• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Looking for a speedmaster moonwatch? Info inside!

luckie

19/12/11
I'll keep it going. I bought a gen dial and all the hands thinking one day I might try to do a franken of this one but from what I'm reading, it's gonna be a tough one to Franken. I guess finding the right size case is first then the movement. Hmmmm Any ideas? Opinions?

Om3ga_guy

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/12/10
Canada
Has anyone tried a gen plexi crystal on the manual wind before????

I can get one for a reasonable price + a gen crown. What do you guys think? Worth a try? Man I feel like such a noob lol

Hmm... Get rid of the blue screws, give everything a copper finish, and then you deal with the upside-down OMEGA. :)

Hell yeah LHOOQ!!!

luckie

19/12/11
The gen dial I have is 31mm, what are the specs on some of the reps?

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
I'll keep it going. I bought a gen dial and all the hands thinking one day I might try to do a franken of this one but from what I'm reading, it's gonna be a tough one to Franken. I guess finding the right size case is first then the movement. Hmmmm Any ideas? Opinions?

Lemania movements can be found that will probably work with the dial and hands. I have seen some old Tissots with that movement that aren't terribly expensive to purchase. I have no clue whether the movement will fit in a rep case and if the pushers will work. If you end up having to go with a gen case, then the build total will cost as much as buying a 1980s era gen Speedy.

Has anyone tried a gen plexi crystal on the manual wind before?

The gen plexi doesn't fit. FXRandy on RWG (the one that used to be blue) figured all this out a while ago. You want the Sternkreuz I mentioned earlier in the thread.

(Or Markh might happen to have one that will work. ) :lol:

Om3ga_guy

28/12/10
Canada
Markh actually shipped me the crystal with the watch. I bought the package off him :)

I found an eBay auction for a gen crystal and crown for $100.00 in Canada, figured I would give it a try but if the crystal doesn't fit ill scrap the idea then...too bad. I wanna try installing a gen crown. The rep crown on the rep I bought from Markh is wayyy to big. Looks like a UPO crown...

Lemania movements can be found that will probably work with the dial and hands. I have seen some old Tissots with that movement that aren't terribly expensive to purchase. I have no clue whether the movement will fit in a rep case and if the pushers will work. If you end up having to go with a gen case, then the build total will cost as much as buying a 1980s era gen Speedy.

The gen plexi doesn't fit. FXRandy on RWG (the one that used to be blue) figured all this out a while ago. You want the Sternkreuz I mentioned earlier in the thread.

(Or Markh might happen to have one that will work. ) :lol:

luckie

19/12/11
So how many projects you got going on now?

Markh actually shipped me the crystal with the watch. I bought the package off him :)

I found an eBay auction for a gen crystal and crown for $100.00 in Canada, figured I would give it a try but if the crystal doesn't fit ill scrap the idea then...too bad. I wanna try installing a gen crown. The rep crown on the rep I bought from Markh is wayyy to big. Looks like a UPO crown...

Om3ga_guy

28/12/10
Canada
Just paying it forward. Hope that was OK 5...

Guy no sweat!

Just to show the appreciation from my end on including me in the Speedmaster "movement" + hooking me up with the parts I need to get started = I will engrave your names on the crystal!!!

Ted,

I've got currently:

1. FrPO = needs a gen crystal + gen end links (still thinking about spending the $350.00... :s)

2. FrSMP 2254.50 = waiting for the gen bezel to arrive and it's done

3. Speedmaster = should be in my hands by Friday or early next week. Swapping out crystal and would like to put a gen crown if I can find the correct gen part number for it (anyone?)

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
3. Speedmaster = should be in my hands by Friday or early next week. Swapping out crystal and would like to put a gen crown if I can find the correct gen part number for it (anyone?)

43069ST

I'm not so sure about the gen crystal fitting. A friend of mind tried swapping a genuine bezel onto a rep Speedy case some time ago and it was a no-go.

The crown I'm more optimistic about.

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
Just paying it forward. Hope that was OK 5...

I've been trying to give that damn plexi away for a year. (I thought I had TommyBoy talked into it but he backed out). I'm happy to have a taker! Just owning that $3 plexi was enough to make me consider buying another Speedy rep, which I really don't need.

No worries at all, I was just busting your chops. :)

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
Good. 'Cause I think Om3ga_guy knows how to mod some stuff, unlike me.

Maybe you can help me figure out what size I need for my 21j. It's bigger than the hand wind version. I don't know how to measure for a crystal. Is it just mm width? I also need a solid, more correct case back for it. You got one of those laying around?

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
Ok. I know I keep bringing this up but it bugs me a little. I'm referring to Moonie case sizes. Everyone keeps saying how good the Lemania versions are because of the hand wind movement etc. and that the main flaw is the subdial spacing.

My issue though is the fact that it's a 39/40mm case and the Moonies are supposed to be 42mm since reference 145.012 in/around 1967. This is according to Chuck Maddox himself...

http://chronomaddox.com/dimensions_selected_omega.html

To me, a bigger tell than subdial spacing or functionality of chrono dials and stuff would be the actual size of the watch on the wrist. Is it just me?

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
To me, a bigger tell than subdial spacing or functionality of chrono dials and stuff would be the actual size of the watch on the wrist. Is it just me?

Grab a ruler or some calipers. Measure the outer diameter of your rep's bezel. How wide is it?

I've never measured a Speedy rep, but I have trouble believing the factories would be 2-3mm off.

trandy16

I'm Pretty Popular
24/1/08
DSC00739.jpg

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
Thanks, trandy. I had a feeling it would be something like that. My gen Speedy's bezel comes in at 39.8mm. But it's 42mm at the mid-case.

Place one jaw of the caliper adjacent to the rep's crown and the other diametrically opposite. I bet it comes in at 42mm, too.

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
My gen Speedy's bezel comes in at 39.8mm. But it's 42mm at the mid-case.

After reading Mark's post I got out the calipers, but you guys are too quick! My gen measures 39.75mm at the bezel and the case is 41.97mm beside the crown. Both reps I owned (21J and handwind) were approximately the same size.

It appears the rep is very slightly bigger than the gen?

trandy16

I'm Pretty Popular
24/1/08
LHOOQ....It's gotten too dark here for me to shoot another photo....but when I measure it per your request it comes out to 41.96mm.

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
I believe you. :)

And that's way closer to 5?'s measurement than I thought it would be!

Also, remember how I mentioned my friend who tried to make a franken Speedmaster, based on a standard rep case? I found his sales listing from last year. Let me cut and paste:

"Solve your Speedy sub-dial spacing issues!!!! All you need is a gen dial, hands, movement ring, and a Tissot 861 and you have a great Speedy and a fraction of the cost. Gen case back, crown, crystal and dust cover. The rehaut has been machined by JMB so that a gen dial will fit. Note...A gen bezel will not fit on this case!!!! You'll have to use the existing one or go to a rep plastic bezel."

Now, I don't know what he used for a crystal, but I do remember it being a dome. I also don't think anyone ever bought this unfinished project.