsi

Patron
Certified
21/3/14
I sold a gen Panda when I first handle a Franken. Because I decided to make 3 or 4 frankens with a single Gen price.

image_zpsaw3wrclv.jpg

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
If you ever saw a postal boy with a panda on his wrist and an incredible tale to tell, let me know bro. Lol

Message crafted while riding a leathery juvenile T-Rex and charging toward the horizon.

Reactions: Allure

glay78

Supporter
Certified
9/1/13
I believe not only one is unable to tell its a franken AP on wrist, even close inspection might not tell. That's what I feel. Unless scrutinized with a gen side by side or a real AP owner and expert.

peterpl

24/7/11
I've handled many Gen APs and owned few Rolex/IWC and Brietling gens. TBH NONE of them are worth the price. The only reason why I have my brand new 116613lb Twin Tone Rolex is because the weight difference of the gold. Rep is rubbish.

For the guys saying the gen feels better - I beg to differ greatly unless you handle precious metal pieces like a Skydweller or Day/Date. Any SS piece and Carbon etc etc............they are all the same. Even the weight of the reps are spot on. Let me find you a picture of a REP and GEN AP Diver v7. Its like 2grams off. There is noway anyone in the entire world is going to tell.

Also in real life the finishing of the AP reps along with others like Hublot or IWC are spot on. If you can tell the difference would be via a loupe and 100x zoom. No one has superman vision. I sold my Gen IWC 3777 and Hublot Big Bang Steel/Ceramic after I bought the reps. 100000% not worth the gen prices

Reactions: Islayman