• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Franken'ly speaking....

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Decision made.....

White Theme Rubber Clad..
To be honest, its a watch that first attracted me to ROOs
I have a JF Black There Rubber Clad that can hopefully be used as a donor..

Now to start hunting for the parts..

Good choice. It is possible to build a decent looking RC. Before you start this project I’ll like to ask you to seriously consider to get gen hands to go with the build. It is integral to the appearance of the franken and for me, I cannot avoid looking at the dial hands when you look at the watch. The datewheel window cutout on the movements of both the gen 2326 caliber and LWO are rectangular in shape so there is no tell there. Strictly speaking, there is no aftermarket datewheel which is perfectly accurate for the AP font used in this model so pick something which works for you.

The 26470 franken is tricky and I haven’t seen one which I will wear myself. The ones I’ve seen are nice watches don’t get me wrong but I’m a watch caliber guy and having an open caseback, gen movement and a 22K rotor go together hand in hand for me. I understand that there is even less motivation to use gen movements for closed caseback models and that is more acceptable for me when it comes to older models. The older AP movements aren’t well decorated too and not all of them use nice looking rotors like they do in the modern models.
I’m looking forward to your build as well as Jurgenk’s beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonnybaws

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/14

UPDATE

The sacrificial watch for the Franken project.. found a couple dials and tachys, haggling right now...

jonnybaws

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/14
Some more solid advice from a good friend.
He knew my fav AP is the 42mm Black dial rubber clad.. so if I'm gonna go down the Franken route, start with that, surely..?
He was right..!
Search for Dial and Tachy now restarts... More when I have!

Reactions: mrsullivan

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Some more solid advice from a good friend.
He knew my fav AP is the 42mm Black dial rubber clad.. so if I'm gonna go down the Franken route, start with that, surely..?
He was right..!
Search for Dial and Tachy now restarts... More when I have!

If it’s the black, try to go for the H series set? It’s a lot nicer for me, with the chrome hands, metal logo, black DW etc. Of course it’s a matter of personal preference but just hoping you’ll consider the H series build over the G series one.

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
If it’s the black, try to go for the H series set? It’s a lot nicer for me, with the chrome hands, metal logo, black DW etc. Of course it’s a matter of personal preference but just hoping you’ll consider the H series build over the G series one.

Yes absolutely. It has more details ....

b6df4fe1dc49b31886c5138d4a118813.jpg

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Both very nice..

Dial I'm currently eyeing is G Series...

If you can get a gen 2326/2840 movement it will be perfect for your rubberclad build, whatever series you choose.
Since you’re sourcing parts you may as well do do with an open book and include in your list gen hands and gen movement as well, and cross out those that cannot be found or is too prohibitive, cost wise. You can also divide your project into phases and plan for gen movement upgrade should you decide that the watch is a keeper.
Flying Tommy’s franken has the modern font datewheel and a trivia is that this variation exists in service replacements, and quite honestly I like the look of it.

All the best and keep us updated!

jonnybaws

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/14
Cheers and will do!
The Gen movement/Hands will most likely be phase 2, as you say, If it's deemed a keeper..
Trying to keep the first build under control, I know myself, I'll end up going OTT otherwise!

jonnybaws

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/14
Slight detour, it is my thread so I'll allow it..
Found one of these!!

This unlikely to be franken'd but I def. want to update the DW, maybe shave the Tachy (if that's an acceptable thing to do?) and AR the Cyclops + maybe double AR the Crystal..

Back to the Franken build, haggling still on going...

pm-guy

Supporter
Certified
10/5/14
Slight detour, it is my thread so I'll allow it..
Found one of these!!

This unlikely to be franken'd but I def. want to update the DW, maybe shave the Tachy (if that's an acceptable thing to do?) and AR the Cyclops + maybe double AR the Crystal..

Back to the Franken build, haggling still on going...

Congrats on managing to get your hands on one of this rare JF Chronopassion! :clap_1:

jonnybaws

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/14
I had to haggle less when buying my car!!
But I think I'm about to close out a couple of deals for both Dial and Tachy… that will be step 1-3 complete

1 - Doner watch - Check
2 - Gen Dial - Check(ish)
3 - Gen Tachy - Check(ish)
4 - Movement - Pending
5 - DW - Pending
6 - AR'd Cyclops - Pending
7 - I've forgotten something no doubt...

Tompa

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
I had to haggle less when buying my car!!
But I think I'm about to close out a couple of deals for both Dial and Tachy… that will be step 1-3 complete

1 - Doner watch - Check
2 - Gen Dial - Check(ish)
3 - Gen Tachy - Check(ish)
4 - Movement - Pending
5 - DW - Pending
6 - AR'd Cyclops - Pending
7 - I've forgotten something no doubt...

Hands and Movment holder.

Skickat från min Sputnik satellit

jonnybaws

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/14
Hands and Movment holder.

Skickat från min Sputnik satellit

Hands will be phase 2..
Movement holder not required, even though I have one.. I won't be doing the work myself, I could end up burning the house down, micro DIY is not my strong point!

Last edited:
Reactions: Tompa

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12
Hands will be phase 2..
Movement holder not required, even though I have one.. I won't be doing the work myself, I could end up burning the house down, micro DIY is not my strong point!

what is your plans for hands in phase 1. trimmed rep hands?

Reactions: Revolper

jonnybaws

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/14
what is your plans for hands in phase 1. trimmed rep hands?

That’s the plan.. but I had planned only one Franken for now... but I’ve ended up bidding on 2 sets of dials and tachys...

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12
That’s the plan.. but I had planned only one Franken for now... but I’ve ended up bidding on 2 sets of dials and tachys...

there are many ways to skin a cat so keep an open mind and reach out to your builder for advice and cost.
ideal world you would use gen hands. the next logical solution would be third party hands before you consider modding rep hands. search m2m sales and look for modded roo's where they quote trimmed hands $80-130. you can buy third party hands ready to fit for the same price or cheaper.

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
This WT dial is so beautiful!

Btw, can you tell me/us who sourced you that JF CP? Congrats btw!