• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Ballon Bleu questions

KiloHotel

Horology Curious
8/2/09
I have a couple of questions. I am shopping for an automatic Cartier Ballon Bleu. Since I want an automatic, there are the issues of reliability and where to get it cleaned. What are the recommendations for getting a rep cleaned? What are the recommendations for the automatic movement? I have heard that the reliability of the 21J automatics is poor and I should only buy a high end rep. Is that true? And finally, which dealer would be the best source for this watch? I have not been able to find a medium (36-38mm) Cartier Ballon Bleu automatic with a steel strap, but I'm sure they are out there. I saw a post recently extolling Stan as a source for this watch. I have a problem with dealer names like Stan or Tony and others which I do not know. How do I get in touch with them if I do not know who they are. Give me a break, I'm a noob.

Thanks, Karl

exeekias

24/11/08
Hi and welcome.
Tony (watcheden.com) has a 38mm Santos with steel band. It even looks to have the proper oval shape to the date window. As far as I know there is no "high end" rep of the Ballon Bleu, and I've looked around for one. I don't own the one from watcheden but it appears to be a nice looking watch at a good price, and judging from the pictures it is about as good as you are going to get in a Ballon Bleu for now.

I wouldn't worry about the servicing or reliability of the 21j, it seems fine for the most part and is cheap to replace if it does crap out on you.

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
this is mine.. take a look 21j handwind...

CIMG9416.jpg

reliably like a tank... nuff said

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
Kilo-- let me save you some aggravation. I have ordered 5--count 'em, 5--of the 42mm 21j Ballon Bleus. All five have had major issues, and only one is currently working. I suspect there is something about the shape of the case that makes it incompatible with a 21j. I would definitely get the ETA if you're going to get the 42mm. I think Tony (at http://www.watcheden.com) carries it.

If you're looking for the medium size Ballon Bleu, you're not going to find an automatic. The mid-sized reps (36mm) only come in quartz. But since there's no second hand, it's not as big of a deal as you would think (although the gen does have a second hand). I have the mid-size quartz, and I've been very happy with it. Again, Tony is probably the best source for that, although Stan probably can get one.

KiloHotel

Horology Curious
8/2/09
Thanks for the tip that I will not find a 38mm automatic. My 6.8in wrist is too small for a 42. I really had my heart set on an automatic. Sarah at Rolex2u claims to have one, but I can not find it on their web site and I can not find the item number (12289) she sent me there either.

I hate to be dumb, but how can I learn unless I ask questions? Who is Stan and how can I reach him?

Karl

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
KiloHotel said:
I hate to be dumb, but how can I learn unless I ask questions? Who is Stan and how can I reach him?

Karl

Stan is 'WBKTime' in the dealer section...I have the larger BB with the cheap movement in it. Other than the fact that the bracelet is a bit flimsy and the crown is very hard to grasp to wind, it's been an alright watch. I've learned to wind it with one finger LOL.

Just for reference here is a shot on my 7 inch wrist. Good luck in your search.

IMG_0501Medium.jpg

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
KiloHotel said:
Thanks for the tip that I will not find a 38mm automatic. My 6.8in wrist is too small for a 42. I really had my heart set on an automatic. Sarah at Rolex2u claims to have one, but I can not find it on their web site and I can not find the item number (12289) she sent me there either.

Karl

Actually, I have smaller wrists than yours-- 6.5" inches. I wear both the mid-size and the large 42mm. I like them both, but I actually prefer the 42mm. It has a lot more wrist presence. If you really want an automatic, I'd go ahead and get the 42mm. It's a good size watch, but it's not like a Panerai or anything. It'll look fine on your 6.8" inch wrist.

KiloHotel

Horology Curious
8/2/09
cybee wrote
Other than the fact that the bracelet is a bit flimsy and the crown is very hard to grasp to wind, it's been an alright watch. I've learned to wind it with one finger LOL.

Why is it hard to wind? It's an automatic. Or is that the LOL.

Karl

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
KiloHotel said:
Why is it hard to wind? It's an automatic. Or is that the LOL.
Karl

Kilo, it is hard to wind because the crown is off-center in relation to the crown guard. So it makes it hard to get a hold of the crown to wind it. I've learned to wind it with one finger. The makers did a poor job of designing the case but maybe the newer models are better now, but I don't know if they are.

LOL=Laughing Out Loud. One finger winding is a little funny. Every time I wind it it makes me laugh.

KiloHotel

Horology Curious
8/2/09
I know what LOL means. I just wonder why one would need to wind an automatic watch. Playing the guitar should wind it 'automatically'. As seanf predicted, I can not find an automatic Baloon in the medium size. I may settle for the quartz or go for a different watch. Patek Philippe makes some attractive watches which are 38mm and thin for automatics. So many choices, so few wrists.

Karl

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
KiloHotel said:
I just wonder why one would need to wind an automatic watch.

I usually give em a few winds before putting on the wrist..it's just a habit of mine, that's all. :D

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
Thuis version of the asian 21j is the handwind version.. it does not have the rotor to give it energy. therefore the need to handwind..

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
alviando said:
Thuis version of the asian 21j is the handwind version.. it does not have the rotor to give it energy. therefore the need to handwind..

The version I own has a DG2813 which is an auto and has a rotor.

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
cybee said:
alviando said:

Oh, mine is totally handwind.. there seem to be many variations of this watch..

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
alviando said:
[

Oh. I didnt know they made a hand wind BB in the 42 mm except for the tourbillon model.

Incidentally I think it's still funny that everyone still calls the 2813 a 21 jewel movement. It actually has 22 jewels. It's found in a lot of inexpensive watches like the one below. Even the cartel boys refer to the 2813 as 21 jewel...not that they care since they are the ones that probably perpetuated it from the start.

-Movement-
Automatic DG-2813 movement w/ 22 jewels.

http://www.plunderhere.com/Rousseau-Gen ... 58490.html

Watcher88

Horology Curious
22/3/09
seanf said:
Actually, I have smaller wrists than yours-- 6.5" inches. I wear both the mid-size and the large 42mm. I like them both, but I actually prefer the 42mm. It has a lot more wrist presence. If you really want an automatic, I'd go ahead and get the 42mm. It's a good size watch, but it's not like a Panerai or anything. It'll look fine on your 6.8" inch wrist.

Agreed. I just got back from Thailand and bought a 42mm at MBK for one of my colleagues. She's a lady with a 6.5" wrist. Initially, she said it was too big for her - but once she tried it on, she fell in love with it!!

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
alviando said:
cybee said:
alviando said:

Actually, no. You have the 21j. There are only two versions of the 42mm watch (at least in terms of movements)-- the 21j and the ETA. You have to hand wind the 21j because the rotor is broken. I have to do the same to mine. But that's not the way it's SUPPOSED to work.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Well I'm not sure what you guys have in your BB... confirmed in mine is the 22 jewels (we can call it 21 jewels if that makes everyone happy) 2813, with a uni-directional rotor that does work and winds the watch properly. I guess I got lucky with mine.

IMG_0531Medium.jpg

36anne63

Known Member
7/1/09
KiloHotel said:

Karl

Here is the 12289

product-img--12289--1v.jpg

KiloHotel

Horology Curious
8/2/09
36anne63 wrote:
Here is the 12289

I found that watch, but it is not an automatic. If I wanted a quartz, I would order an 11758 without the diamond bezel.

Karl