• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Seized & Sued

WashedUpRealityTvStar

8/3/11
Hello:

After purchasing quite a few reps from China, the practical side of me has started to consider the inherent risk in this hobby.

For example, what's the worst that can 'really' happen if my goods are seized? I know what 'usually' happens: buyer ignores customs letter and that's that. However, what measures can large watch makers technically take against us? Has anyone ever been sued for importing a rep into the Conus? Has anyone been to jail for a rep?

In my line of work, legal issues related to the importing of illegal goods would end my career in an instant (as it could for many of us). Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

WURTS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PecMan

Put Some Respect On My Name
4/5/09
hi , well i know a friend of a friend actually his grandpa has a friend and that friend had a grandpa that bought some watches from china, he got some letters and a friend of a friend told him to ignore the letters , so he did .
after 28 days , the rbi got into his house and killed his whole family and took his cat , all this over some fossil replicas from watch eden

Anopsis

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/09
If it's happened I'm sure they'll speak up, but I'm not aware of anyone on RWI who has actually had legal action taken against them.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
hi , well i know a friend of a friend actually his grandpa has a friend and that friend had a grandpa that bought some watches from china, he got some letters and a friend of a friend told him to ignore the letters , so he did .
after 28 days , the rbi got into his house and killed his whole family and took his cat , all this over some fossil replicas from watch eden

His Fossil reps? Man. That sucks.

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
LOL remember the Fossil reps that Watcheden posted here? They were crap quality, and actually priced HIGHER then the GEN. :biglaugh:
Yes but, they will offer you 10 dolla discount on next wrong order!

WashedUpRealityTvStar

8/3/11
If it's happened I'm sure they'll speak up, but I'm not aware of anyone on RWI who has actually had legal action taken against them.

I've seen threads on RG where individuals have been threatened with a lawsuit.

PecMan

Put Some Respect On My Name
4/5/09
That Poor cat

dont worry about him , hes got a new family now , he is doing ok , just little bit more carefull and he hates fossil replica watches , even gen ones!
catpussy.jpg

Anopsis

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/09
I've seen threads on RG where individuals have been threatened with a lawsuit.

Oh, I'd imagine the confiscation letter threatens legal action if they don't comply, but it's still just a threat. I would have to think that for a first-time offense, and (should be) only one or two watches, that it would never advance beyond the threat stage. If it happens to me though, I'll stop sending them to my house and work out another way to get them in, such as shipping them to a friend. Being caught more than once would certainly escalate the chances of an actual lawsuit.

DaWatcher

29/3/11
I was arrested in Broward county last april for selling a replica to an P.I. which was accompanied with an undercover cop. It was stupidity in my part for sure, but you live and you learn, along with $4,300 out of pocket. So belive me they are out there for sure.

Anopsis

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/09
I was arrested in Broward county last april for selling a replica to an P.I. which was accompanied with an undercover cop. It was stupidity in my part for sure, but you live and you learn, along with $4,300 out of pocket. So belive me they are out there for sure.

No freaking way. That's a real surprise, that they would go to that much trouble. Especially when so many sales take place on forums like this one.
However, that was for a sale (still, sorry to hear it) and not a purchase. I still doubt anyone here has been sued/arrested for buying/importing a single watch.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
If you don't take possession of the watch, how can you be charged with anything?

If you get a letter, ignore it.

We have seen this discussion many times and I don't recall anybody in the US speaking up after they were charged/fined/etc.

I suppose there's a first time for everything.

DaWatcher

29/3/11
Like I said before it was my fault totally. I thought nothing wrong of selling a USED replica on craiglist. I was flagged on craigslist several times for having the ad posted, but I thought it was other people on there trying to prevent me from selling the watch. Little did I know it was Big Brother AKA Rolex doing the flagging. So rolex went ahead and hired a Private investigator, which built a case against me. He then took the transcripts of our emails to the broward police and was able to form a Sting Operation on me. It was quite funny actually, four unmarked cars came out of nowhere. They looked like they were all in S.W.A.T gear. All that for lil old me and my two tone sub with ceramic bezel,lol

DaWatcher

29/3/11
They even have a whole division dedicated to everything replica its called the E.C.U = Economics Crimes Unit.

WashedUpRealityTvStar

8/3/11

Thanks for the story. Sorry to hear about your out-of-pocket. :(