• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Another Moonswatch metal case project

qjai89

Getting To Know The Place
28/1/24
Does anyone else have issues with the dial being loose with the crown unscrewed? I'm using the vk case from AliExpress and v4 caseback mould. Wondering if I'm missing something or if I should use a different version of the case holder. Thanks!

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Leave the crown unscrewed and put on the caseback. it will lock the holder in place

Depending on the case you have, you might need the metal ring inside the plastic rep, or put a bit of foam tape inside the caseback

Reactions: Caboose

qjai89

28/1/24
Leave the crown unscrewed and put on the caseback. it will lock the holder in place

Depending on the case you have, you might need the metal ring inside the plastic rep, or put a bit of foam tape inside the caseback
Thanks! Yea seems like mine won't really lock in place so used some 3m tape to make a small spacer on the side towards the caseback to tighten it up. Hard to align the dial to directly center though.

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Thanks! Yea seems like mine won't really lock in place so used some 3m tape to make a small spacer on the side towards the caseback to tighten it up. Hard to align the dial to directly center though.

The final bezel alignment is done after you lock the caseback.

there are two schools (three)
1. Separate the bezel itself, align and use a crystal press (Caboose does that)
2a. Lift the bezel insert only with a scalpel, and align and finger press (I do that)
2b. If you are lucky, sometimes the case is provided with the insert unglued

1. if you are not careful, and use too much force. you can trash everything 😅
2. you can sometimes damage the insert

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Also be careful. The dial is sometimes loose in the case. if you move the insides too roughly, the rehaut will scratch the dial

Caboose

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS
So the little black metal ring that came with your Moonswatch (between the bezel and dial) should sit inside the caseback behind the movement holder. This allows no binding when you turn the caseback to get it snug, and should prevent play.

Got20Mate

Hunting for the perfect Speedy rep!
Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
So the little black metal ring that came with your Moonswatch (between the bezel and dial) should sit inside the caseback behind the movement holder. This allows no binding when you turn the caseback to get it snug, and should prevent play.
Its exactly this - Worked for mine

Reactions: Karbon74

qjai89

28/1/24
Interesting. Mine didn't come with a black metal ring.

qjai89

28/1/24
The final bezel alignment is done after you lock the caseback.

there are two schools (three)
1. Separate the bezel itself, align and use a crystal press (Caboose does that)
2a. Lift the bezel insert only with a scalpel, and align and finger press (I do that)
2b. If you are lucky, sometimes the case is provided with the insert unglued

1. if you are not careful, and use too much force. you can trash everything 😅
2. you can sometimes damage the insert
What I meant was the dial itself isn't sitting in the case centered. Not the bezel. I think caboose is onto something since my movement had a plastic holder that doesn't fit in the 3d print holder but not the plastic black ring he spoke of

Caboose

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS
Interesting. Mine didn't come with a black metal ring.
It's in the plastic watch between the bezel and the dial and generally falls out. You can of course use anything to fill the void but this is what I have used on about 30+ watches at this point. Originally I used a bezel spring on my first five, but this was too expensive and the black ring is free and just as effective.

Last edited:
Reactions: Karbon74

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
on this one, I used @Caboose movement holder plus a piece of steel wire to create a « spring » between the holder and the caseback.

the dial of the Pagani is too large to fit into the plastic case, so I will probably need to fit it in a metal case

Reactions: Caboose

Eazyjd

Do not accept unsolicited offers
3/10/23
It is the Pagani indeed.
I changed the crown.
Thanks for the answer!
Interessting - in your pictures, the case looks more silver-ish then black. I remember the case quite dark. But it could be the pictures.
Congrats, you beat me to it - I still waiting for the pagani to arrive ;)