• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

124060 Comparison: Gen / Clean / VSF

diamonds

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
17/3/21
@diamonds
Excellent review with very nice detailed photos key features with comparison.
Thanks for sharing this informative, unbiased 124060 comparison.
Well done. 5/5 stars :)
I wanted to detail features that dealers tend to overlook; Mainly the finer details that us RWI members focus on, as well ad the overall presentation and feeling we experience as buyers/owners.

Reactions: Kramerwg and jamsie

DD60

The Eagle Eyed Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
28/4/17
I wanted to detail features that dealers tend to overlook; Mainly the finer details that us RWI members focus on, as well ad the overall presentation and feeling we experience as buyers/owners.
I'd say you accomplished these goals successfully. Looking forward to your next comparison. 😀

Jackster

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)
Great Post, thank you and congrats on the Gen. I'm on the list too (6 months) the challenge is going to be wether to keep or sell my 14060M (Gen) over the newer version.

I too have the VSF and its the watch I wear the most and yes I use the glidelock daily.

Maybe now with this post we can dispense with the noob post "who has the best sub?" 🤣

diamonds

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
17/3/21
Great Post, thank you and congrats on the Gen. I'm on the list too (6 months) the challenge is going to be wether to keep or sell my 14060M (Gen) over the newer version.

I too have the VSF and its the watch I wear the most and yes I use the glidelock daily.

Maybe now with this post we can dispense with the noob post "who has the best sub?" 🤣
Thank you for the congratulations on my genuine 124060.

For everyone reading this...
I scored the gen with no wait.
Here's how it all went down:
I walked into one of the local ADs and told the salesman that my birthday just passed and I wanted to buy myself a Rolex.

I was very friendly and didn't act like a big shot in any way, nor did I let on that I knew anything about Rolex (or the fake waiting lists). I mentioned NO model names, NO nicknames, and NO reference numbers. I simply said that I wanted a Rolex.

The salesman showed me the usual Two-tone DateJust models they push on everyone. After trying on a few models, I said: "What's the model James Bond wore?
The salesman said: "Oh, that's the Submariner."
I said: "Show me that."
I tried on a bluesy, a kermit/starbucks, the Submariner Date LN, and the 124060. (Remember, I played dumb and mentioned no names or reference numbers).

After trying them all on, my exact words were: "I prefer the one without the date window."
The salesman replied: "That's called a No Date."
I said: "Nice. I'll take it."
Salesman said: (I quote) "I don't think we have any available. Plus there's a very long waiting list.... but let me go talk with my manager and check the status on future availability.

A few moments later, the salesman said: "Good News! My manager said we had one in stock!"
The salesman walked me to a private room to do all the paperwork, ring up the sale, and properly size the watch for my wrist. They poured me champagne and gave me 2 boxes of Rolex chocolates.

K9ULvF.jpeg

Moral of the story: Never act like a big shot.... and when it comes to Rolex ADs... waiting lists are a lie.

Last edited:

Service

I'm New. Unknown to this website.
2/9/24
Thank you for the congratulations on my genuine 124060.

For everyone reading this...
I scored the gen with no wait.
Here's how it all went down:
I walked into one of the local ADs and told the salesman that my birthday just passed and I wanted to buy myself a Rolex.

I was very friendly and didn't act like a big shot in any way, nor did I let on that I knew anything about Rolex (or the fake waiting lists). I mentioned NO model names, NO nicknames, and NO reference numbers. I simply said that I wanted a Rolex.

The salesman showed me the usual Two-tone DateJust models they push on everyone. After trying on a few models, I said: "What's the model James Bond wore?
The salesman said: "Oh, that's the Submariner."
I said: "Show me that."
I tried on a bluesy, a kermit/starbucks, the Submariner Date LN, and the 124060. (Remember, I played dumb and mentioned no names or reference numbers).

After trying them all on, my exact words were: "I prefer the one without the date window."
Salesman said: (I quote) "I don't think we have any available. Plus there's a very long waiting list.... but let me go talk with my manager and check the status on future availability.

A few moments later, the salesman said: "Good News! My manager said we had one in stock!"
The salesman walked me to a private room to do all the paperwork, ring up the sale, and properly size the watch for my wrist. They poured me champagne and gave me 2 boxes of Rolex chocolates.

Moral of the story: Never act like a big shot.... and when it comes to Rolex ADs... waiting lists are a lie.

This post deserves a thread of it's own! Congrats on Gen.

_leonardo_

29/8/20

thinking that if, at that point, you replie :<< no Sir, You are wrong: that's called a SUBMARINER >>, then you were placed in waiting list :)

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
Congratulations on the gen. There are plenty around here and it's often forgotten how big of a deal it is to buy one. It's an awesome feeling.

Thank you very much for the time and effort taken to create this post. Great pics and observations. Very helpful to anyone wanting to know the strengths and weaknesses of these two options.

If one can find a watchmaker who is able to polish the Rehaut and reshape the CGs on the VSF, that's a big improvement.

However, it does look like VSF continues to slightly concave the outside of the lugs, which has me baffled. They do the same with their 11X, too. I actually find it more noticable on the wrist as opposed to non-wrist pics.

Based on this review, Clean case, bracelet and clasp, and VSF for everything else, would be my preferred combination.

Nice of you to acknowledge the members you bought from, too.

Reactions: diamonds

Sub_Souljah

Sub diver
31/7/23
DE
Thank you very much for the great contribution. The Submariner (no date so the real Submariner 😄) is my absolute favorite watch.😍 I have a few homages from this model and a really great one from VSF. I hope that at some point I will be able to call a gene my own.
Thanks again for the comparison, really great.(y)
Game Show Thank You GIF by Kinda Funny

chrisat

Getting To Know The Place
23/3/24
Great comparison, thank you.
Having swapped the bracelet on my VSF 124060, I fully agree with you - ARF (CF) is slightly better than VSF, with tighter fitting. But the Glidelock works smoother on the VSF - I initially thought that maybe the ARF just needed to break in, but even weeks after the bracelet swap it just doesn't work as smoothly as on the VSF. I am not swapping back to the VSF just for that, though.

Replyman

Do not accept unsolicited offers
30/5/24
This was very very helpful, as someone who is looking to buy this exact watch I cannot thank you enough

George474

Getting To Know The Place
Patron
Certified
30/6/23
Germany
Outstanding post.

Thanks so much for taking the time to make it.

Very, very helpful and an awesome reference- that`s for sure.

diamonds

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
17/3/21
Congratulations on the gen. There are plenty around here and it's often forgotten how big of a deal it is to buy one. It's an awesome feeling.

Thank you very much for the time and effort taken to create this post. Great pics and observations. Very helpful to anyone wanting to know the strengths and weaknesses of these two options.

If one can find a watchmaker who is able to polish the Rehaut and reshape the CGs on the VSF, that's a big improvement.

However, it does look like VSF continues to slightly concave the outside of the lugs, which has me baffled. They do the same with their 11X, too. I actually find it more noticable on the wrist as opposed to non-wrist pics.

Based on this review, Clean case, bracelet and clasp, and VSF for everything else, would be my preferred combination.

Nice of you to acknowledge the members you bought from, too.
Thanks for congratulations and all the kind words.

As for your take on the perfect build, I would agree with you on using Clean case for lug shape, but my eyes prefer VSF's crown guards.... plus my subconscious prefers VSF case for the correct 124060 marking. 😃

Thanks again for the kind words and Yes, buying a genuine Rolex is an awesome feeling... Especially the watch James Bond wore. 😉

Last edited:
Reactions: SS72

diamonds

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
17/3/21
Great comparison, thank you.
Having swapped the bracelet on my VSF 124060, I fully agree with you - ARF (CF) is slightly better than VSF, with tighter fitting. But the Glidelock works smoother on the VSF - I initially thought that maybe the ARF just needed to break in, but even weeks after the bracelet swap it just doesn't work as smoothly as on the VSF. I am not swapping back to the VSF just for that, though.
Thank you.
The bracelet is an important part of the experience, but a good working glidelock is even more important because we use it constantly.
The solution is remedied by combining the best of both: Clean bracelet with VSF clasp/glidelock. An even better solution is ZF bracelet with VSF clasp/glidelock. Thanks again.

cassapanca

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/12/16
Great job @diamonds !
Can I ask you what do you think about the ceramic inserts and the “platinum” numbers compared to gen?
Many thanks

Reactions: Dadda81