• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Franken'ly speaking....

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Agreed. It's a matter of what one is ready to accept as a flaw, and this flaw is a major one. I thought it through when I chose to start frankening my 26740 ROO Vampire, knowing the open caseback would show an incorrect part of it as a replica of the original model.

But I love this Vampire look so much that I decided to go for it anyway.
As my 1rst franken, it's also a way for me to find out how I behave regarding this specific "problem" : maybe I'll deal with it and enjoy the watch for what it is, maybe not. And if so, I can still decide to put a closed CB on (I guess, even though it's an aesthetic flaw in itself !) or even go for the ultimate upgrade : hunt for a gen movement.

It's actually an option I keep in mind depending on how I feel with the whole frankening thing.

OP, can't wait to see how your project turns out!

Envoyé de mon ELE-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk

Very true. Flaws should always be accessed personally based on the education and reading one has done prior to going into their builds. If you decide to be able to live with x, consider yourself lucky because you're mostly saving a lot of money on the way. But always be prepared to hear others opinions on the matter and some may state their personal reasons for not being able to accept x. This, of course, is all based on personal preferences and should never be taken as a generalisation of how one has to do their build. Just various examples of different strokes for different folks. Plain and simple.

jonnybaws is on a good way and so are you mrsullivan I can't wait to see your projects unfolding and I really appreciate your openness to opinions and also criticism. You guys are a prime example. Thank you for your contributions.

jonnybaws

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/14
Very true. Flaws should always be accessed personally based on the education and reading one has done prior to going into their builds. If you decide to be able to live with x, consider yourself lucky because you're mostly saving a lot of money on the way. But always be prepared to hear others opinions on the matter and some may state their personal reasons for not being able to accept x. This, of course, is all based on personal preferences and should never be taken as a generalisation of how one has to do their build. Just various examples of different strokes for different folks. Plain and simple.

jonnybaws is on a good way and so are you mrsullivan I can't wait to see your projects unfolding and I really appreciate your openness to opinions and also criticism. You guys are a prime example. Thank you for your contributions.

Don't see it as criticism Q, I'm a novice in the Franken world, I'd be a fool to ignore this valuable info!
I do have a budget for the first build, I don't want to go OTT on a build in the end that may not work for me (I think it will) but best to be safe on the first one,
If/when I get bitten by this bug I may go for more gen components next time, Hands, Bezel, Movement, who knows, but for now, I'm happy with the decisions all the advice in this thread and others has guided me to.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Agreed. It's a matter of what one is ready to accept as a flaw, and this flaw is a major one. I thought it through when I chose to start frankening my 26740 ROO Vampire, knowing the open caseback would show an incorrect part of it as a replica of the original model.

But I love this Vampire look so much that I decided to go for it anyway.
As my 1rst franken, it's also a way for me to find out how I behave regarding this specific "problem" : maybe I'll deal with it and enjoy the watch for what it is, maybe not. And if so, I can still decide to put a closed CB on (I guess, even though it's an aesthetic flaw in itself !) or even go for the ultimate upgrade : hunt for a gen movement.

It's actually an option I keep in mind depending on how I feel with the whole frankening thing.

OP, can't wait to see how your project turns out!

I think above what is accurate or otherwise, owner preference takes precedence.
Members here can choose to enjoy low to high level stock reps, modded ones, and frankens, though none of them are gen or close to gen. That does not make the watch any less nice visually. Its all about owner preference.
There are guys here who have sick builds, putting gen movements and rotors into their open caseback builds and I think that is the proper thing to do to complete the open case builds and owners can get to enjoy the beautiful caliber through the caseback when the watch is taken off. Another dimension added to the ownership experience. Owning a luxury watch like AP is a lot more than just wearing it, you will realize. The feel of owning a luxury watch is a lot more than just wearing a franken, which is an inexpensive fun novelty watch of sorts. Having said that, you are at full liberty to add a gen case and movement to your build if the watch is a keeper..its just a matter of money and dedication.

Whatever is it, as long as you enjoy your watch, it is the most important thing. Afterall this is what the hobby is about. You will have details you obsess over and cannot unsee and that is your prerogative. It is after all your watch. Build the vampire and when the build materializes, you can decide if you want to invest a gen movement and rotor. It will be an investment well worth it when you decide that you do, because you will understand better then what AP ownership is about. It is not just about wearing a watch which resembles an AP, but also appreciating the details which defines the brand.

Last edited:

jonnybaws

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/14
FFS, bought another dial.. this Franken business is gonna be the end of me!!

Reactions: Limpy

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
FFS, bought another dial.. this Franken business is gonna be the end of me!!
Ahah, naughty you :)

Picture when you get this!
3ad8ac46e2feeba219676cfa53340930.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: QueTip

Zeula

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
17/9/17
Harem
urban legend dictates that whenever something goes wrong in the AP section, it is always Zeula's fault.
I suspect that urban legend is actually correct.
Last week, I lost a screw on a watch which I was working on and it was definitely Zeula's fault. :hehehe:

Hey hey heyyyyyy. Claim down bro. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zeula

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
17/9/17
Harem
urban legend dictates that whenever something goes wrong in the AP section, it is always Zeula's fault.
I suspect that urban legend is actually correct.
Last week, I lost a screw on a watch which I was working on and it was definitely Zeula's fault. :hehehe:

Hey hey heyyyyyy. Claim down bro. Lol

Zeula

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
17/9/17
Harem
[mention]jonnybaws [/mention] I do recommend you to ask your modder to do the movement service and proper oiled before assemble your franken. IMO, to dissemble your franken many times, its a chance to ruin your dial, hands, whatever.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: jonnybaws

jonnybaws

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/14
[mention]jonnybaws [/mention] I do recommend you to ask your modder to do the movement service and proper oiled before assemble your franken. IMO, to dissemble your franken many times, its a chance to ruin your dial, hands, whatever.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm gonna go through this thread again and compile a list, then see what can and can't be done as well as what I want and should have done.

jonnybaws

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/14
White specs are dust...

Also, for the main franken build all the parts should be here by tomorrow... [Dancing Banana]

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
White specs are dust...

Also, for the main franken build all the parts should be here by tomorrow... [Dancing Banana]

You have the perfect attitude to build and enjoy AP frankens jonnybaws. Because of this I’m following your journey. Congrats on the blue themes dial.