• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Franken'ly speaking....

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
100%!
I'd be lost without the valued input, guidance in my first venture into the land of AP Frankendom, for the vast majority of the posts in this thread I see no criticism just helpful advice and opinion that has formed my decision making, long may it continue!

I’m really glad you feel this way.
I mean, we ALL know that these builds are meant to be “closer to gen, better than stock and more believable and reliable” versions of AP reps and I think that’s why guys opt to go for franken builds.

By being open and forthright from scratch, you have the advantage of doing the best you can from the first step of your journey by considering every choice possible and listening to general advice and criticism. None of us are experts in every single facet of this hobby but collectively we can offer expert advice and opinions, both from knowledge and experience.

There are 2 very different aspects of this franken hobby:

1. In the forums, they are going to be shown off and dissected, discussed, criticized, complimented and areas of improvements raised. Those who do not have thick skins should refrain from showing off their frankens and asking for opinions or feedback because EVERY SINGLE franken ever built is flawed in one way or another. Some owners cannot unsee such flaws once pointed out, and others just become defensive when these facts are mentioned, especially after spending relatively big money on the build. Where others go gaga over franken builds, I see the gen and how the build deviates from it. I see it another way:
Guys who spend big money (relative to stock reps) on their watches will learn nothing from “awesome!” but get actual information on how to improve their builds from facts worded one way or another.
Remember this is only for forum discussions.

2. In real life, this is where the franken shines and where it should matter for the owner. Frankens almost always look better in real life VS pictures. Just 2 nights ago I was seated next to a good friend (also a member here) at a dinner and he was wearing his franken. We were less than 1.5m apart and his franken (if I name the model you’ll know him) looked simply wonderful. Careful scrutiny is required to call out modded reps/frankens in real life but social courtesy and inclination does not allow us to do so most of the time, unless you know the other guy well and he’s willing to share.
Most of the “the watch isn’t gen” tells are in the mind of the wearer and not the eyes of the observer. This same thing applies to modded reps and some stock ones (like the 15500 and xf diver for example). It’s always more about attitude than details. If a guy does not carry himself well, every luxury watch is going to look rep on him as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LuoIsBoss

I'm Pretty Popular
6/6/17
Scandinavia
Hi bro!

Good luck on your journey.
Atm, I'm also building my first ever AP franken - and wow, I learned much and scrapped together some nice parts imo.
But should be done before christmas, I hope. Waiting for the last parts to arrive - and then it's getting sent to the modder for assemble.

Specs is:
- Gen midcase.
- Gen bezel.
- Gen caseback.
- Gen bracelet.
- Gen bezelscrews.
- Gen caseback-screws.
- Gen crystal.
- Gen dial.
- Gen tachy.
- Gen hands.
- Gen crown.
- Gen pushers.
- Mikey v2 dw (modern font on white)
- Mikey v2 date square.
- Mikey v2 gen-spec cyclop
- Gen 199.033 bezel gasket.
- Aftermarket caseback gasket.
- Limpy LWO movement holder
- Lemania LWO283 (39 jewels) (getting it completely stripped down and cleaned.)

I'll hope for a great result with it. As I said, it's my first AP franken. Done a lot of Rolex superfrankens and frankens and this is a whole new world for me. a

117228019_2921555377950349_7813277943926749158_n.jpg

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Hi bro!

Good luck on your journey.
Atm, I'm also building my first ever AP franken - and wow, I learned much and scrapped together some nice parts imo.
But should be done before christmas, I hope. Waiting for the last parts to arrive - and then it's getting sent to the modder for assemble.

]

Having gone so far, why don't you consider getting a gen movement too? Then some parts like the date square, datewheel and LWO movement holder will become redundant and it makes much more sense, given the watch will have every part gen. I am not saying that doing so will turn your watch gen.. it still won't, but you have put in so much money and time to get the parts in place, getting a gen movement is another step in your adventure, that's all. Remember that the gen movement (if you find one) should come with rotor, cyclop and datewheel ideally..
I am looking forward to seeing your project come to fruition. It is definitely an exciting build. :)

Reactions: Allure and razmataz

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
That tachy looks like it could be from the Sachin Tendulkar, from what I see.
Yep, absolutely right, as always. That should be it. Only one Offshore using that tachy IIRC.

LuoIsBoss

I'm Pretty Popular
6/6/17
Scandinavia
Having gone so far, why don't you consider getting a gen movement too? Then some parts like the date square, datewheel and LWO movement holder will become redundant and it makes much more sense, given the watch will have every part gen. I am not saying that doing so will turn your watch gen.. it still won't, but you have put in so much money and time to get the parts in place, getting a gen movement is another step in your adventure, that's all. Remember that the gen movement (if you find one) should come with rotor, cyclop and datewheel ideally..
I am looking forward to seeing your project come to fruition. It is definitely an exciting build. :)

Thanks.

My plan is also getting a gen movement - but for now I simply just go with the LWO + the rep parts.

Movement can always be swapped around, when I'll find it.

jonnybaws

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/14
The eagle has landed....
I'm too busy looking at it to take any pics just yet, will do later today and post...
Few shout outs first..
legend QueTip Tompa thanks for the sage advice and help sourcing the parts.
slaughterer62 again thank you for your advice and most importantly putting together this fantastic build, I love it, if I'm ever in the neighbour hood, I owe you a beer or 10!
Finally, may not be by name, but thanks all that have contributed in this thread!

Early impressions this won't be my last Franken and I may upgrade to a gen or two in the future!

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
Congratulations, now impatient to see the pics!

Envoyé de mon ELE-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
The eagle has landed....
I'm too busy looking at it to take any pics just yet, will do later today and post...
Few shout outs first..
legend QueTip Tompa thanks for the sage advice and help sourcing the parts.
slaughterer62 again thank you for your advice and most importantly putting together this fantastic build, I love it, if I'm ever in the neighbour hood, I owe you a beer or 10!
Finally, may not be by name, but thanks all that have contributed in this thread!

Early impressions this won't be my last Franken and I may upgrade to a gen or two in the future!

jonnybaws you are treading on super thin ice, making an Academy Award speech with ZERO pictures.
Come on man, if the Eagle has landed, we deserve to see at least one feather. :hehehe:

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Glad you got the watch safely. It looks good on you. Take a lume shot when you have time ;-)

Reactions: jonnybaws