• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

124060 Comparison: Gen / Clean / VSF

diamonds

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
17/3/21
Great job @diamonds !
Can I ask you what do you think about the ceramic inserts and the “platinum” numbers compared to gen?
Many thanks
Whatever "platinum" filling is used on both Clean and VSF insert numbers is really good looking. The shine and sparkle is almost perfect when compared to the real platinum on the genuine insert. Between Clean and VSF, I couldn't notice any differences between the inserts and it's possible that they use the same insert and/or supplier.

The biggest tell your eyes notice between gen and reps is the white gold on the hands and indicies. Regardless of the color: yellow, rose, or white, gold has a beautiful warm luster that reflects light in very special way. Gold is gold. 💪

mgallag3

Do not accept unsolicited offers
2/9/24
I recently picked up a genuine Rolex Submariner 124060 from my local AD, and I decided to buy the Clean and VSF models to do a full comparison for the benefit all members at RWI. For Clean and VSF, I turned to RWI M2M sales section: thanks to @wjmccaff for Clean 124060 and thanks to @jamsie for the VSF 124060. Both were excellent to deal with.

This is an honest "NO BIAS" review, as a member/buyer, and not a review from a Dealer who may favor one factory over the other because of perks or special deals.

This is a modest review taken with a cell phone camera. All photos were taken at the same time and are natural and unprocessed.

From the start
Both Clean and VSF cases are very close to Gen. On the wrist, no one would notice any case shape differences between the three.

Rehaut and Engravings / Crystal / Hands / Bezel action
Gen is Gen. Rehaut is highly polished and reflective. Engravings are beautiful and consistent. Crystal is wonderfully clear with AR on the full inside.

Clean rehaut is also very well polished and the engravings are sharp and well defined. Crystal is a bit cloudy.

VSF downfall is has always been their rehaut engravings and polishing. VSF crystal is very clear and much better than Clean's crystal.

VSF hands look better, edges are smoother,
with more 3D effect.

Dial printing and finish look really good on both Clean and VSF, but VSF seems to look much nicer: possibly due to the crystal.

Clean bezel action and sound is passable, but there is quite a bit of back-play and feels loose. Bezel click sound is loud and not gen like.

VSF bezel action and sound is extremely close to gen in both feel and sound. Better feel with no back-play. Sound is very gen like.

All 3
A look at all 3 to see

All 3 side view

crown guards
Crown guards on Clean are a bit softer and curved.
VSF has more of the uptick.
Less noticeable on the wrist or to most people, but the uptick on the crown guards is something RWI members, and experts will definitely notice.

Pip
Gen Pip is a prettier white, while remaining soft in appearance.
Clean Pip has a slight greenish tint.
VSF isn't the soft white, but it's very close to gen.

SEL
Both Clean and VSF are looking good, but the edge goes to Clean with tighter tolerances and a more solid look and feel.

Clasp
Clean and VSF did a fine job. Crown logo looks very well detailed.

Crown and winding
Crown when winding/unwinding feels gen like. Winding and hand movements were perfect.
Clean VR3230 movement was butter smooth. In fact, it almost felt too smooth.
VSF (dd3230) movement) felt excellent. But it seemed to give more resitance after winding 24 full rotations.

Bracelet / Clasp / Glidelock
Clean bracelet feels a tad bit better compared to VSF, but not as drastic as people make it out to be. Clean ffitting tolerances are spot on, with VSF having a bit of play. Both are acceptable. The Glidelock is where VSF shines. It's much smoother and is dramatically closer to gen in terms of feel and operation.

*Bonus - ZF bracelet
Special thanks to @jamsie for providing the ZF bracelt and providing his input:
ZF bracelet is very well finished and fitting tolerances are very tight. Glidelock is similar to Clean. Overall, my pick would be the ZF bracelet for the finishing and feel.

Lume
Lumes on Clean and VSF are strong, but VSF looks clearer and stronger thanks to the better crystal used by VSF.

Case marking
Here's the big one...
Clean is using 126610 case.
VSF is marked correctly: 124060.
No one would ever notice, but it's a something buyers should be aware of.

Clean case marking = 126610 = incorrect

VSF case marking = 124060 = correct

Observation
Now I'll be looking over the finer details with a loupe and going over how everything feels in hand and the overall feeling on the wrist.

Summary
The overall closeness between CLEAN & VSF 124060 with the genuine article is very impressive.
As for the review of which is better between Clean vs VSF, there is no "real' winner because each factory has their strong points. Clean has the better rehaut finishing and engravings, and a better bracelet. VSF has the better bezel action, crystal, glidelock, and better movement. That being said, VSF does have the correct 124060 case marking.
Honorable mention: Depending on your point of view, ZF's bracelet is quite possibly better than Clean's bracelet. VSF glidelock is the better than both Clean and ZF.

All in all, the perfect 124060 rep would be a combination of all the strongest parts from the various factories.

Best OOTB 124060,
My pick is VSF.
VSF the better bezel action and sound, more accurate crown guards, clearer crystal, smoother glidelock (which we all will use often), and the better movement. *Bonus to VSF for having the correct 124060 case markings. Even though no one will ever see the case markings, just knowing it's correct is a plus. But the most important aspect is something that can't be shown in photos: "How it Feels." There's something about the way the VSF wears that makes it feel better.

Remember, I'm doing this comparison directly against my genuine Rolex 124060, but my preferances may be different than yours.

It was my pleasure doing this comparison for RWI members. I've learned a lot here and it's only fitting to return the favor and help out. But as we always say: "There is no best rep."
Many thanks, nice post. I've spent the better part of a long weekend drowning in watch stuff and just more and more questions. If you don't mind can you tell me the prices on Clean and VSF and what site one would get them from? Sorry rookie here.

diamonds

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
17/3/21
Many thanks, nice post. I've spent the better part of a long weekend drowning in watch stuff and just more and more questions. If you don't mind can you tell me the prices on Clean and VSF and what site one would get them from? Sorry rookie here.
Welcome to RWI.
Check the main forums menu and scroll down to Marketplace and then Trusted Dealers. From there you'll see a list of dealers who are trusted and approved by RWI. Good luck and thank you.

Reactions: mgallag3

Perpetuum

Unknown & happy!
Supporter
Certified
7/1/24
Well written, neutral and very informative - thank you very much (y)

Reactions: diamonds

NOTT3

Getting To Know The Place
30/6/23
italiy
I recently picked up a genuine Rolex Submariner 124060 from my local AD, and I decided to buy the Clean and VSF models to do a full comparison for the benefit all members at RWI. For Clean and VSF, I turned to RWI M2M sales section: thanks to @wjmccaff for Clean 124060 and thanks to @jamsie for the VSF 124060. Both were excellent to deal with.

This is an honest "NO BIAS" review, as a member/buyer, and not a review from a Dealer who may favor one factory over the other because of perks or special deals.

This is a modest review taken with a cell phone camera. All photos were taken at the same time and are natural and unprocessed.

From the start
Both Clean and VSF cases are very close to Gen. On the wrist, no one would notice any case shape differences between the three.

Gen is Gen. Rehaut is highly polished and reflective. Engravings are beautiful and consistent. Crystal is wonderfully clear with AR on the full inside.

Clean rehaut is also very well polished and the engravings are sharp and well defined. Crystal is a bit cloudy.

VSF downfall is has always been their rehaut engravings and polishing. VSF crystal is very clear and much better than Clean's crystal.

with more 3D effect.

Dial printing and finish look really good on both Clean and VSF, but VSF seems to look much nicer: possibly due to the crystal.

Clean bezel action and sound is passable, but there is quite a bit of back-play and feels loose. Bezel click sound is loud and not gen like.

VSF bezel action and sound is extremely close to gen in both feel and sound. Better feel with no back-play. Sound is very gen like.

All 3
A look at all 3 to see

All 3 side view

crown guards
Less noticeable on the wrist or to most people, but the uptick on the crown guards is something RWI members, and experts will definitely notice.

Pip

SEL
Both Clean and VSF are looking good, but the edge goes to Clean with tighter tolerances and a more solid look and feel.

Clasp

Crown and winding
Crown when winding/unwinding feels gen like. Winding and hand movements were perfect.
VSF (dd3230) movement) felt excellent. But it seemed to give more resitance after winding 24 full rotations.

Il bracciale Clean è un po' meglio rispetto al VSF, ma non è così drastico come la gente lo fa credere. Le tolleranze di montaggio Clean sono perfette, con il VSF che ha un po' di gioco. Entrambi sono accettabili. Il Glidelock è dove il VSF brilla. È molto più fluido ed è notevolmente più vicino al gen in termini di sensazione e funzionamento.

*Bonus - Braccialetto ZF
Un ringraziamento speciale a @jamsie per aver fornito il braccialetto ZF e per aver fornito il suo contributo:
Il bracciale ZF è molto ben rifinito e le tolleranze di montaggio sono molto strette. Glidelock è simile a Clean. Nel complesso, la mia scelta ricadrebbe sul bracciale ZF per la finitura e la sensazione.

Luce
I lumi su Clean e VSF sono intensi, ma VSF appare più chiaro e forte grazie al cristallo migliore utilizzato da VSF.

Marcatura della cassa
Ecco la grande novità...
Clean utilizza la custodia 126610.
VSF è contrassegnato correttamente: 124060.
Nessuno se ne accorgerebbe mai, ma è un aspetto di cui gli acquirenti dovrebbero essere consapevoli.

Marcatura caso pulito = 126610 = non corretto

Marcatura del caso VSF = 124060 = corretto

Osservazione
Adesso osserverò i dettagli più fini con una lente d'ingrandimento e analizzerò la sensazione che trasmette ogni cosa in mano e la sensazione generale al polso.

Riepilogo
La somiglianza complessiva tra CLEAN & VSF 124060 e l'articolo originale è davvero impressionante.
Per quanto riguarda la recensione di quale sia migliore tra Clean e VSF, non c'è un "vero" vincitore perché ogni fabbrica ha i suoi punti di forza. Clean ha la migliore finitura rehaut e incisioni, e un bracciale migliore. VSF ha la migliore azione della lunetta, cristallo, glidelock e un movimento migliore. Detto questo, VSF ha la corretta marcatura della cassa 124060.
Menzione d'onore: a seconda del punto di vista, il bracciale ZF è molto probabilmente migliore del bracciale Clean. Il VSF glidelock è migliore sia di Clean che di ZF.

Tutto sommato, la perfetta rappresentazione del 124060 sarebbe una combinazione di tutti i componenti più resistenti provenienti da varie fabbriche.

Il migliore OOTB 124060 ,
La mia scelta è VSF.
VSF, migliore azione e suono della lunetta, protezioni della corona più precise, cristallo più trasparente, glidelock più fluido (che tutti useremo spesso) e movimento migliore. *Bonus per VSF per avere le corrette marcature della cassa 124060. Anche se nessuno vedrà mai le marcature della cassa, sapere che sono corrette è un plus. Ma l'aspetto più importante è qualcosa che non può essere mostrato in foto: "Come ci si sente". C'è qualcosa nel modo in cui si indossa il VSF che lo fa sentire meglio.

Tieni presente che sto effettuando questo confronto direttamente con il mio autentico Rolex 124060, ma le mie preferenze potrebbero essere diverse dalle tue.

È stato un piacere fare questo confronto per i membri RWI. Ho imparato molto qui ed è giusto ricambiare il favore e dare una mano. Ma come diciamo sempre: "Non esiste una migliore reputazio
Grazie e benvenuto.

Per quanto riguarda i miei pensieri sulla forma della cassa e sulle differenze delle anse tra Clean e VSF, non ho notato nulla di drastico. Se non altro, la cassa VSF è la vincitrice indiscussa per avere la corretta marcatura della cassa 124060.👍
GREAT!

Tiger4

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
26/1/21
Excellent comparison, very informative. With the Submariner being one of the best repped timepieces in addition to its popularity, this thread will help many

Thanks for sharing this

Last edited:

samsoniteman

Maker of Poor Financial Decisions
Supporter
Certified
2/6/23
US
Great review and perfect timing as I’m looking to pick one up.

Is the weight just about the same across all 3?

DJ16013

Bettarini Case Fanatic
Supporter
Certified
8/8/11
EU - Italy
Submariner lovers are truly living in the best of the timelines!

Thank you @diamonds for your thorough and complete review and bump for visibility.

ktan89

7/9/24
Great write up and review thank you so much.
Congratulations on the GEN purchase too and what a way to celebrate your birthday 🎂 🥳

Can I ask if the VSF and CF pieces you used to compare are the latest versions please?

Gibba

5/8/24
Really a fantastic comparison... I would also like to get a 124060 vsf and I wanted to know if when moving the watch you can hear that annoying metallic sound (I think it's the rotor).
Thanks

derjenigewelcher

Watch enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland

From the start

with more 3D effect.

All 3
A look at all 3 to see

All 3 side view

crown guards

Pip

SEL

Clasp

Crown and winding

Clean bracelet feels a tad bit better compared to VSF, but not as drastic as people make it out to be. Clean ffitting tolerances are spot on, with VSF having a bit of play. Both are acceptable. The Glidelock is where VSF shines. It's much smoother and is dramatically closer to gen in terms of feel and operation.

*Bonus - ZF bracelet
Special thanks to @jamsie for providing the ZF bracelt and providing his input:
ZF bracelet is very well finished and fitting tolerances are very tight. Glidelock is similar to Clean. Overall, my pick would be the ZF bracelet for the finishing and feel.

Lume
Lumes on Clean and VSF are strong, but VSF looks clearer and stronger thanks to the better crystal used by VSF.

Case marking
Here's the big one...
Clean is using 126610 case.
VSF is marked correctly: 124060.
No one would ever notice, but it's a something buyers should be aware of.

Clean case marking = 126610 = incorrect

VSF case marking = 124060 = correct

Observation
Now I'll be looking over the finer details with a loupe and going over how everything feels in hand and the overall feeling on the wrist.

Summary
The overall closeness between CLEAN & VSF 124060 with the genuine article is very impressive.
As for the review of which is better between Clean vs VSF, there is no "real' winner because each factory has their strong points. Clean has the better rehaut finishing and engravings, and a better bracelet. VSF has the better bezel action, crystal, glidelock, and better movement. That being said, VSF does have the correct 124060 case marking.
Honorable mention: Depending on your point of view, ZF's bracelet is quite possibly better than Clean's bracelet. VSF glidelock is the better than both Clean and ZF.

All in all, the perfect 124060 rep would be a combination of all the strongest parts from the various factories.

Best OOTB 124060,
My pick is VSF.
VSF the better bezel action and sound, more accurate crown guards, clearer crystal, smoother glidelock (which we all will use often), and the better movement. *Bonus to VSF for having the correct 124060 case markings. Even though no one will ever see the case markings, just knowing it's correct is a plus. But the most important aspect is something that can't be shown in photos: "How it Feels." There's something about the way the VSF wears that makes it feel better.

Remember, I'm doing this comparison directly against my genuine Rolex 124060, but my preferances may be different than yours.

It was my pleasure doing this comparison for RWI members. I've learned a lot here and it's only fitting to return the favor and help out. But as we always say: "There is no best rep."
Thanks for this post.
Thanks for going such a time spending way and putting this comparison together for the community.

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
Really a fantastic comparison... I would also like to get a 124060 vsf and I wanted to know if when moving the watch you can hear that annoying metallic sound (I think it's the rotor).
Thanks
I've found that you can, and it varies from watch to watch. I.e., I have a few and one is super quiet while the others are a little more noticable. 31XX movements have a rotor that sits on an axle and is dead quiet. The 32XX rotor sits on ballbearings and therefore makes some noise. So does the gen.

Last edited:

diamonds

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
17/3/21
Great review and perfect timing as I’m looking to pick one up.

Is the weight just about the same across all 3?
Thank you.
I didn't measure weight accuracy because I don't have a scale. Also, the gen 124060 was sized by the AD with one link removed, while the reps had all links in place. That being said, Clean and VSF felt similar in terms of weight, but I'm sure they're both ligher than gen.

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
Thank you for this awesome comparison. I really appreciate it. One of the outstanding threads that makes this place so great.

Very well written, perfect pictures (y)