• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AliExpress experiments - Non-watch products

jamieroquai

26/12/12
Or you could say how companies are ripping us off selling something 10x the price just because their name is on it

hector

Known Member
8/9/10
Is been like that for years, but thanks to the smart asses who took our factoring to the Chinese's , now they are paying the price and we are taking advantage of it lol

AGL

Renowned Member
7/6/11
Received this lens hood for my canon dslr yesterday. Fits prefectly. Paid $3.7 compared to $30 for the gen. Gen is also just a piece of plastic.

c868e948927f6463e59f7768d8e0f712.jpg

Ali is a great place for camera accessories. I can also recommend the chinese brand yongnuo. They make flashes and even lenses for Canon that get great reviews. Some of their stuff is available on amazon too.

Dakov, awesome purchase compare to gen cost, amazing how cheap manufacturing is kill ing the profits for many companies

I'd be interested to see how these fair against the gens. If the dimensions and measurements of the rep is the same as the gen. Anyone can make a petal shaped hood but if it's not measured right its useless as the light will steal leak.

hector

Known Member
8/9/10
Since is a plastic accessory, i do believe it wont be bad quality, i guess, but who knows the results with chinese rep's until you try them

ZoomBoy

I'm Pretty Popular
9/11/11
Since is a plastic accessory, i do believe it wont be bad quality, i guess, but who knows the results with chinese rep's until you try them

I bought a lens hood for my Canon 50m lens from China. Not on Ali, but same idea - it's a piece of plastic, tolerances are fine. I'd never pay the obscene amounts Canon wants for a plastic ring. I have a gen Canon lens hood on my better L lens and the quality is exactly the same as the rep one.

umirza85

12/6/15
Wow, so lucky. On average it's about 3-4 weeks min to Canada. Half the issue is, 80% of the packages just sit here in Mississauga for a week! I got my girlfriend into Ali as well and I told her if she wants any summer clothes to order NOW or they'll be for 2016.

lol yeah I remember those Mississauga pains. Good call on the summer clothes and ordering now, otherwise she'll have to wait a year to wear them. I actually ordered a couple scarves now in preparation for winter, just some cheapies. But am on the lookout for some decent ones.

I've ordered about 30 things with the last couple weeks and received about half of them. Mostly tools for crafts etc...

whoischich

30/12/14
Received this lens hood for my canon dslr yesterday. Fits prefectly. Paid $3.7 compared to $30 for the gen. Gen is also just a piece of plastic.

c868e948927f6463e59f7768d8e0f712.jpg

Ali is a great place for camera accessories. I can also recommend the chinese brand yongnuo. They make flashes and even lenses for Canon that get great reviews. Some of their stuff is available on amazon too.

Yeah I second this - Yongnuo make some pretty decent camera accessories. If you're looking for camera/flash triggers, flashes, even some pretty decent prime lenses (for the money, that is!) it's not a bad brand to buy. The lenses aren't L quality, but they aren't L price either! :)

dutchwatch

1/7/12
Or you could say how companies are ripping us off selling something 10x the price just because their name is on it

Do not forget that Canon pays for development, production (probably better conditions and higher wages), marketing etc etc. The imitators only have to buy 1 original product and then copy it at production costs and nothing else.

ProFound

17/8/14
yongnuo seems to have a lot of 50mm lenses. Anything telephoto that you guys can recommend?

umirza85

12/6/15
yongnuo seems to have a lot of 50mm lenses. Anything telephoto that you guys can recommend?

I would put lenses up there with sd cards. Good to use, but not for anything serious. Tamron lenses would possibly be the lowest I would go.

whoischich

30/12/14
I would put lenses up there with sd cards. Good to use, but not for anything serious. Tamron lenses would possibly be the lowest I would go.

Yeah the 50mm design is one of the oldest and easiest to replicate. Modern zooms are
complex with various aspherical elements and fancy coatings. Both Tamron and Sigma have really upped their game recently and would make good viable options if you didn't want to drop some serious coin on Canon/Nikon originals.

ProFound

17/8/14
I once tried to order the yongnuo 50mm lens on amazon for $50 after seeing it as a deal on Gizmodo. The reviews have been pretty decent for it. Unfortunately the seller never delivered and issued a refund. I went out and bought the 50mm Canon. I wish I knew about AliExpress at the time. I'm no pro photographer so a knockoff lens would be ok for me if it took half decent photos.

jamieroquai

26/12/12
Yep same for me, I'm no pro, just need to change my Nikon lens that doesn't work properly anymore

SteveSS

Getting To Know The Place
19/2/14
Kind of bummed. My Daniel Wellington watch doesn't work at all and the Winner Automatic watch has a broken band. Filed a dispute and no answers in over a week. Tried

to contact the seller, no response. I guess I have to accept them if I'm going to buy anything else. :(