• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Franken'ly speaking....

jonnybaws

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/14
Looking a few builds in advance...

Does this

Plus this

Equal this (obviously other parts will need to be acquired..) or does the Plat version have a slightly difference colour font on the Tachy? Looks off-white

Reactions: Limpy

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12
jonnybaws use the rep tachy. print on the tachy you put above differs. T in tachymeter starts on different point with these new dials

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
jonnybaws use the rep tachy. print on the tachy you put above differs. T in tachymeter starts on different point with these new dials

What he said. Modern rep tachy is sufficient imho

Reactions: jonnybaws

Limpy

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
3/7/16
EU
Looking a few builds in advance...

Does this

Plus this

Equal this (obviously other parts will need to be acquired..) or does the Plat version have a slightly difference colour font on the Tachy? Looks off-white

You mean something like this :)

5b512337860d693c1bf73c1db0e58fde.jpg

d4ee9cd169084efa4e3fd0658ed2b29e.jpg

1659d38a0020318efbe3ca81c0493394.jpg

2293494d22dd91b15089be71f08324ee.jpg

77e95c3fd6190966c828e8fb3c33391b.jpg

f624002cad31a5214291540d1345c75a.jpg

Reactions: mrsullivan

W47chl0v3r

PM for 5402 inquiries
Supporter
Certified
29/8/19

Never seen anyone on a franken shopping spree before

jonnybaws

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/14
Wouldn't know about that, the planning phase was in the works for months, locked down due to COVID and not being able to live life normally just sped up the buying process..

jonnybaws

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/14
Hit a bit of a road block in the quest for a movement...
I assumed watch parts sellers may stock such things, I guess not, not that I found any...
Part of the learning curve!

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
jonnybaws I've been following your thread, as I am at the same stage as you, and regarding the movement it's true that LWO283 alone are not easily found around the corner these days.
I finally bought an old Hamilton with serviced LWO283 on the bay last week for a decent price, as a donor watch.
Try to look for such old watches in your search : Hamilton, Tag Heuer, even GP I think, used LWOs, it will greatly increase your chances to find a movement.

Cheers, and good luck.

Envoyé de mon ELE-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk

jonnybaws

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/14
Was trying to avoid going down that route but it maybe the only option right now, thanks!

flofas

3/10/13
Europe
To be honest, an LWO stocked by a watch part seller might be a 10-15 year old movement that nobody wants because of problems, and they will sell it to you for a higher price than you might win a whole Hamilton watch on an ebay auction that will probably have a 3-4 year old LWO inside.

jonnybaws

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/14
To be honest, an LWO stocked by a watch part seller might be a 10-15 year old movement that nobody wants because of problems, and they will sell it to you for a higher price than you might win a whole Hamilton watch on an ebay auction that will probably have a 3-4 year old LWO inside.

Cheers!

Indeed, ended up going down that route, Bought a watch off Chrono24, maybe more than I should have paid but it was less than I had budgeted for so round about win-win, all items on the check list now bought, waiting for them to arrive before I can ship them off...

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
One small note about the movement jonnybaws.

Each one of us has our own pet quirk and peeve in the hobby. One of my peeves regarding a watch is a slow changing datewheel on an AP watch. Along with Rolex, AP watches should always have instant change datewheel mechanisms for their positioning. I know it’s a thing most members don’t care about or mind but I do care about my movement caliber and datewheel date changes as well.
If you’re getting an LWO movement you may wish to consider getting the date spring tightened to reduce the “roll transition” of the date, a window where the date is changing halfway. This period is anywhere from 5-30min and you want to make this as short as possible. It is just an annoyance for me to see any date changing halfway. If you don’t care about it, all good but if it’s something you want to think about, then you can improve this.
The 3126/3840 cal and 3120 cal used by APs feature instant date change and its one reason I cannot live with frankens (one of many reasons) but if you’ve decided to build one then every bit of information helps you to get the best one possible.
I haven’t seen a current AP franken yet which wows me yet (many nice ones visually but not one I feel the urge to try on, I need my APs to really be APs in build and spirit and quality) and am hoping that someone will put in effort to get all the fine details right for their build! Looking forward to see yours!

Meanwhile take a guess at what this model is and this is another reason why the see through caseback franken models should not be built unless gen movement and rotor is used (and it’s totally possible to do so) :hehehe:

BBA2-F632-230-C-4-FE9-9-E9-F-BE358723-F853.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonnybaws

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/14
Must admit, fan of the instant date change, will see if that's do-able!
Thanks to you and all others that have contributed so far, great deal of Knowledge Transfer that's helped me make, hopefully, the right decisions!

Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Must admit, fan of the instant date change, will see if that's do-able!
Thanks to you and all others that have contributed so far, great deal of Knowledge Transfer that's helped me make, hopefully, the right decisions!

If you need help It’s just a PM away!
You have the benefit of planning and gathering resources from scratch and aren’t committed to settling for second best. :qtip2:

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
One small note about the movement jonnybaws.
Meanwhile take a guess at what this model is and this is another reason why the see through caseback franken models should not be built unless gen movement and rotor is used (and it’s totally possible to do so) :hehehe

Agreed. It's a matter of what one is ready to accept as a flaw, and this flaw is a major one. I thought it through when I chose to start frankening my 26740 ROO Vampire, knowing the open caseback would show an incorrect part of it as a replica of the original model.

But I love this Vampire look so much that I decided to go for it anyway.
As my 1rst franken, it's also a way for me to find out how I behave regarding this specific "problem" : maybe I'll deal with it and enjoy the watch for what it is, maybe not. And if so, I can still decide to put a closed CB on (I guess, even though it's an aesthetic flaw in itself !) or even go for the ultimate upgrade : hunt for a gen movement.

It's actually an option I keep in mind depending on how I feel with the whole frankening thing.

OP, can't wait to see how your project turns out!

Envoyé de mon ELE-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk

Last edited: