• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

124060 Comparison: Gen / Clean / VSF

diamonds

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
17/3/21
Great write up and review thank you so much.
Congratulations on the GEN purchase too and what a way to celebrate your birthday 🎂 🥳

Can I ask if the VSF and CF pieces you used to compare are the latest versions please?
Thank you.
Both the Clean and VSF were the latest models. The VSF model was the updated dd3230 release.

Reactions: ktan89

Gibba

Getting To Know The Place
5/8/24
I've found that you can, and it varies from watch to watch. I.e., I have a few and one is super quiet while the others are a little more noticable. 31XX movements have a rotor that sits on an axle and is dead quiet. The 32XX rotor sits on ballbearings and therefore makes some noise. So does the gen.
thanks for the clarification

Reactions: SS72

diamonds

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
17/3/21
Great post. This content is invaluable
Thank you.
It was a process, but I knew many people were curious about the differences between Clean and VSF compared to the Gen 124060, as was I. Since I was fortunate enough to get a gen 124060, and since RWI has taught me well over the years, it was my way of contributing and giving back to the community. We're all in this together.

soulsurfer

Do not accept unsolicited offers
12/9/24
Excellent review and comparison, I now need to look for one like this for GMT IIs🤣

Sub62

26/7/24
Thank you for the comparison. Very nice

hj4reps

MULTI ACCOUNT
2/12/17
@diamonds thanks for all the work and effort you’ve put into this comparison! Greatly appreciated and very helpful.

I purchased a rep vsf 126610 early this year and was not quite satisfied with the SEL which has a bit of play on it and when worn, the SEL can protrude above the case lugs. You can see it in the following pictures when comparing my gen 114060 and the rep vsf 126610. This one particular issue has somewhat affected my enjoyment of wearing this rep.

Gen SEL
Rep SEL

I also purchased a Clean Daytona 116520 and Clean Explorer 1 214270. The SELs are more gen like with better tolerances and fit.

I am looking at purchasing a rep 124060 and was wondering if your vsf has the same SEL issues or maybe hopefully less? Do you know if the Clean bracelet with SEL would work on the vsf rep and maintain the tighter tolerances of how the SELs sit within the lugs.

KonKir

Certified
30/8/24
USA
Is the pip positioned a little to one side? I have similar thing on my VSF so wondering if it’s really an issue…

7CsRocky

20/8/24
Great thread. Can you provide the td who supplied the V

Kramerwg

Patron
Certified
21/4/24
Excellent post, thank you, I’m not sub lover but after reading this post I’m probably gonna get a nodate. :rolleyes:

Reactions: diamonds

ktan89

7/9/24
the uptick on the crown guards is something RWI members, and experts will definitely notice.
I keep looking at this and still can't see it. Can an expert show me please or do I need to see it on the watch physically?

diamonds

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
17/3/21
I keep looking at this and still can't see it. Can an expert show me please or do I need to see it on the watch physically?
The upticks are a detail the average person won't really see, but it's quite noticeable when you know what you're looking at. I showed a close up image of the upticks on post #6, but here it is again. Another plus for VSF. 👍

ktan89

7/9/24
The upticks are a detail the average person won't really see, but it's quite noticeable when you know what you're looking at. I showed a close up image of the upticks on post #6, but here it is again. Another plus for VSF. 👍
Thanks Diamond. I did see post #6, I think a few days ago.

So it is just the curvature on the VSF having a sharper angle?

is it also thicker too?

Looking at all 3, the CG does seem to stop at the same point on the crown - just before midway?

diamonds

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
17/3/21
Is the pip positioned a little to one side? I have similar thing on my VSF so wondering if it’s really an issue…
It's centered perfectly.
It was off center in one photo from when I was rotating the bezel. The rest are optical illusions from various camera angles.

Jaguat1289

Watch Lover....
Supporter
Certified
22/5/20
Somewhere in Italy
Thanks for your review, i really appreciate It!
Overall, having a Gen close to VSF, could you affirm that is hard to spot the differences? On the wirst is almost impossible to tell for sure.

Gibba

5/8/24
I've found that you can, and it varies from watch to watch. I.e., I have a few and one is super quiet while the others are a little more noticable. 31XX movements have a rotor that sits on an axle and is dead quiet. The 32XX rotor sits on ballbearings and therefore makes some noise. So does the gen.

I recently picked up a genuine Rolex Submariner 124060 from my local AD, and I decided to buy the Clean and VSF models to do a full comparison for the benefit all members at RWI. For Clean and VSF, I turned to RWI M2M sales section: thanks to @wjmccaff for Clean 124060 and thanks to @jamsie for the VSF 124060. Both were excellent to deal with.

This is an honest "NO BIAS" review, as a member/buyer, and not a review from a Dealer who may favor one factory over the other because of perks or special deals.

This is a modest review taken with a cell phone camera. All photos were taken at the same time and are natural and unprocessed.

From the start
Both Clean and VSF cases are very close to Gen. On the wrist, no one would notice any case shape differences between the three.

Rehaut and Engravings / Crystal / Hands / Bezel action
Gen is Gen. Rehaut is highly polished and reflective. Engravings are beautiful and consistent. Crystal is wonderfully clear with AR on the full inside.

Clean rehaut is also very well polished and the engravings are sharp and well defined. Crystal is a bit cloudy.

VSF downfall is has always been their rehaut engravings and polishing. VSF crystal is very clear and much better than Clean's crystal.

VSF hands look better, edges are smoother,
with more 3D effect.

Dial printing and finish look really good on both Clean and VSF, but VSF seems to look much nicer: possibly due to the crystal.

Clean bezel action and sound is passable, but there is quite a bit of back-play and feels loose. Bezel click sound is loud and not gen like.

VSF bezel action and sound is extremely close to gen in both feel and sound. Better feel with no back-play. Sound is very gen like.

All 3
A look at all 3 to see

All 3 side view

crown guards
Crown guards on Clean are a bit softer and curved.
VSF has more of the uptick.
Less noticeable on the wrist or to most people, but the uptick on the crown guards is something RWI members, and experts will definitely notice.

Pip
Gen Pip is a prettier white, while remaining soft in appearance.
Clean Pip has a slight greenish tint.
VSF isn't the soft white, but it's very close to gen.

SEL
Both Clean and VSF are looking good, but the edge goes to Clean with tighter tolerances and a more solid look and feel.

Clasp
Clean and VSF did a fine job. Crown logo looks very well detailed.

Crown and winding
Crown when winding/unwinding feels gen like. Winding and hand movements were perfect.
Clean VR3230 movement was butter smooth. In fact, it almost felt too smooth.
VSF (dd3230) movement) felt excellent. But it seemed to give more resitance after winding 24 full rotations.

Bracelet / Clasp / Glidelock
Clean bracelet feels a tad bit better compared to VSF, but not as drastic as people make it out to be. Clean ffitting tolerances are spot on, with VSF having a bit of play. Both are acceptable. The Glidelock is where VSF shines. It's much smoother and is dramatically closer to gen in terms of feel and operation.

*Bonus - ZF bracelet
Special thanks to @jamsie for providing the ZF bracelt and providing his input:
ZF bracelet is very well finished and fitting tolerances are very tight. Glidelock is similar to Clean. Overall, my pick would be the ZF bracelet for the finishing and feel.

Lume
Lumes on Clean and VSF are strong, but VSF looks clearer and stronger thanks to the better crystal used by VSF.

Case marking
Here's the big one...
Clean is using 126610 case.
VSF is marked correctly: 124060.
No one would ever notice, but it's a something buyers should be aware of.

Clean case marking = 126610 = incorrect

VSF case marking = 124060 = correct

Observation
Now I'll be looking over the finer details with a loupe and going over how everything feels in hand and the overall feeling on the wrist.

Summary
The overall closeness between CLEAN & VSF 124060 with the genuine article is very impressive.
As for the review of which is better between Clean vs VSF, there is no "real' winner because each factory has their strong points. Clean has the better rehaut finishing and engravings, and a better bracelet. VSF has the better bezel action, crystal, glidelock, and better movement. That being said, VSF does have the correct 124060 case marking.
Honorable mention: Depending on your point of view, ZF's bracelet is quite possibly better than Clean's bracelet. VSF glidelock is the better than both Clean and ZF.

All in all, the perfect 124060 rep would be a combination of all the strongest parts from the various factories.

Best OOTB 124060,
My pick is VSF.
VSF the better bezel action and sound, more accurate crown guards, clearer crystal, smoother glidelock (which we all will use often), and the better movement. *Bonus to VSF for having the correct 124060 case markings. Even though no one will ever see the case markings, just knowing it's correct is a plus. But the most important aspect is something that can't be shown in photos: "How it Feels." There's something about the way the VSF wears that makes it feel better.

Remember, I'm doing this comparison directly against my genuine Rolex 124060, but my preferances may be different than yours.

It was my pleasure doing this comparison for RWI members. I've learned a lot here and it's only fitting to return the favor and help out. But as we always say: "There is no best rep."
Great comparison,
another clarification please. The measurements and weight of the vsf correspond to those of the gen?
Thanks

diamonds

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
17/3/21
Great comparison,
another clarification please. The measurements and weight of the vsf correspond to those of the gen?
Thanks
Thank you.
I answered a similar question regarding weight in post #58.

I don't have a scale, plus the AD sized the gen to my wrist by removing 1 link. Both the Clean and VSF had all links and felt similar to each other, but I'm sure the gen weighs a tad bit more.