• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New 6542 - budget factory option by TS-Station

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
My bezel is really loose
It turns by itself sometimes of how loose it is
Also the edges of the bezel are extremely sharp and get caught in everything.
Was planning to sand them down a bit
Any tips?
Can you remove the bezel and make the spring tighter so it isnt as loose?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Removing the bezel is the easiest thing ever. My method is handing the watch to my 3 year old daughter and ask her to turn it (which she actually loves). In less than one turn she's got it in her tiny hand. (might work with a 4 year old too).

Once you have it in your hands, get the tiny spring out and bend the middle parts a little bit. The idea is for the spring to offer a bit more friction. Don't bend them too much or you won't be able to put it back, though.

While you are at it, you might want to sand the bezel teeth a little bit too, of course. I would be very careful with that, don't know what material that bezel is made of but if you go too hard you will get a lot of material off and you will screw up completely. One small pass, check if it's still cuts like a razor, rinse and repeat. Patience is key here.

Other than that, you can work on the date overlay, clean the dial, etc. There's a lot of things to play around with this fella, my next move is to get a better crown & tube but I need some time as this May has been a bit hectic at work, so I'll look into it later this summer (the tube I brought from raffles is pure crap and the measurements were all wrong, as usual with Raffles -when will I learn...-).

Reactions: p0pperini

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
With all that being said, I think it's a great replica. Remember it's a replica of one of the most iconic watches ever, which now is practically unobtainable, and it actually looks really really cool! (which is the most important thing, of course). Even without any mods, it still looks very nice.

Vitor747

14/1/19
Puerto Rico
With all that being said, I think it's a great replica. Remember it's a replica of one of the most iconic watches ever, which now is practically unobtainable, and it actually looks really really cool! (which is the most important thing, of course). Even without any mods, it still looks very nice.

Thank you so much for your reply

Im really enjoying this watch

Ill remove the bezel and adjust the spring and sand it a little so it doesnt turn when you put you hand in a pocket

Im really into gmt’s
I have a gen 16710
A noob v9 116710
Now im only missing a 1675

This imposible 6542 is awesome
Not perfect but really fun to have

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Removing the bezel is the easiest thing ever. My method is handing the watch to my 3 year old daughter and ask her to turn it (which she actually loves). In less than one turn she's got it in her tiny hand.
Brilliant! (I’m hoping you’d done the initial edge sanding work before handing this otherwise dangerously sharp object over to her!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

W124E

Known Member
16/5/19
TS Watch lost their TD status for exactly that reason. They will not reship free. All their sales are PWS - Purchase Without Service. Once they ship they have no further responsibility.

I can now confirm this. I reached out to them for help last night and they basically told me to pound sand. Be careful out there, everybody.

Reactions: KJ2020

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I can now confirm this. I reached out to them for help last night and they basically told me to pound sand. Be careful out there, everybody.

This really is a terrible policy by TS. I was aware of it before I ordered, but because in the few months I've been collecting I haven't been aware of any other customs seizures I didn't feel it was really a risk. I now feel extremely lucky to have got away with my watch arriving safely.

cooler

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/2/12
Been a while since I've been here this watch brought me back.
Sorry to hear about seizure .
would love to see a white dial version of this from a trusted dealer.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Been a while since I've been here this watch brought me back.
Sorry to hear about seizure .
would love to see a white dial version of this from a trusted dealer.

Really nice one posted on RWG

RWG.jpg

Reactions: Vitor747

Vitor747

14/1/19
Puerto Rico
Removing the bezel is the easiest thing ever. My method is handing the watch to my 3 year old daughter and ask her to turn it (which she actually loves). In less than one turn she's got it in her tiny hand. (might work with a 4 year old too).

Once you have it in your hands, get the tiny spring out and bend the middle parts a little bit. The idea is for the spring to offer a bit more friction. Don't bend them too much or you won't be able to put it back, though.

While you are at it, you might want to sand the bezel teeth a little bit too, of course. I would be very careful with that, don't know what material that bezel is made of but if you go too hard you will get a lot of material off and you will screw up completely. One small pass, check if it's still cuts like a razor, rinse and repeat. Patience is key here.

Other than that, you can work on the date overlay, clean the dial, etc. There's a lot of things to play around with this fella, my next move is to get a better crown & tube but I need some time as this May has been a bit hectic at work, so I'll look into it later this summer (the tube I brought from raffles is pure crap and the measurements were all wrong, as usual with Raffles -when will I learn...-).

Removed the bezel sanded it down with 600 and then polished it a bit with 12000 grit
Bended the spring a little bit....
Much better

You where right
I should also have given the watch to my daughter ( mine is 2 didnt do it she might have tossed the warch across the room lol)
It popped right out without any tools

Reactions: Hinclimincli

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
By the way, is there some kind of confirmation that a 25-116 crystal from Clarks would fit this watch? I want to change crown/tube + crystal, to have a bit more of water resistance, and would like to know before ordering one. Did you manage to install it, Hor-Fan? I remember you mentioned the sides of the Clarks crystal were a bit too thick.

I'm talking about this crystal: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crystal-...643036?hash=item3b30f833dc:g:XKgAAOSwZLRZb4j3

With regards to crown & tube, I will probably order this set as the one I've got from Raffles is useless: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rolex-Cr...485110?hash=item44361a8a36:g:GJgAAOSwcGtcaBfO

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
By the way, is there some kind of confirmation that a 25-116 crystal from Clarks would fit this watch? I want to change crown/tube + crystal, to have a bit more of water resistance, and would like to know before ordering one. Did you manage to install it, Hor-Fan? I remember you mentioned the sides of the Clarks crystal were a bit too thick.

I'm talking about this crystal: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crystal-R...gAAOSwZLRZb4j3

With regards to crown & tube, I will probably order this set as the one I've got from Raffles is useless: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rolex-Cro...gAAOSwcGtcaBfO

The Clark’s 25-116 will fit the watch, but the cyclops alignment is not as good as the stock crystal. You might try a little silicone sealant on the base of the crystal to increase water resistance.
The crown/tube referenced is incorrect for this watch, you need a 6mm.

Last edited:

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
The Clark’s 25-116 will fit the watch, but the cyclops alignment is not as good as the stock crystal. You might try a little silicone sealant on the base of the crystal to increase water resistance.

Nice one, thanks a lot mate!

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09

On the crown & tube, I actually ordered that one just for the tube, as the tube that comes with the 6mm crown is a bit smaller than the hole in the case. Same happened when I ordered the tube & crown from Raffles, actually. Maybe there's a way to make a smaller tube work on a bigger hole, but my plan is to use the correct tube size (for this case) and keep the crown that came with the watch originally. Will probably use some loctite thread locker to keep it sealed and call it a day.

On the crystal sealing, I was planning to use something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50g-RESI...lue-acrylic-mineral-watchmakers-/192489394591

There is a nice tutorial on waterproofing, but I'm a bit wary of using cement hypo gs: https://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?/topic/5810-how-to-crystal-sealing-and-waterproofing/

After all this, the final step (and subject to time and money, one day) will be to get a real gilt dial ($300) and drool over it (once it's water resistant, of course!)

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Uhh... they've removed all of their handmade watches, and are now charging over $600 for a 6542 on their new site!? wtf

https://www.thevintagepower.cn/ref6542-p0064.html

That page is an absolute LOL. Look at this: https://www.thevintagepower.cn/6mm-c...9mm-p0084.html

$78 for a poorly finished tube & crown! (not including the $25 shipping costs for a thing that will come in a tiny envelope).

On the 6542, they claim it has a real gilt dial when you can see that it's clearly not. And they are installing a brevet crown which I'm not 100% sure is correct, to be honest. TS malpractice at its best.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stuessi and XLR8R

DeehNorris

Horology Curious
13/4/18
That's so bullshit, because they garnered some attention with their 6542 didn't mean that they can charge out of their asses for it. They don't realize people bought it because it was a good value, not a perfect product that is worth $600.

Reactions: Hor-Fan

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
That page is an absolute LOL. Look at this: https://www.thevintagepower.cn/6mm-c...9mm-p0084.html

$78 for a poorly finished tube & crown! (not including the $25 shipping costs for a thing that will come in a tiny envelope).

On the 6542, they claim it has a real gilt dial when you can see that it's clearly not. And they are installing a brevet crown which I'm not 100% sure is correct, to be honest. TS malpractice at its best.

TS "real" negative gilt

REAL negative gilt

djulink

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/9/14
Clearly a decal dial (but not a good one...)

Crown would be correct for the earlier version of the ref 6542 (but you’ll need to have a gilt handset to make it right)

Last edited: